Season 2006

Well, some of you might remember me, Im 16 (soon to be 17) and I live in Australia and recently got one on one tutoring from Nathan and Tristand Crawford (minor leaguers). My team is currently sitting in 6th place and has a very good chance of making the finals. I’m their starter and I also play for 3 levels of Major League teams here in Australia.
I throw fastball, screwball, and curveball. Here are my stats for halfway through the season.

Pitching Stats W 4 L 2 ERA 4.38 SV 0 IP 39 K 21 BB 23 Hits 41 R 31 ER 19

My ERA is below league average but I would like to cut down on my walks and boost my strikeouts. Last year I had 31 strikeouts in 17 innings.
Also last year I had many injuries that ended up getting me an ERA of 5. My career ERA is 4.38 over 3 seasons, 32 runs earned in 59 innings with 53 strikeouts.
The first half of this season was very eventful and surprising. I emerged as the number one pitcher of the team after pitching only 20 innings the two years beforehand. The first couple of games I did not pitch but came on in relief in the third and shut down the opposition and also earning the starters role. Since then I have just been riding the wave of luck that has come my way. After earning the starters spot my reputation grew amoung my club and league and I got promoted to C-Grade, B-Grade, and finally A-Grade which is the top grade in Australian baseball. It was quite a big achievement because no one in the history of my club (maybe even league) has made it that far at the age of 16. So smooth sailing was the theme of the 1st half. During the offseason however I decided to get serious. I researched intense workout programs and eventually created one that suited me.

General Warmup
Squat 1x10
Lunge 1x10
Circle Toe Touch 1x10
Good Morning 1x10
Trunk Twist 1x10
Arm Cirlce 1x10

Dynamic Warmup
Leg Swing 1x10
Crossover Leg Swing 1x5
Hip Flexion/Extension 1x10
Crawl Under Bar
High Knees 2x10m
Butt Kicks 2x10m
Shuffle 2x10m
Carioca 2x10m

Lower Body Workout
Stiff Legged Barbell Deadlift 3 sets/12 reps
Seated Leg Curl 3 sets/12 reps
Leg Extension 2 sets/10 reps
Calf Raise 1 set/10 reps
Lunges/Dumbell Lunges 2 sets/10 steps

Speed
Shuttle Runs
Standing Sprints
X-Jumps
W

Upper Body Workout
Close Grip Bench Press 3 sets/8 reps
Bench Press 4 sets/8 reps
Dumbell Flies 2 sets/12 reps
Overhead Dumbell Extension 2 sets/10 reps
Bent Rows 2 sets/ 10 reps
Side Lateral Raise 2 sets/10 reps
Cuban Press 2 sets/10 reps
Inclined Bench Press 2 sets/8 reps
DB Row (Palm In) 2 sets/8 reps
Barbell Shrugs 1 set/10 reps

Crunches
Normal 2 sets/10 reps
Oblique 2 sets/10 reps
Reverse 2 sets/10 reps
Knee Ups 1 set/10 reps
Seated Leg Tucks 1 set/10 reps
V-Ups 1 set/10 reps
Pump Sit Ups (Bicycle) 1 set/10 reps

Stretches (2x10 seconds)
Standing Quadriceps Stretch
Seated Back Twist
Buttock (Piriformis) Stretch
Back Stretch
Standing Calf Stretch
Butterfly Groin
Hip Flexor Stretch
Lying Hamstring Stretch
Seated Hamstring Stretch
Arm Stretch
Forearm Stretch

This program including extended running has helped me to peak. It has helped me immensely in strength, agility, fitness and mentally.
The second half of the season is going to be very interesting. I am going to lift my game big time on the field and during training and try to be as dominant as possible. Ive been working on my Randy Johnson face. lol. I have convinced myself to be more agressive and intense on the field. Again, the same will occur with my batting. I decided that I need to be more agressive and swing harder and faster. Keep my eye on the ball and just explode.

Ive improved both physical and mental aspects of my game as well as my pitching mechanics. If you have any tips or comment feel free to post.

I will keep you updated on the season to come…it starts in about 20 days.

~TIMOTHY~

that is very impressive, keep up the hard work. i as a youth baseball coach can probably tell you the same as a h.s. , college, and pro coach that you are lacking one of the most important pitches of all. the change-up or the split finger fastball. you are not keeping the batters of balance. try it you’ll see.

good luck
                                it will take some time

Your advice is totally correct. I have tried working on my circle change. But im inaccurate. I know it won’t come overnight but ill keep working on it.
But I wont start workin for a week or so because I think I blew my arm out yesterday.
It was two outs in the third inning and we were up 9-1 or something. I had been throwing hard all day and my arm felt better than it ever had before. But I pitched a fastball and I felt a pinch inside my elbow and it sent pain up and down my arm and I stayed hunched for a lil while. But I got back up and threw a couple of practice pitches and it was fine. I finished off the next batter and was dragged the next inning.
I think I was dragged at the right time because any more pitching would have seriosuly done my arm in. Its still sore but it should be OK by Saturday…hopefully.

[quote=“the_great_one42”]But I pitched a fastball and I felt a pinch inside my elbow and it sent pain up and down my arm and I stayed hunched for a lil while. But I got back up and threw a couple of practice pitches and it was fine. I finished off the next batter and was dragged the next inning.
I think I was dragged at the right time because any more pitching would have seriosuly done my arm in. Its still sore but it should be OK by Saturday…hopefully.[/quote]

The pain you are feeling results from a mechanical flaw in your motion. You are putting more load on it than it can handle.

