scared

in two days time will mark my last semester of high school ever, including my last year of baseball. like most of you, i have a pasion for the game, it means almost everything to me. im scared of my final season of hs baseball, i never thought i would be either, it just suddenly hit me. i really want to enjoy it, but i also want to really make the most of it. i dont wanna look back on this and always think “what if”. but at the same time, i dont wanna obsess about profection and not enjoy it. i just could really use advice and guidance on this from anyone.

thanks.

Let me tell you about the last conversation I had with my incredible pitching coach.
It was near the end of the 1954 season, and I had gone to the game at Yankee Stadium one night. The Yankees had won that game—not that it mattered, because they hadn’t been able to catch up with the pennant-winning Cleveland Indians—and as I left the ballpark I was trying to decide whether to take the subway home or walk when Ed Lopat caught up with me. He wanted to talk, and so we headed back to Gate 4, leaned against the railing outside the box office, and talked for more than two hours. Lopat, who had been my pitching coach for almost four years, had some distressing news—a premonition that he might not be with the team much longer, that a trade was probably brewing in the front office and that he would probably have to move on.
You can be sure I was very upset by this. We had had a wonderful pitching relationship, which had started several years earlier when in response to a question I had had about the slider he had taken the time to show me how to throw a good one, and over the next couple of years he had taken me in hand, worked with me and helped me become a better pitcher than I had been before. And now it was about to come to a stop. Then he said some of the most encouraging and reassuring words I would ever hear from him.
He said: “I don’t like the idea either. I don’t want it to end any more than you do. We’ve worked together for the past three-plus years, and we’ve had a wonderful pitching relationship—comparing notes, bouncing ideas off each other, learning from each other, and sharing some laughs. But there comes a time when things have to end, and I’ll probably have to move on. I think I told you that I’ve had this premonition that I might not be with the team much longer, and I’ve had to come to terms with it. But it doesn’t have to end here for you. You can take what we’ve worked on, and you can build on it. You can expand it.” He then added, "You’ll have a lot of good, productive seasons and many wonderful memories to look back on."
I have never forgotten those words. After so many decades I still remember them. And now I share them with you in the hope and expectation that you will, indeed, take this last year of high school and high school baseball, build on the experience, expand it and take it to college or university with you and continue playing this great game of baseball—and have fun doing it. 8) :baseballpitcher:

Effort, be a leader to the upcoming players, do the extra physical work, do the extra mental work and pass on your ability to the next player. Earning memories only happens once, you want to remember you senior year as something that required effort and ended in satisfaction.

Give it 100% percent and all that you have, all of the time. Prepare yourself to the best of your ability. Do not go through the motions and have a purpose for everything you do. Leave it all on the field and you will have no regrets at the end of the day. Control the things you can control. Thats all you can do.

Funny how similar Baseball is to Life.

Well said. The best compliment I ever received was after baseball was over and one of my former coaches in the Cubs organization emailed me out of the blue and said, “Ellis, you were one of the hardest working players I’ve ever had.”

Be the best you out there … every day! It’s going to be a GREAT season for you!

if you want to play after high school i work @ a small naia college called bacone college in oklahoma that has a varsity and jv baseball team. if you want to keep playing it could work out. you can look us up on the website. it doesn’t have to be your last year, and fear is one of the greatest threats a person can experience. if you’re scared get a dog or find something else to do. if you’re a ballplayer you play till they throw you out and lock the door. and then a real ballplayer will kick the door down

Realize that this is the end of an old era and the beginning of a new era in your life. You will be done with high school, and most likely moving onto college. You’re going to have to decide what to do with your life.
Don’t dwell on what you could have done in the past,
but think about and act upon what you can do now (in the present)!
Make yourself enjoy playing baseball (you have a passion for it)!
Relax, and play hard!
P.S. Are you not going to be playing baseball in college?