Scouting reports

Hey, how do I make my own scouting reports? What do I need to focus on?
How can I see their weaknesses?

I want to pitch more effectively by analyzing those reports together with my team to win more.

Thanks,
Mikaa

I would argue, and some would disagree, that scouting reports at any level below the professional level or high end DI are ineffective. I pitch for a DI school but at the lower end of DI and the hitters on the teams we play are just not consistent enough to prove their own scouting reports right.

I use scouting reports for every game but really the only thing I pay attention to is 1st pitch agressiveness and how many SB’s vs SBA’s they have. And maybe if they like to bunt.

Other than that - slap, pull, whatever at most levels its just not necessary to have scouting reports.

This is just my own opinion dealing with SR’s for the last 4 years.

Very true—you really can’t rely too much on “scouting reports” per se, even at the major league level, because there are too many variables. Here’s a story that illustrates this point:
The general manager of one team got wind of a pitcher in one of the lower minor leagues who was, according to all accounts, a phenomenon, and so he sent a scout to check this guy out. The pitcher was everything that had been advertised—speed, control, stuff, the works. He pitched a perfect game; only one batter got a loud foul off him. The scout watched the game, and he wired his report back to the GM. Back came the reply: "SIGN UP THE GUY WHO GOT THE FOUL! WE’RE LOOKING FOR HITTERS!"
In order to really put together a decent scouting report on an opposing team’s strengths and weaknesses you have to know their hitters. My pitching coach of long ago—Ed Lopat, one of the Yankees’ fabled Big Three rotation and one of the finest pitching coaches one could ever hope to work with—told me about this in the course of a discussion of strategic pitching. You have to know their hitters, from the top of the lineup on down. You have to know their opposing pitchers—does one of them, perhaps, have a weakness that can be exploited? You have to know the team’s defense—is there a hole that can be taken advantage of? As I said—so many variables, and it takes time. In the long run it will pay off. 8)

I would agree with Undersized points.

Assuming you’re on a lower level right now (i.e. high school/middle school), you’re not going to have the depth of scouting reports to really see trends.

In high school, I would focus on key points such as, how aggressive are they early in the count, do they have the bat speed to catch up to my fastball inside, do they steal, etc…

Once I got to college, I would then have more data to go from with hitting charts and could find trends.

Stu