Should i add a pitch to my arsenal

I am 14 years old i play rep and nowadays we have played about each team 5 times and alot of batters seem to know what i might through. so i want to learn a new pitch what should it be?

Honestly, you should be fine with that “deadly slider.”

if u have 4 pitches that have movement theres no way they should be able to guess it everytime… not even half the time… not even a quarter of the time

just need to learn how to mix it up, dont fall into a pattern

if u started the last 2 batters off with a fastball then curve, try fastball fastball
to the next hitter

if u struck out the previous 3 guys on your slider throw them a fastball with 2 strikes instead

someones going to mention that you shouldnt be throwing a slider at age 14 so, dont throw a slider till your 17/18 - try developing a changeup of some sort instead then when you come of age you can add your slider back and have an extra pitch

just dont fall into a pattern and you should be fine

Lol Offset called it. Stay away from the slider until you’re 19 or 20. That pitch causes an extreme amount of strain on your elbow tendons, and since you still have active growth plates in your body, it’s terrible to be straining them at that age. You’re begging for surgery. But as to your question, it’s always useful to add another pitch to your repertoire. I advise a sinker or cutter. Those are both types of fastballs and they’ll cause the least amount of strain on your arm. But if you’re 14 and you already have a 4-pitch arsenal congrats, you could be the next Mike Mussina.

its not only the pitches its also different lcations ad speeds

i wouldnt add another pitch…i catch a lot also and i catch guys who have 3 pitches (fastball, curveball, slider) and we do just fine. i also call my own pitches. so you and your catcher might want to work something out or let him know about this problem and see what he thinks.

Many moons ago my pitching coach told me, “Never the same pitch—never the same place—never the same speed.” Excellent advice. You need to mix up your pitches, vary the speed and the location but throw everything with the same arm motion and the same arm speed. He also told me that just about any pitch I threw (and I threw a lot of snake jazz, not having a fast ball to speak of) can be turned into a changeup—just do something different with the grip, loosen up on it.
I learned the slider when I was sixteen, and I never had any problems with it—it was the batter who had the problem, trying to get a piece of it. I was a natural sidearmer, which may have helped, because that delivery is the easiest on the arm and shoulder. I don’t know what arm angle you use, but I would suggest you go easy on the slider for the next year or two; however, don’t give it up altogether—it’s a deadly pitch indeed!

How do you throw your slider I have always wanted to learn. And it would be nice to have a “deadly slider”

Don’t worry about it now, your too young anyways.

Hi, jimster.
The way I learned it from my pitching coach (and he was an active major league pitcher who used it a lot), he told me, “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” He showed me the off-center grip he used—it was neither two-seam nor four-seam but somewhere in between—and he demonstrated the wrist action. Then he handed me the ball and said “Go ahead, try it.” In about ten minutes I got the idea.
What it is—you know how one usually throws a curve ball, with that downward wrist snap that looks like a karate chop or the motion you use when pulling down a window shade? You do the same thing, but instead you just turn it over. The wrist action is easier. And when thrown correctly, the slider is easier on the arm and the shoulder than almost any other pitch—especially if you throw sidearm, as I did.
So if you want to acquire that pitch, the best thing to do is find a good pitching coach who knows how to throw that thing and have him teach you how to do it. And when you get the hang of it, you can turn it into a changeup, or you can backdoor it—you can do a lot of things with it, and what it does to the batters! It was my best pitch, and I knew I could go to it when I had to go for the strikeout. Have fun! :slight_smile: