Should I get the conrast dye for my MRI?

I’ve read up on it and it seems to harm a lot of people… My doctor said he is going to inject the dye into me so if their is a tear it will stick out more… has anyone got this and had problems or does anyone know about this and could suggest what I do? I do not want to take it if I don’t have to, it causes a very bad disease to some people.

The two MRI’s I’ve had both had dye in them both no side affects for me.

Everyone is different.

If you have any concerns talk to your doc about it.

The dye does help show any tears that you might have.

I work in radiology and would recommend having the MRI with contrast(dye). It really enhanced the imaging. Not to say you could not have a reaction but the chances are very small as compared to the iodineated contrast used in CT scanning.

Even with the contrast, there is a chance tears can be missed. My son’s teammate has had arm issues for a year now and he keeps getting a clean MRI on his elbow. Both times it was without contrast. I am convinced he has a torn UCL.

[quote=“parkee99”]I work in radiology and would recommend having the MRI with contrast(dye). It really enhanced the imaging. Not to say you could not have a reaction but the chances are very small as compared to the iodineated contrast used in CT scanning.

Even with the contrast, there is a chance tears can be missed. My son’s teammate has had arm issues for a year now and he keeps getting a clean MRI on his elbow. Both times it was without contrast. I am convinced he has a torn UCL.[/quote]I got the shot and haven’t had any problems yet, thank God. I will know the results on Tuesday, hopefully it’s not torn because I am a freshman in high school this year and I do not want to have to wait until next year to play. The doctor said it probably is because he didn’t like what I was telling him.

The question is, are you allergic to this dye or any component of it? If not, go ahead. If yes, you can proceed without it, or explore another alternative. 8)