Rules for "sizing up" hitters

[b]1. Tall hitters like the ball down.

1. Short hitters like the ball up.

2. Left-handed hitters like the ball down (except when facing left handed pitchers, then they like the ball up).

3. Hitters with wide stances are contact hitters and like the ball up. They also don’t strike out much.

4. Most hitters are fastball hitters and will swing at the first fastball they see.

5. Most switch hitters are natural right hand hitters and have more power from the right side.

6. Hitters with “inside-out” swings like the ball middle-in.

7. Pull hitters will chase inside breaking balls.

8. Hitters who hold the bat straight up are low-ball hitters.

9. Hitters who hold the bat flat are high-ball hitters.

10. Most hitters will take the first curveball they see.[/b]

This was a list of rules to “size up” hitters.
What do you guys think of them?
Do these rules come true when you pitch?

Some of these have some merit. But just like racial stereotypes it’s not true of everyone.

For example I hold the bat on more of a flat plane but I prefer lower pitches. I’m a lefty and a little taller than most though, so that makes sense with your rules.

The switch hitter thing doesn’t really have much use unless you’re an MLB or MiLB manager in the late innings.

Your fastball and curveball rules depend very much on the count and how you’ve been pitching during that game and how you’ve pitched to that team in the past if you’ve faced them before.

Inside out swings usually like middle away, an inside-out swing hits the ball oppo. so they’re more likely to be jammed on an inside pitch.

I’ve seen a lot of guys with narrow stances that have quick hands and almost never strike out and I’ve also seen people with wide stances that strike out a lot. That depends more on the hitter himself, the stance is just how he’s comfortable. For example, Robby Cano has a little narrower stance but is more of a contact hitter, Curtis Granderson has a wider stance and K’s a lot but also hits a lot of dingers and XBHs.

Some of these may work as a rule of thumb the first time you face a batter but generally I would avoid relying on this solely after you have pitched against a batter or team, I would look more towards what he did his last time up.

When Whitey Ford was learning the ropes in his first year as a Yankee, Ed Lopat would sit him down and go over every batter in the league, He would tell him things like “this guy pulls away from the plate as he swings”, meaning that such a batter, whether he’s righthanded or lefthanded, is a sucker for an outside pitch. He talked about those hitters who habitually went to the opposite field, guys not named Joe DiMaggio who had a long stride, and Yogi Berra, about whom it was said that the only way to pitch to him was to throw the ball under the plate! (Vladimir Guerrero is a similar hitter.) The point is, a pitcher needs to know the opposing hitters, their strengths and their weaknesses, and s/he has to be able to formulate a plan of action for pitching to them so as to get them out.
Joe Girardi likes to play mix-and-match in the late innings—with a couple of exceptions: he generally won’t do this with the late-inning relievers like Dave “Houdini” Robertson and, of course, Mariano Rivera, both of whom don’t care whether the batter hits righthanded or lefthanded or standing on his head. So the best thing to do is take these guidelines as just that—guidelines, and with a little more than a grain of salt. You want to get the batters out, is what you want to do, and that involves knowing the hitters and what to do to send them back to the dugout foaming at the mouth. 8)