Running?

I’m running about 3 miles a day is that to much not enough. I am also doing a weight lifting program. I was just wondering how much running I should do to help me gain more volocity on my pitches? If you have any idea’s thanks

Baseball players should run sprints. The only time you can really make an argument for running long distance is after pitching. Then its still questionable. Long distance running can actually decrease power.

and you definetly don’t need to be running every single day

3 to 5 times a week is plenty you’ve gotta give your legs some time to recuperate

You guys seem to be missing the concept of running. It is for endurance and flushing out the system. And is there any evidence that shows running long ditances is detrimental to velocity. I think you should hhave a mixture of long distance, to gain strength in the legs and endurance, and sprints to develop explosiveness.

You guys seem to be missing the concept of running. It is for endurance and flushing out the system. And is there any evidence that shows running long ditances is detrimental to velocity. I think you should hhave a mixture of long distance, to gain strength in the legs and endurance, and sprints to develop explosiveness.

Yes, long distance running or some type of aerobic activity (riding a bike, eliptical, etc.) is useful as a flushing mechanism. It is for that reason that I recommend running for distance on a day after you get done throwing and/or the day after you throw.

Is running long distance detrimental to velo? My question for you is why do sprinters always work on sprinting instead of running distance to help them gain strength and endurance in their legs? Studies have been done on runners and the results have found that sprinters that run long distance make themselves slower. The reason for this being that the sprinters train the wrong muscles. They are working the major muscle groups instead of firing the fast-twitch muscles. I bring this up because pitching is comparable to sprinting. Both require the use of fast-twitch muscle fibers and explosive movements.

To improve athleticism and possibly adding velo, one must work on explosive movements such as short sprints, medicine ball tosses, or quick ladders. In order to increase your endurance, you increase the number of sprints (or other exercises) that you run, making sure that you are completely rested before starting the next repitition. This most closely resembles a pitcher. You do an explosive movement repeatedly and then have a rest in between to compose yourself.

Pitchers running distance is a misconception that needs to change. If we wish for pitchers to become more effective and less injury-prone, we need to rethink pitchers’ conditioning and weight lifting. More needs to be done to make these exercise more pitcher specific. This is one way of doing that.