Do you follow the common advice and show the ball to Center Field?

At a glance, I would suggest that you need to learn to pronate your foreram as you start turning your shoulders. Otherwise you will end up like Mark Prior.

I can explain how to do this if you’d like.

I think i might have a similar problem. My elbow hurts after throwing, even when I only throw 10-20 pitches. I feel like I’m doing something wrong with my mechanics, maybe using to much of my arm to throw. I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Is there anything I can do?

How old are you?

i just turned 16

At 16, the growth plate of your medial epicondyle (the bony bump on the inside of your elbow) may still be open. What you may be feeling is the result of strain being put on the growth plate.

I would consult a physician who is knowledgeable about sports medicine. You need to see whether your Medial Epicondyle is closed or still open. That will guide the recommendations.

If the growth plate of the Medial Epicondyle is still open, then the only solution is to reduce how much you are throwing. If it’s closed, then you might be able to benefit from some strengthening (aka pre-hab) exercises.

However, you have to be careful. Too much pre-habbing while this growth plate is still open could things make worse, not better (by increasing the force that is trying to pull the medial epicondyle off of the humerus).

Your right. But theres one thing your missing. That is the first time I have ever felt pain in my arm when im pitching…ever…
It hurt last night and this morning but it was more of an ache. I wrapped bandage around it before school today to prevent excessive movement and when I got home I took it out of the bandage and iced it for a while. Ill put the bandage bak on before I go to bed tonight and leave it on until tomorrow afternoon.
But yeh, I have been trying to work on my mechanics. But I have never felt any pain before. Maybe it was because I was throwing harder than I usually do and thats what caused the pain. Because my arm felt really good last saturday and I threw very hard. Thats when I got the sudden pinch in my arm.

This is a really troubling sign; the sudden pinch.

Have you seen a doctor? If not, you should.

I am going to training this afternoon and see how it is then. If it hurts I will stop immediately and see a doctor…Ill keep you informed.

Please do (and please do).

Ok, I got back from training. At first it was uncomfortable to throw but it got better, then slowly it started to get worse. So I stopped. But I was told by the Major League coach that it is probably just a pinched nerve.
I have been told that I am not going to be starting this weekend because its not worth it (we’re versing a team that only has 1 win).
So I will probably be plugged in at first base or something. So yeh, I have a week off from pitching and then I should be ok hopefully. Depends how badly Ive blown my arm out.

[quote=“the_great_one42”]Ok, I got back from training. At first it was uncomfortable to throw but it got better, then slowly it started to get worse. So I stopped. But I was told by the Major League coach that it is probably just a pinched nerve.
I have been told that I am not going to be starting this weekend because its not worth it (we’re versing a team that only has 1 win).
So I will probably be plugged in at first base or something. So yeh, I have a week off from pitching and then I should be ok hopefully. Depends how badly Ive blown my arm out.[/quote]

A pinched nerve isn’t something to be taken lightly. Instead, you may have something called Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and the pain you feel may be an indication of the presence of scar tissue building up in your elbow. All of this may be a harbinger of the need for Tommy John surgery.

If that’s the case, then taking a week off won’t be enough.

I would strongly recommend that you go see an M.D.

I would also suggest that the only way to keep this from getting worse is to learn to pronate your forearm as you accelerate your arm toward the plate (and not just while releasing the ball).

Chris is 100% correct, but if your General Practitioner tells you that it’s “Tennis Elbow” or burcytis and perscribes anti-inflammatory medication, be skeptical. The vast majority of practicing physicians are not very knowledgeable about what you are doing to your arm in the throwing motion, even here in the states we have few that understand elbow issues and even fewer that understand the shoulder. My son developed a shoulder issue and it was such that we had to search far and wide for a doctor that knew what was going on enough to help, he was the 4th doctor we went to and Florida is one of the strongest states for baseball in America. So be careful, if the pain doesn’t go away find a Sports Medicine oriented phyiscian get cured and don’t just treat the symptoms. Good Luck mate and goodonya!

“The vast majority of practicing physicians are not very knowledgeable about what you are doing to your arm in the throwing motion, even here in the states we have few that understand elbow issues and even fewer that understand the shoulder.”

This is unfortunately very true.

Don’t let the M.D. write this off to something easy. If I were in your position, I would push for an MRI.

aren’t MRI’s expensive?

Your quote says “Pitching is my life”. If you believe that then what is it that can get in your way, expense? Inconvienience? Sure it may be expensive but as I look at what you are willing to do to prepare for your sport, you seem to have a great self-starting work ethic and a can do attitude. Well, over-coming an injury is just another obsticle in your path (If you hadn’t experienced some injury now at some point the odds are that you would). This is how it is in life, you want something, you start down the path to achieveing it and something gets in your way, now your choice is; Do you want it enough to over come what is in your way? If yes, then you will find a way in which you can get past it. Some people really get the old juices flowing when faced with a hurdle, some just fade and go on to other things. I want you to always remember that at least 2 major leaguers to my knowledge played with the loss of an arm, one of them threw a no hitter. I don’t know you, but I believe from what I’ve seen you write that you have it in you. My family will add you to our prayers. Can’t wait to see the newest phenom from Australia hit the bigs!

If you are interested in preventing medial (inner) elbow pain, then you might want to read this article that I just posted over in the Pitching Mechanics area…

Phenom? lol, I doubt it but thanks for the compliment.
Your right about the work ethic though. All I want to do is pitch. Even when I blew my arm out all I wanted to do was keep pitching and pitching and we were up by 9 runs.