Settle a debate I am having with my son

So I was discussing the concept of a perfect game vs a no-hitter with my son, and I kept arguing with him that the concept of a perfect game doesn’t make sense to me with its current definition… (More that I don’t like it because it really doesn’t seem “perfect” to me, and I am a stubborn mule!)

What will we say the day the first MLB pitcher strikes out 27-straight?

My son says it won’t ever happen… And I say it will definitely happen some day - and to me, that is a true “perfect game”

So, do you think the people of MLB would re-define perfect game at that point or come up with something else to say, such as a perfect game plus?

That sounds kind of silly - but I don’t know what could possibly be better than perfect :joy::joy:

The problem is that a perfect game is defined by MLB as no one reaching base. It is not dependent on the manner in which the batters fail to reach base. For instance, why should your suggestion of 27 strikeouts be the standard for a perfect game? Why not 27 pitches? Now that would be far more difficult to achieve than 27 strikeouts. But again, it’s about batters not reaching base, not about how they make outs.

The thing is if your son is a pitcher you are telling/instructing him perfection is a strikeout. So every time he gets a ground out he should fell less than superior since it wasn’t a perfect out? Then the kid puts too much pressure on himself trying to strike everyone out. Like south paw was getting at, perfection is the intent, no one reaching base and 27 outs doesn’t matter how they are made, those 7 guys behind you would get a snooze fest with 27 K’s.

My son doesn’t even play baseball… So I am not trying to teach him anything - sheesh, don’t worry…

Let’s talk about this more because I am trying to get on board with the current definition, however it seems to want to reward just the pitcher and only the pitcher, when in reality, by the current definition, it requires that the rest of the team is playing good eniugh to field the balls that ARE hit to ensure they’re guaranteed outs.

What if a pitcher is working towards a PG and is in the final inning, pitches a ball meant to be popped up and caught as an easy out, and the fielder drops it… And the PG is ruined… Seems unfair, no?

I guess what I am saying is that there are multiple ways to pitch for outs, including involving the rest of the team and hoping that they’re ready to field the hit balls to make sure the batter doesn’t get on base, and to me, the rest of the team deserves kudos too for performing their jobs if a PG is earned, yet they tend to be ignored and it’s all the pitcher, when to me - it STILL required other people acting.

So, for a pitcher to be independently perfect - to not rely on anyone else on the team having to perform their job correctly… I say the 27Ks is perfect for just the pitcher and the pitcher alone - and yes, it might be super boring for everyone else on the field - but is this making any more sense ?

I guess I want to know if / when the day comes when an MLB pitcher will get 27Ks straight, would that still also be called a PG and not something different to show it really was the pitcher and the pitcher alone… But no, I guess the catcher can’t be dropping the balls either…

Ugh… This is seriously causing me to think too much :see_no_evil:

Kershaw with a perfect perfect game in HS (and hit a HR).

It’s pretty simple. No one reaches base it’s a perfect game. Baserunner(s) reach on error, HBP, etc with no hits it’s a no hitter. No hitters at the big league level aren’t common, perfect games even less so. Only guy I know of that can strike out everyone is Kent Murphy, he’s pretty special. Can look him up on YouTube

It’s all about pitch count. For a hot pitcher to pitch a whole game he is going to have to get players to hit into outs. It would be very hard to strike out 27 batters in a MLB game. The only pitcher I think that could have done that was Nolan Ryan because he sometimes threw 140+ pitches in a game. Most coaches will get very nervous around 100 pitches.

And Roger Clemens. Perfection is a team thing. A perfect season means not to lose all year, but that doesn’t mean the individuals on the team didn’t make mistakes. I believe you are over-thinking this.

Right. The Miami Dolphins had what is considered a “Perfect Season” when they went undefeated (17-0) in 1972. But their opponents scored plenty of points on the Dolphins that season, with one game being a 2-point win and another game being a 1-point win!