Shooting

So I havent gone shooting in a long time for fear of ruining my shoulder during the season. Any one else have to give it up? I remember when I was 12 I shot a M44 Mosin Nagant and it ruined my shoulder for a whole season. I mean like literally put me on the bench.

what were you shooting, tanks?

rambo,
most ballplayers get a hobby like fishing, cards, telling lies or chasing girls.

you have a gift in that arm. take care of it.

Well I suck at fishing, I cant keep a straight face for cards, but I dont have to chase the girls.
lol

yoou’re a good man (they’re the devil till they grow up).

ever try guitar hero

i’m old what does lol mean. i see it on here all the time lot’s of luck?

Haha, I mean they come to me. lol jk
lol means laughing out loud
or it originally did
now it means the ending to every instant message
lol
see! its impossible to stop once you start

and guitar hero is awesome :smiley:

you’re a real ballplayer dude.

7th inning and you’re up 1 run. where do you pitch 95% of the time regardless of who’s hitting?

Didnt Joel Zumaya injure himself playing Guitar Hero? I remember hearing something about it a couple years ago.

And Zambrano missed a couple starts because he was at the computer too much and got carpal tunnel (or something like that).

[quote=“kc86”]Didnt Joel Zumaya injure himself playing Guitar Hero? I remember hearing something about it a couple years ago.

And Zambrano missed a couple starts because he was at the computer too much and got carpal tunnel (or something like that).[/quote]

For Zumaya, I think GH loosened a finger ligament and it popped off when he was throwing. Something like that.

If hunting is your thing then learn to shoot from the other side…I’m a lefty and I can send a cotton mouth on vacation from the right or left…

That’s impressive JD

I’m probably going to feel stupid for asking, but what’s a cotton mouth? If you can’t shoot lefty, try putting something between your shoulder and the gun to soften the blow or something like that I guess.

[quote=“dusty delso”]you’re a real ballplayer dude.

7th inning and you’re up 1 run. where do you pitch 95% of the time regardless of who’s hitting?[/quote]

The answer is down and away, make him use the big part of the park to tie the game.

“That’s impressive JD”

Hummm…they don’t run so fast but when they get homey around your front door ya kinda have to pay some attention…but yah no doubt, you won’t see big game JD on Wild Kingdom…ever… :oops:

“what’s a cotton mouth?”

A pit vipor that hangs out around these here parts…also known as a water moccasson…we get timber rattlers, cane break rattlers and coral snakes, but the one we see the most is a cotton mouth. Florida ain’t all South Beach and Disney World, I live very close to the St Johns river and we see all sorts of critters, that wouldn’t mind eating you if you made a mistake.

We have rattle snakes around here, those Mojaves are the worst. The bad part is Im deathly afraid of snakes.

:cleverman: Wow, it seems like JD, WD, and Jacob have a lot more interesting lives than me. Wah.

I didn’t give it up per say, but my opportunities to go shooting always seem to come in the fall and offseason sort of thing.

When I was a lot younger (around 8 or so) I would shoot low-medium caliber stuff without it bothering me in the least. Never came home sore or anything. Wasn’t an active pitcher, but wow did I throw a lot back then, never had any issues.

Actually my most painful shooting memory was about age 8 or so, I was using an M-14 clone (mini-14). I didn’t square up the stock on my shoulder and it went right through and I got scoped around the eye. Unbelievably painful.

(If anyone reads that and feels that is excessively young, bear in mind at age 6 I got a 98% on the Hunting and Safety exam, I had to have someone as kindergartners aren’t particularly good readers, your supposed to be 12 to take the course and exam, lol)
But I digress…

A few friends of mine got into skeet/trap shooting a lot a year ago, and we’d go up, probably a hundred rounds shot for the day. My shoulder would be sore and we were only using 20 gauges.

Anything high caliber or low gauge I wouldn’t mess around with. The shoulder is an investment. Consider it like allowing someone to drive their fist into your should dozens of times. It is the same effects on the underlying soft tissue.

Learning to shoot with the other hand would be pretty sweet, problem is designed for righties practically. A friend of mine shoots righty and he is lefthanded just to make it easier in the long run.

Doing some stuff with a little .22 or something probably wouldn’t do much hard, and would help to satisfy a desire to go shooting.
If your actually hunting you may only fire a couple rounds the whole day, so that doesn’t do nearly the same thing to the shoulder either.

Ever shot a musket? That’s a big kick. I didn’t ever find a .12 gauge as having large recoil although compared to a .20 it is. I mostly shoot with .22 calibers though so that’s nothing too bad.

I got a bruise when I went hunting with my dad and fired his large caliber rifle (I don’t remember what it is) and the butt was not firmly against my shoulder. I think I was 12 at the time.

A musket would be quite an experience I must say.
Never shot one myself, I’ve always been a bit leery of the whole muzzle-loading thing haha.

For a 12 gauge, I never felt like it was the recoil of one shot, but after shooting a round of skeet or something, it takes a beating on the shoulder, at least for me. Although at the time I would have been like 6’ 150lbs, so there isn’t any natural padding in that region for me either lol.

Can you imagine muzzle loading while on the battlefield? It truly brings importance to the phrase, “one shot, one kill.”

It’s a bit tedious but firing a musket is fun.

[quote=“Spencer”]Can you imagine muzzle loading while on the battlefield? It truly brings importance to the phrase, “one shot, one kill.”

It’s a bit tedious but firing a musket is fun.[/quote]
Not just loading it, but loading while you know the guys across from you will all be shooting. Not fun. I guess thats why you get all the stories from the Civil War of guys loading several rounds into the gun and having it blow up in their hands when trying to fire.