Scholarships

i heard somewhere that only D1 schools give out scholarships. Does that mean that D2/D3 schools jsut dont offer them or they arent full rides?

Any school can give out a scholarship

Only DI and DII can give out athletic scholarships.

DI has more money to use for athletics than DII

therefore there arn’t many full rides in DII schools.

DI Full Rides are extremely rare due to the fact there are only 11.7 scholarships to go around.

Some universities don’t have any kids on a full ride. The rules have been ammended to make a minimum scholarship amount, but for the last several years there are kids who have been going on amounts of scholarship that equates to “book money”

As long as small private schools with smaller amounts of endowment continue to compete in division I baseball, the whole full ride thing won’t ever become a reality like it is in basketball and football.

NAIA has scholarships too.

Forgot about NAIA, good call there.

The full-scholarship comes into play when there is a high schooler who would be a first or second rounder who is set on going to college. Then a coach would use this to make the commitment more enticing.

The letter of intent is a yearly contract, but the thing about baseball is you’re garunteed the played until their Junior year, because the MLB has strict rules on the draft age/grade.

The exception of course is 21 year olds can be drafted as frosh/sophs

yep.

DIII schools can give out scholarships because a kicker in my area received a scholarship to play at Union College

Not an athletic scholarship

I think it was IDK :?:

It would be against the rules if they did.

Remember also (unless something has changed in recent years) that unfortunately these agreements are “renewable” every year. Coaches can, and do, pull $$$ away from kids for reasons that they deem appropriate. If I had a kid signing with a school, I would have this discussion up front with the coach…and have them commit in writing that this would not happen (I have done this) .

To me it’s very unfair to have a kid who is in good academic standing, working hard on the field, then have $$$ pulled from him because he hasn’t lived up to the coaches expectations OR because more money is needed to land a new recruit. It can get ugly out there … trust me .

OK it was a academic scholarship sorry for confusion. But hey he’s playing football :smiley:

[quote=“terprhp”]Remember also (unless something has changed in recent years) that unfortunately these agreements are “renewable” every year. Coaches can, and do, pull $$$ away from kids for reasons that they deem appropriate. If I had a kid signing with a school, I would have this discussion up front with the coach…and have them commit in writing that this would not happen (I have done this) .

To me it’s very unfair to have a kid who is in good academic standing, working hard on the field, then have $$$ pulled from him because he hasn’t lived up to the coaches expectations OR because more money is needed to land a new recruit. It can get ugly out there … trust me .[/quote]

In the letter of intent it clearly states that your contract is renewed each year and the terms can be changed if deemed necessary.

I don’t think its unfair to pull money away if you’re not performing up to expectation, the money was given in the first place for you to contribute to the team.

some of the best scholarships available today are in junior college programs and signing with the scholarship package included in your contract.

Well thats probably going to slow down since you can’t transfer into Division I without sitting out a year now.

what i see happening is players who have talent will just sign professionally with the education package included in their contract, go play and find out if they can make a living playing the game, and if not, go back to school and do it right. if you train as hard as you can, it’s next to impossible to keep up with a difficult degree plan unless you are intellectually gifted. and i’ve heard it said many times that college ball is no where close to pro ball. the demands made on a professional ballplayer are enormous. if you don’t plan to play professionally, unless you just really enjoy the game, there are better ways to pay for your college.

Once you play professionally you lose you amateur status, so you can’t play in school, unless i misunderstand your comment. :?:

From what i’ve heard the jump from “high” division I to pro is difficult because every hitter makes mistake pitches pay, and pitchers are more consistent and mistake pitches are rare.

[quote=“MaineBall”]Once you play professionally you lose you amateur status, so you can’t play in school, unless i misunderstand your comment. :?:
[/quote]

Minor league contracts for guys opting out of college often include some form of tuition stipend. I believe the value varies contract to contract.

[quote=“MaineBall”]Once you play professionally you lose you amateur status, so you can’t play in school, unless i misunderstand your comment. :?:

From what i’ve heard the jump from “high” division I to pro is difficult because every hitter makes mistake pitches pay, and pitchers are more consistent and mistake pitches are rare.[/quote]

What he means is this:

Player A signs with an organization and part of his contract states that the org will pay for college should he decide to go. Now that Player A has quit playing baseball, he going to college and playing football

sound familiar?

Jeff Samardzija?