SEC Pitcher

I am a SEC pitcher but I am only 5’8. I was in the low 90s over the top but converted to drop down as sidearm. I have the movement but lost a lot of velocity. I have only been throwing like this for about 5 months now and I know that when you drop down you’ll lose velocity. I was wondering what I can do to get my velocity back? I am also looking for a way to keep my body going towards home instead of falling off to the right.

Why the change in slot?

Their changing my slot because with my height I can’t get the angle throwing over the top like other D1 pitchers.

Go back to overhand and you’ll get your velocity back;-)
Not sure what else we can help you with if we can’t see you throw.

Blue Jays top prospect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1L-qqJ5ZNw

He is like 5’8 or 5’9. Not sure what angles has to do with being a successful pitcher. Tall pitchers get shelled when they suck. Not very many people throw low 90’s, I would say don’t ditch something that you are simply really good at.

Probably not the best example, since he’s serving a 50 game suspension for PED use.

This one is, however:

Tim is around 5’7" and is the current setup man for the Royals. Also an undrafted FA out of HS.

This is the only video I have at the moment.

Ill take any pointers.

[quote=“kyleb”]Probably not the best example, since he’s serving a 50 game suspension for PED use.

This one is, however:

Tim is around 5’7" and is the current setup man for the Royals. Also an undrafted FA out of HS.[/quote]

He got caught with PED’s?? I couldn’t find anything about his suspension online

Maybe not but still. I am a fan of Stroman, but Collins is another excellent example. All I think is ride the horse that got you there.

I thought you were talking about Tim Collins. My bad

I thought you were talking about Tim Collins. My bad[/quote]
Tim Collins, as far as I can tell, has and will do everything the right way. Just ask Eric Cressey, he is a workhorse.

I actually really like Stroman too. He’s just not the best example :slight_smile:

[quote=“obaseball9”]This is the only video I have at the moment.

Ill take any pointers.[/quote]

It appears that you threw with both arm slots in this video ? What is your velocity when you drop down to side arm ?

MIZ

I can tell you first-hand why college coaches tend to drop guys:

1. You struggled getting outs and they think this is a last alternative.
  2. It gives their bull-pen a different look and possibly provides match-up guys out of the pen.

Velocity should be your last concern, location with movement and sink should be a top priority along with developing a swing and miss pitch whether its a change or “frisbee” slider. If your pitching in the SEC, you don’t have much room for error, so trying to alter mechanics is going to be next to impossible while competing at that level. Any level really.

Mechanics should be at the bottom of the list as well. I don’t understand why most coaches and players feel they need to “change” mechanics during a competitive cycle (season). It’s not going to benefit you, it’s only going to split the brains duty, not good.

The intent of side-armers is to shift and spin guys, not blow them away.

I transferred in from a juco and before I even threw over the top they dropped me Dow as soon as I got here. At first when I dropped down my velo was 86-88 but started to drop from there all the way down to 83. I have worked on getting the velo back up and have a few pitches that go in on a righty and away from a righty. I feel velo will only help if I can keep the movement.

Far from an expert on delivery of a side arm or low 3/4 arm slot. My son uses that arm slot at times out of the stretch to give a different look at thats it. As stated before, that must be there intent (a differing look out of the pen) and I would hope your coach would have communicated that with you and/or they are hoping to see improvements sooner rather than later ???.

Can you tell us why they have dropped you down, I believe they started changing your mechanics 5 months ago during the fall.

I feel like with the movement that I have. The one MLB pitcher I think I look most like and should follow is Serigo Romo.

Safe bet would be to head to Eric Cressey’s site and go through all his baseball content. A fix all, no but I am willing to bet you could benefit from some lower half and scap work.

I can’t tell you much about the transition - However, some of the overhand fastballs looked good - I would be proud of them; if they were mine!