Rule?

can a pitcher not use the windup and have a slow delivery and if someone gets on base… can he speed that same delivery up?

I dont think its a rule, but y would you? the runner would run as soon as you move and easily steal a base

i meant… when someone got on base, speed up what you do in place of the windup so its much quicker

yeah i no wat you ment. But because you cant pick off they’d get a huge lead, and as soon as you move theyd be able to run and beat the throw, even if you did speed up you motion. thats y that dont do it in the majors

If you get good at starting the hips forward early and fast, then your delivery from the stretch can very close to the same as from the wind-up and you can eliminate the use of the slide step when in the stretch position. You’d pretty much have just one delivery whether or not you have runners on base. But you still want to pitch from the stretch position with runners on so that you have the option to throw over.

i never start… i always come in the last 1-2 innings to close. usually with runners on. so with that in mind i just got used to potching from the stretch and feel more comfertable like that.

my question was, when there is no one on base can i not use the windup but slow down my delivery?

but then when there is someone on can i use the same delivery but just speed it up so no one gets a good jump?

don’t
easy, EASY, EASY stuff to steal on, as soon as that left foot moves there gone, no chance your going to get him. I did once though, go in windup with this team with this lkid who steals bases like crazy.
I stpped on with my right foot and picked him off

No no no thats not what hes saying.

He’s asking if instead of having a windup just say in the stretch but when you pitch with no one on (when most people are in the windup) can you change it like make it slower or more comfortable for you.

The answer to this is yes. I usually don’t pitch from the full but my stretch without runners on is different than when I do have runners on.

Even though I always go from the stretch I do change it up and make it faster to prevent stealing when runners are on.

[quote=“3and0”]I did once though, go in windup with this team with this lkid who steals bases like crazy.
I stpped on with my right foot and picked him off[/quote]

Haha thats a nice move or get a left handed pitcher to go from the full when a runners on third and since a lefty and a righty have the same full the runner forgets that it’s a LHP and when he sees that left foot go back he takes his lead and then the pitcher has a very very easy throw across his body to third and doesn’t have to give any hint that hes throwing over.