See anything?

Just turned 11. Very accurate. During spring season he pitched 49.1 innings. Struck out 117 and walked 28. Threw a strike rate of .672. Threw 2 six-inning complete games.

Slow Mo delivery

I took a look at your son’s mechanics and they look relative good especially for his age. One main thing I saw beginning at 0:24-0:26, watch his back (drive) leg collapse. He should work to keep that extended to maintain power in his delivery. Compare his position to Chapman who keeps his leg extended to maximize velocity. (I cant post a picture here but Im sure you can find one). Feel free to message me anytime.

He looks good. I see no back leg collapse whatsoever. I would shorten his initial step back. It should be a small step.

I need some help you guys could you help me?

Start a thread.

Done.It’s on video analysis

I saw a couple things, just my own views:

1. He has really “big” movements from the beginning to the end. It can be both good and bad. With his STAT, it means he has great control and velocity, so it’s good. But if runner is on base, would he know how to “slide step” to prevent the runners stealing?
  2. Around frames 0:24-0:27, his back foot was “dragging” forward. Although his motion was towards the home plate, the “dragging” would “counter” his momentum and reduced his power transfer.
  3. Around the same time, his arm slot was down then up. Ideally, the ball should be at the “height” of his release to achieve maximum velocity. I noticed, the ball went backward almost 90 degree, then his elbow sprung his forearm like a “catapult”. I also think this can be “good” and “bad”. I have seen in Japanese animation for specially talented pitchers with similar “flexibility” in arms/elbow. It caused a “delay” the ball releasing, and this would mess up the batter’s timing and gave him the impression of faster speed/movement. The downsize could be that your son put too much pressure on his arm/elbow with such jerky movement. I am not a doctor and I don’t know your son’s body to derive any conclusion.
  4. The 28 Walks is a bit high, and it might be interpreted as lack of command. Remember in little league, most batters aren’t that good or can swing the bat well. There is really no need to throw balls if he can improve his control.

Good luck and enjoy baseball always!

Alex

I’d be careful that he doesn’t lose any forward momentum if he decides to shorten his step back.[quote=“TGoldy, post:2, topic:20308”]
One main thing I saw beginning at 0:24-0:26, watch his back (drive) leg collapse.
[/quote]

I did not see a back leg collapse, but at :25 I saw some strange forward elbow movement that I don’t typically see. It’s as if his transfer of energy from external rotation is delayed. It’s not so much the positioning, but how it gets there. Does anyone else see that?

I think everything looks pretty good.

• Lots of momentum towards the plate.
  • Step back is a little much, but like CP said if you adjust that make sure it’s not reducing momentum.
  • Hip/Shoulder separation looks good, but appears to stride a little open which opens his shoulders a little early.
  • External rotation is great.
  • The release it out front where it should be.
  • I’d like to see the front leg firm up a little and follow through towards the plate instead of off towards first.

Overall - really good delivery even though it does look a little weird at delivery (0:25).

Thanks for all the input. I am a coach (High School and younger). Always good to hear others.

Comments:
I dont see back let collapse either.
Front leg firm — he does pitch like Seaver and Tanaka with that best front leg. His does keep it fairly stiff even though bent.
Stride is right in line with the plate. We think he starts to open just a tad before foot plant which opens his shoulders a little early… we will take a look at the stride and see if that is a cause.
He does a good job on driving hip then front shoulder to plate - we see that as well and work constantly on it.
Stepping back… a little bigger than what i would suggest but it is his comfortable stride and keeps him in a rhythm I think.

Walked 28 in 50 innings is a bit high? We were pretty thrilled with only 1 walk every other inning at this age. That is a 4 walks per 9 innings. That is just over what the Colorado Rockies pitched as a team last year - and a bunch better and a whole lot of MLB pitchers!. LOL

He throws low in the zone and many Youth Umps will not call that pitch near the knees and will call everything over the letters. The coaches were pretty thrilled with a 28/117 walk to strike ratio. Most of the other players were 2 walks (or more) PER inning!!! He was 10 all season, so 1 walk every 2 innings is not bad.

Update on that now in travel ball - Has pitched 8 innings so far and not a single walk. New coach likes that!

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT!!!