Scorekeeper

Started keeping pitching stats more similar to your recommendations. In our final scrimmage game, using five pitchers, these were the results:

20 Batters Faced
83 Pitches
53 Strikes
30 Balls
12 Ks
1 Walk
1 Hit
11 First Pitch Strikes
11 Second Pitch strikes
6 Fall behind the hitter at 2 balls
0 Runs

[size=9](Added batters faced)[/size]

I use these exact same stats too when talking to my pitchers following a performance. The only stat i would add to this list is BF (batters faced). That puts into context efficiencies of pitch counts, strikes and balls thrown, etc. I personally have not had the need for any additional stats from an insruction/coaching standpoint… and measurement of progress throughout the srason standpoint.

First a disclaimer- I have no commercial interest or affiliation with this product. I just think it’s cool.

I have been monitoring a high school team using a stats program called “Gamechanger”.

As I understand the process it is free for a coach or administrator to sign their team up for the service. Stats are entered through an app on a coach’s or scorekeeper’s phone. In this particular case a player or assistant coach uses the coach’s phone to record the game from the bench.

Every pitch and its result is recorded as it happens. The rest is pretty automatic and the stats this thing spits out are amazing.

For instance for hitters- in addition to the standard stuff- there is a category for “patience, speed and power” as well as “quality at bats”. sample stats for “patience, speed and power” are:
PA/BB,
PA/K
BA/RSP.

Sample stats stat “quality AB” would be:
2S+3- how many times did a hitter see 3 or more pitches after he had two strikes on him, pitches seen/AB, %AB with 6 or more pitches, and 2 out RBI.

Pitching is very interesting. Again there is the standard stuff but there are other categories measuring efficiency, command, batter results and more.

Some sample stats for “efficiency” would be:
<3% (% of batters out or on in 3 pitches or less)
leadoff outs (leadoff hitters retired)
<13 (innings with less than 13 pitches)
Percentages are given for these stats as well

Stats for “command” would be:
FPS% (first pitch strike %)
FPSO% (AB’s with first pitch strikes resulting in outs)
FPSW% (AB’s with first pitch strikes that resulted in walks)

Again all this stuff is recorded and calculated seamlessly as a pitch and results are entered. Evidently there are over 120 stats and metrics for each player.

Also there are various filters for league games, non-league games etc.

Parents or fans can monitor games in real time either on line or on their phone. I believe alerts can be sent to your phone for various things like when your son gets a hit or has an AB, etc. I believe there is a $10 fee for this per year.

In keeping with the theme of the thread I would think you could set up a separate team account to monitor each pitcher’s bullpens and practice sessions. Some stats would be irrelevant or meaningless but I think you can filter out the ones you don’t want.

Those things are all great, and certainly are miles ahead of what were being used even as little as 10 years ago! But, they aren’t the end-all. Having been something of a stat geek and innovator, I’ve found out over the years that there are always better and more informative stats out there. What’s kool is, its always fun see a stat someone is doing and incorporate it into what you do. What’s sad is, running into people who are so set in their ways, they aren’t receptive to new ideas about an old stat or refuse to even consider new ones.

As I looked at all those metrics mentioned so far, there are some questions I have on a few or them. FI, on West2East’s list, I don’t quite understand why listing 2nd pitch strikes without the context of what the 1st pitch was. And what is “Fall behind the hitter at 2 balls”? Something I’ve done ever since I started tracking stats is, rather than keep track of only strikes and balls, I separate strikes into 2 categories. BIP strikes and not, and balls.

Steven makes a remark I’ve heard many times before, and just chuckle every time. Anyone saying they don’t have the need for any other metric than the ones they use, usually means they haven’t seen all the metrics available, or don’t understand many of the ones they have. LOL!

JP’s post is a bit more interesting in my eyes for a couple of reasons. The 1st one is that MaxPreps, which is a service for HS teams to post stats among other things, has partnered with GameChanger, so I’m somewhat familiar with it. Another reason is, it demonstrates how overwhelming it can be to have an information overload. Personally, I generate about 400 possible different metrics for each player, and can say without a doubt that while its great having all the different things to look at, there just isn’t enough time in the day to analyze more than several different metrics at a time and manage to keep things straight.

The one area of analysis I find lacking in almost all software stat programs, or coaches doing their own special metrics, is looking at pitchers 3 ways. Overall numbers of course, but also with runners on and without runners on. When I began looking at things that way, an entire new world of analysis opened up.

Here’s the thing though. No matter what anyone does, it can be done better and more efficiently, and no matter how good anyone thinks their system is, it can be improved on. :wink: