Running: Long Distance or Sprinting?

Should pitchers go on long distance runs or short sprints?

It really depends and in the baseball world, especially with pitching coaches there is a lot of controversy over this. I say run 5-6 days a week, depending on when you are pitching in games, and for the most part that should be sprints, except the day after you pitch, then that should be long distance.

maybe sprints a couple times a week and no long distance running, ever. There’s no reason why you would need to run sprints 6 days a week.

read some of eric cressey’s work on distance running if you want my full opinion on the subject.

i’m speaking from personal experience…running long distances after you pitch DOES help with recovery. and it is also useful for a pitcher if you are trying to slim down (obviously)

sprints are good to do also. they help to simulate the short explosiveness that a pitcher needs on the mound.

i would do both…IMO.

[quote=“the_K_king#2”]i’m speaking from personal experience…running long distances after you pitch DOES help with recovery. and it is also useful for a pitcher if you are trying to slim down (obviously)

sprints are good to do also. they help to simulate the short explosiveness that a pitcher needs on the mound.

i would do both…IMO.[/quote]

if you want to slim down by losing fat AND muscle, do plenty of long distance running. If you want to slim down while retaining your muscle keep lifting hard, run sprints to elevate your metabolism and eat healthier.

I also speak from experience I have buddies who lifted with me in high school, then decided to run cross country for a few months to “lose fat.” Most of them ended up losing 15-30 lbs and still looked flabby. They had lost a ton of weight but a huge amount of it was muscle.

so you’re saying that long distance running causes you to lose muscle?? is that what you’re saying??

it doesn’t. if all you do is run long distance with no sprint work or lifting then yes you will lose muscle. but on its own, running lond distance DOES NOT cause you to lose muscle…

[quote=“the_K_king#2”]so you’re saying that long distance running causes you to lose muscle?? is that what you’re saying??

it doesn’t. if all you do is run long distance with no sprint work or lifting then yes you will lose muscle. but on its own, running lond distance DOES NOT cause you to lose muscle…[/quote]

depends how much of it you do. i see no compelling reason to do even a little of it.

so you also don’t believe it helps with recovery after a start…??

Distance running is not a necessity IMO. I do about 2 miles 2 days a week to keep my endurance up. But being a closer, I typically do 10 60 yard sprints after bullpens and 15-20 after games depending on how many pitches I threw. As long as you get your heart rate up and keep it sustained for 10 minutes post game, it will flush out the lactic acid from your arm and legs, so really any physical activity that raises your heart rate is fine, not necessarily running.

neither lol

you can elevate your heart rate (and therefore blood flow to arm) a variety of ways other than distance running. A short high intensity conditioning circuit that promotes core strength, explosiveness, flexibility and mobility would be a better option in my opinion. Sprints one or two days a week isnt a bad idea either.