Scapular / rotator cuff exercises

my son is a 12 year old pitcher. when is a good time to work the scapular and rotator cuff exercises int his training program. he has just begun phase one of his muscular endurance program.

Simply put, “now” is a good time! What’s his workout program look like?

Now is a good time! well put!

Rotator cuff and scap stabilization exercises are preventative maintenence exercises to help prevent injury they should be done 3 times a week usually monday, wednesday and friday

Honestly, if he’s 12 years old he has a lot of time to mature before he needs to worry about doing exercises for rotator cuff muscles. I think it’s useless to do any weights until you have started to grow up and actually get bigger. My guess is he’s in 6th grade or so, I didn’t lift weights until I was 17, and now I throw the ball over 90. Just let him enjoy the game and throw the ball, when he gets around 15 or 16, introduce him to the exercises.

Greg Stock, father of Robert Stock who was throwing around 80 at 13 and 94 mph at age 14 would disagree :slight_smile:

Your personal anecdotal story is not evidence. There exists no scientific evidence that shows that lifting weights is “useless” until your have “started to grow up and actually get bigger.”

Just because something worked for you does not mean it is true.

Last time I checked not many people started lifting weights before they reach puberty.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/raymond-kelly/weight-lifting-kid.htm
http://www.theweakgeteaten.com/Resources/whatage.htm

Crazy how other people might agree with me…
Weight lifting too early can stunt growth. I wouldn’t want to stunt growth in your throwing shoulder or arm if I was you. Let the kid have fun, take it from someone who has played a high level of baseball and went injury free as a child and teenager.

[quote=“tannerlorenz”]Last time I checked not many people started lifting weights before they reach puberty.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/raymond-kelly/weight-lifting-kid.htm
http://www.theweakgeteaten.com/Resources/whatage.htm

Crazy how other people might agree with me…
Weight lifting too early can stunt growth. I wouldn’t want to stunt growth in your throwing shoulder or arm if I was you. Let the kid have fun, take it from someone who has played a high level of baseball and went injury free as a child and teenager.[/quote]

Your first “reference” is an article on a bodybuilding site by a personal trainer in Australia who has done no direct research studies on this topic. Your second “reference” is a chiropractor, not a doctor.

Here is what the Cleveland Clinic said about youth weightlifting:

NSCA, ACSM, and AAP all publish peer-reviewed research on these very topics. Your references do not.

Here is what John A. Bergfeld, M.D. said
http://www.infosports.com/clvclinic/strengthtrainingforyoung.htm
:

The above research was corroborated by Avery D. Faigenbaum, EdD, CSCS.

It’s impressive that you throw 90 mph and that you did it by omitting weight training until you were 17. But that doesn’t make it right for all youth athletes. Research absolutely proves otherwise.

Your personal anecdotal story is not evidence. There exists no scientific evidence that shows that lifting weights is “useless” until your have “started to grow up and actually get bigger.”

Just because something worked for you does not mean it is true.[/quote]
I think Tanner’s post was expressing opinion and was not attempting to present any evidence.

That’s fine, but opinions without any factual backing are often dangerous and misleading.

Only if you interpret someone’s opinion as something more than an opinion. :wink:

That’s fine, but opinions without any factual backing are often dangerous and misleading.[/quote]Is it more dangerous for a 12 year old to lift weights? Or is it more dangerous to wait until it will actually benefit them? I think I would wait until it actually benefits me. I was talking to a professional weight trainer today about this actually during our weights and they were saying how parents were trying to get their kids to start weights at the age of 14, and he said that it is crazy to start before you turn 15 or even 16.

I’m a member on a recruiting website and we have things called educational huddles, on one of the educational huddles we were talking about sports performance. We were talking to the strength coach at Georgetown (or thats what I think it was) He said that some studies have shown that weight lifting will actually help kids grow. I think you can lift at a younger age as long as you use common sense. I think he could start doing his rotator cuff and scap work right now if he wanted after all these are probably light weight exercises and shouldn’t load any joints. This is all opinion here so take it for what its worth.

What program is he on? Maybe you could try to contact the guy who came up with the program and ask him for his opinion. You could also ask a physical therapist.

More thank likely unless you do a lot of research you’ll probably just find a lot of opinions so I would recommend you get professional opinions

Also, how many 12 year olds tear ligaments or muscles in their shoulders?

That’s fine, but opinions without any factual backing are often dangerous and misleading.[/quote]

C’mon, kyleb … dangerous? misleading? This is a discussion forum, which by its very nature is a place where people come to express their opinions and share their stories. Folks shouldn’t be deterred from posting their ideas and experiences that have helped them be successful.

Started rotator cuff, shoulder, and arm exercises when I was 14 - when I purchased tuff-cuff. Used really light dumbbells - might be kind of boring for a 12 year old - because it was boring to me as a 14 year old. 3 pound dumbbell doesn’t turn you into Mr.Olympia. But it is harder than what I thought it would be.

BTW - My dad wouldn’t let me start lifting until I turned 15 and then only with him or another adult watching. He did let me do push-ups, crunches, sprinting, running, jumping, sissy squats, and whatever body weight exercises I could do.

I was 13 when I started shoulder and leg work, like lightweight dumbbells and tubing, etc. It was when /i moved up to the big league field from the Little League diamond.

I don’t see that the OP was suggesting “weight lifting” at all. The discussion is about scapular or rotator cuff exercises which, in the case of the rotator cuff, don’t involve anything heavy. Very light dumbells and tubing are sufficient. We’re not speaking about large muscles here. The subscapularis is larger then the other three but, even then, light work is in order. I don’t think ignoring them is a wise plan.

That’s fine, but opinions without any factual backing are often dangerous and misleading.[/quote]

C’mon, kyleb … dangerous? misleading? This is a discussion forum, which by its very nature is a place where people come to express their opinions and share their stories. Folks shouldn’t be deterred from posting their ideas and experiences that have helped them be successful.[/quote]

I agree, but overwhelming medical evidence indicates that he is simply incorrect - no matter what “professional” trainers have told him.