Safe or Out?

ok, I think there are a few umpires on these forums so try and figure this out, its a freak play but the tough call is whether its obstruction o not, I ould hateto b a umpire here, you’re going to get grief from either team no mater what your call is

im not an official umpire or anything and i’m not posotive what the right call would be, but i think he is out. how can you fault the pitcher for just trying to get the ball? this is definately a freak play.

1 Like

sorry… but with me and how i see things i would of leveled the pitcher if he was in my way. again sorry if you disagree

its not the pitchers or batters fault the call is out cuz the pitcher got the ball and threw to first No fault for either of them batters out on the throw to first!

Regardless of how the ball got to the first baseline I believe its a rule that its the runners obligation to avoid the fielder when fielding the ball.

so the runner must run outside of the baseline? tough call

If it means to avoid the fielder I think you can.

maybe te runner could have hurdled the pitcher

think about it guys ur running full blast and all u see is the bag like i do and then the pitcher is right in ur way wat do u do point of know return u have to hit him the runner is out but not by the collision. the pitcher threw the ball to first and that is y he is out!

not that i disagree that he is out too but how is the runner suppose to avoid the pitcher… I know im no hurdle hopper so im plowing right thru him.

I just think with a collision the call has to go one way or the other, follow? If the runner hits the fielder or vise versa there has to be some kind of rule either way because it wouldn’t be fair to either. Well they figure if he’s fielding the ball he isn’t worried about the runner but the runner should be able to watch out for him. So thats most likely the reason why the advantage goes to the fielder.

I just think with a collision the call has to go one way or the other, follow? If the runner hits the fielder or vise versa there has to be some kind of rule either way because it wouldn’t be fair to either. Well they figure if he’s fielding the ball he isn’t worried about the runner but the runner should be able to watch out for him. So thats most likely the reason why the advantage goes to the fielder.[/quote]

i agree the fielder would get the adv. on a collision call but wat if it is No Fault wouldn’t the throw from the pitcher to first be the direct out?

Yeah that was an out in that play. But if the fielder isn’t fielding a ball and he runs into someone I think thats the fielders interference.

yep it is but he was fielding ball and he cut in front of the runner the runner had no way of dodging that it kinda looks like he jumped a little to so wouldn’t that be no fault and out on the throw to first?

Rule 7.06 (a):

If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batter/runner is obstructed before reaching first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judgement, if there had been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the last base which he legally touched before the obstruction. Any preceding runners, forced to advance by the award of bases as the penalty for obstruction, shall advance without liability to be put out.

1 Like

yes but the fielder was fielding a ball and the runner can’t just go around him running full blast so No fault obstruction out on the throw to first ?

It’s the umpire’s judgement call if he believes that the runner would have made it with no obstruction then he’s safe and if he thinks he wouldn’t have made it, out.

1 Like

I’m no expert but I think he’s safe. The runner made an attempt to jump over the pitcher and he was in his base path so he had no choice but to jump so I would call it interference and the runner is giving first. But thats just my take.

Let’s break this down. Ground ball up the middle. Pitcher attempts play and kicks the ball. Infielder is protected from obstruction within his immediate area only to make a play on the ball. He kicked it 40’ so he is not protected by the ‘in the act of fielding’ stipulation. Essentially he can’t chase a ball he booted and expect right of way. He clearly obstructed the runner. Call time. Point to the pitcher and state, “That’s obstruction!” Award the B/R first base. Advance runners as required to make the award to the B/R. Award any other runners bases they would have reached had there been no obstruction. Great play!