Sandwiching

I have been told by many coaches that I sandwich my leg so i “lower my height on the mound” and therefore lose velocity.

I totally realize this is true but for me i feel like i have better mechanics (leading with my hip and keeping my shoulders closed) when i sandwich. For some reason its harder to do this while I stand tall. Maybe i just need to keep practicing the right mechanics while standing tall…but i was just wondering how much sandwiching really affects velocity and if its alright if i keep doing it because i feel more comfortable??

what is sandwiching for you?

For me it’s like a drop and drive kind of movement

sometimes, doing what you feel good to do is better then doing what you don’t feel. You might not need those few mphs. at least you know where to begin if you start loosing it. from my point of view you just stay right where you are and remember that ace pitchers from the past were not always robots straight up from the laboratory, they were just guys that knew how to pitch.

Is this pitcher who is small by MLB standards and throws high 90s doing what you’d call sandwiching? If so I don’t think it is hurting his velocity and in fact is probably helping it.

Standing tall helps you get more downward action on your fastball and breaking pitches but it generally does not help and may to some degree hinder your velocity. The ideal motion varies from body type to body type and you have to find out what works best for you. Please note that he drops as he drives rather than dropping then driving.

I don’t think I’d even call Oswalt a true “drop and drive” guy. I think a lot of people look at a pitcher’s back leg and see how it bends and “loads up” and interprets it to be a drop and drive movement. In reality, all pitchers need to do this because they are pitching down a slope, so it is impossible to stay completely tall (and also unathletic).

If your sandwiching is what Oswalt is doing, you’re definitely fine.

[quote=“palo20”]I don’t think I’d even call Oswalt a true “drop and drive” guy. I think a lot of people look at a pitcher’s back leg and see how it bends and “loads up” and interprets it to be a drop and drive movement. In reality, all pitchers need to do this because they are pitching down a slope, so it is impossible to stay completely tall (and also unathletic).

If your sandwiching is what Oswalt is doing, you’re definitely fine.[/quote]he definatley drops…

I agree.

I don’t think there is a universal rule when it comes to the degree of leg flex.

As a result, I wouldn’t change what you are doing unless you are having a problem.

palo,
Agreed. That’s what I was addressing in my last sentence. Pitchers who drop and then drive often drive upward and end up losing forward momentum. The drop first, then drive types are what I’d call “drop and drive” pitchers.

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it