Running The Mile Inside vs. Outside

Okay, so we got done running the mile today for gym and mine sucked! The weather was nice enough to actually be able to outside to run the mile this year. As it turns out this odd species of grass that’s on the football field/track I’m allergic to. As soon as I got out there I felt my throat and chest tightening up like they do when I’m exposed to strong allergens. I couldn’t run hardly at all without turning purple for lack of air. I ended up running it in like 10:30 which is dreadful considering last year’s time for me was 7:30. It got worse by 3 minutes! You can’t say that’s just from a week or two of no baseball, especially as I have that conditioning class every other day anyways. I couldn’t believe how horrible my time was. I’m very disappointed in it and hopefully by winter when we run it again it’s inside so I can go without allergens and whatnot.

I know i’ve always hated running inside long distances like that.

I hate the outside though is the point, the outside gives me allergens and tightens up the chest. Inside I’m fine and can breathe just fine for the run.

in general I’d say endurance running is not going to contribute much one way or the other to your baseball success, but it does trouble me in that it indicates an extreme lack of physical conditioning. Unless you measured the distance wrong this should not be happening. Even with the extra turns you are making inside vs. straight-aways you should easily be able to run an 8 minute mile in even the absolute worst of shape.

Take care of general strength and conditioning (don’t know your body type this might mean cut a bit of fat) and this will naturally improve. This is a warning sign so make a positive out of it and get a move-on! Just means there’s that much room for you to grow. I’d say it has little to do with indoor vs. outdoor, certainly not 3 minutes worth.

Keep it up

[quote=“LankyLefty”] you should easily be able to run an 8 minute mile in even the absolute worst of shape.

[/quote]

Bad advice to give. Certain folks must work up to an 8 minute mile. Certain folks can’t run that fast regardless given certain physical limitations. Jumping right in can cause irreparable damage and even death.

Hose

[quote=“hoseman18”][quote=“LankyLefty”] you should easily be able to run an 8 minute mile in even the absolute worst of shape.

[/quote]

Bad advice to give. Certain folks must work up to an 8 minute mile. Certain folks can’t run that fast regardless given certain physical limitations. Jumping right in can cause irreparable damage and even death.

Hose[/quote]

Ok, I generalized. I still want to make it clear I didn’t mean to go run an 8 minute mile this second, I meant if you can’t run an 8 minute mile this is generally a sign that you are in pretty poor physical condition. As somebody who (I’m assuming) is trying to become the best pitcher they can be, we should never let our level of fitness dip that low. I’m not saying the bar should necessarily be drawn at 8 minutes or even that one should test fitness by means of endurance running but it strikes me as a big red flag when somebody cannot complete this task. Just my opinion.

Well there’s no way with all my baseball conditioning over the summer that I’ve gotten worse by 3 minutes out of the blue. We ran around a miles worth of conditioning inside today and I was just fine. I think I’m seriously allergic to whatever is on that football field. I mean I ran just fine the other day outside when we had to run to the tennis courts. I couldn’t breathe out there on that football field. I am usually a 7:30 mile runner. I do need to cut some fat you’re right but I’m not really THAT fat. I have a large body frame and I’m 6’ weighing in at 211 pounds. I have a lot of lower body muscle but very lanky and scrawny arms.

how old are u i’m 13 and ran it in 7:08. :smiley: