Rule Question

I need some clarification on a rule. Can the pitcher be on the mound without the ball with the batter in the box and ready to hit. The catcher was trying to hide the ball with the bases loaded in a 15u game. Not sure why the hidden ball trick was being used with the catcher having the ball but anyway. Does the pitcher need to be off the mound or can he be on the mound but away from the pitching rubber. Please help.

Thanks

i have no idea why the catcher would be trying to hide the ball :?

but as for it being legal i dont see why not

[quote=“OffSet”]i have no idea why the catcher would be trying to hide the ball :?

but as for it being legal i dont see why not[/quote]

It isn’t legal for the pitcher to be on the mound without the ball except while fielding.

[quote=“Spencer”][quote=“OffSet”]i have no idea why the catcher would be trying to hide the ball :?

but as for it being legal i dont see why not[/quote]

It isn’t legal for the pitcher to be on the mound without the ball except while fielding.[/quote]
oh. i was just going by, after the pitcher throws the ball hes on the mound without the ball so i thought it was legal :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, there is a rule covering such a situation. Rule 8.05 states that “if there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when…” and section (i) of this rule says that “the pitcher, WITHOUT HAVING THE BALL, stands on or astride the pitcher’s plate”—or, while off the rubber, fakes a pitch (again, without having the ball). So, when you come right down to it, it’s illegal.

The Goddess of the slider is informative and obviously correct…BALKBALKBALK…but he has to toe the rubber…with time in. I’m with whoever thought the old hide the ball trick was over with in like the sandlot…

Just don’t get caught.

Its a balk! Most pitchers will walk around with and mess with the resin bag, spit, go to their mouth-tie their shoe laces all off the mound.

Like another poster said as soon as go into “the purchase”-you have to have the ball or its a balk. Ian