Shake ball

i was reading a forum here, and someone said somethign about a shake ball. Komiyama throws one. any ideas on how to grip n throw the shake ball

its just a knuckleball

He hold it like a forkball but it is basically a knuckleball.

You’d be surprised at how many variations of pitches there are…there’s the knuckle-curve, for example. Now this “shake ball”—you use a forkball grip and throw it the way you would a knuckler. All well and good if one has a large hand and long fingers, which are prerequisites for throwing a forkball (or, for that matter, a split-finger pitch).
One of my favorites was the “slip” pitch—not to be confused with a pitch that slips out of a pitcher’s hand and falls to the ground with a “kerplop” a few feet away and results in a balk being called if there’s a runner on base! There are basically two versions of that pitch. One was, according to Paul Richards, a variation of the palm ball, which he brought up to the majors with him and taught to several guys on his pitching staffs in Chicago and Baltimore and which was effective if one could get it to work. The other, which I learned from Ed Lopat (who threw everything but the kitchen sink, and sometimes I think he threw that one too) was a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip (and you could use any of three or four different knuckleball grips)—I threw that one sidearm, my natural delivery, and I would crossfire it, and the batters used to scream blue murder, not to mention arson, first degree burglary, armed robbery, grand larceny breaking pitch and just about every other felony they could think of because they couldn’t hit it!!!
You can experiment with all sorts of combinations of pitches—it’s a lot of fun, and who knows, you could come up with something new and effective—much like the musical “variation s on a theme”. And when you have it down, have your control and command, you can really be a devastating pitcher. Go to it, and have fun making the hitters look very, very silly! :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

really when you think about it, there are 2 kinds of pitches, good ones and all the rest. don’t throw too many of those all the rest

This is a truely great quote for you young kids. Too many kids want 5+ pitches when they don’t have any good ones yet.

seriously, if you have just 1 PLUS PLUS PLUS pitch (fastball or knuckleball or Change up or Breaking Pitch) You can be successful by basing your pitching around that pitch.

Look at the Giants’ Madison Baumgarner. He got to the Show by throwing 1 PITCH(95mph fastball.). Baumgarner no longer goes straight fastball all of the time, I think he added a change-up and a slider to his repertoire.

Look at the Giants’ Madison Baumgarner. He got to the Show by throwing 1 PITCH(95mph fastball.). Baumgarner no longer goes straight fastball all of the time, I think he added a change-up and a slider to his repertoire.[/quote]

He was actually fairly successful with his slider through the minors. He did really mostly on the plus fatball and solid control though. Velocity was down toward the end o the season so we’ll see what happens next year.

[quote]He was actually fairly successful with his slider through the minors. He did really mostly on the plus fatball and solid control though. Velocity was down toward the end o the season so we’ll see what happens next year.
[/quote] Still name a starter that is successful with 2 pitches at most. (I am not talking about guys who base their games around 2 pitches, I’m talking about guys who throw JUST 2 pitches)

[quote=“kevinbert28”][quote]He was actually fairly successful with his slider through the minors. He did really mostly on the plus fatball and solid control though. Velocity was down toward the end o the season so we’ll see what happens next year.
[/quote] Still name a starter that is successful with 2 pitches at most. (I am not talking about guys who base their games around 2 pitches, I’m talking about guys who throw JUST 2 pitches)[/quote]

Madison does throw a change up, he just didn’t need it much in the minors. I know of zero MLB starters who throw only 2 pitches. Madison has yet to become a successful major league starter.

Yes Palo, he isn’t successful yet, but he is a bright spot. Did you read the article on Mariano’s cutter? I thought that was great stuff.

wasnt Koufax successful by only throwing a fastball and a curveball and he didnt use changeups until late in his short carrer. source: wikipedia :slight_smile: and Rivera is definitely a pitcher that bases his pitching around 1 pitch - DA Cutter.

Jowen, name a NORMAL person that throws just 2 pitches.

well, I only throw a fastball and I believe I am pretty normal…

p.s. only been pitching for around 2-3 weeks so…

I throw a 2 seam fastball or sinker - dunno which is which… I can get it to sink but sometimes it move left but sometimes it move right??? I have no idea how it works. Prefer the grip of 2 seam rather than 4 seam and 4 seam just move across the plate which i think its because of my arm angle and I have bad control of the 4 seam for some reason even tough it move less than my 2 seam???..

So you see, i only throw 1 pitch.

Pitch in a match for the first time, so nervous… seems like everyone is focusing on you. went for 2 innings. 7th inning - started of with 2 walks, double play then a strike out :slight_smile:
8th inning - single, then error to 2B… should have been double play again. man on first and 3rd. pickoff 1B but 3rd base runner ran for home so I throw it back home and got him out even tough runner did get 2B. Single, walk. and then double play. lucky. hhaha. BtW we won 13-5

Cool, but you will eventually have to add another pitch or two to your arsenal.

To Jowen, what you are probably doing to make it move to the right is pronating (turning your hand over to your glove side), which also accounts for some level of sink that you might see

sorry, but I dont think I do… I got a couple of guys to watch me pitch during training. turn out, there was. Btw got more control over 4 seam fastball but i grip it differently and slightly twist my wrist when I pitch it and It moves away from the batter.

BTW pitched 3 innings

7th inning - came in runner on first and second, 1 out, first ball double play. the batter was their 4th and was on fire and went 4 for 4 with 2 double, 3 RBI, 3 runs.

8th - ground out, 2 strike outs

9th - 3 strike outs in a row ( 1 of them try to bunt on 0-2 count…)

game ended - 9-10 we lost… I came in when we were 6-10. we could have won if their pitcher didnt intentionally walk our best hitter.

Jowen, Mariano uses his cutter 92% of the time. The other 8%? A two-seam fastball.

I dont know whether my pitch is a cutter or not, its more like a moving 4-seam fastball. since the break is caused mostly because of my arm slot but theres some downward movement.