Roy Halladay

Anyone have any insight into whether or not Roy Halladay is going to tweaked or modified in any way. I saw it with kazmir in anaheim. Keep in mind this is the second team he has played for in his entire career. Lee was essentially kept the same during the Phillies postseason. Im curious to see how Lee will turn out with his new club as they have an incredible coaching staff in terms of player development.

I think its one of those if it aint broke dont fix it deals. Kazmir hasn’t been dominant for a few years so the Angels probably changed some things. Lee has been dominant so why change it?

So if Roy starts to struggle and cant get over it then you may see a change but i don’t think they are gunna do too much to doc.

“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” Exactly. There have been too many instances of pitchers being ruined because a coach decided to mess around when there was no need to do so. Case in point: Fred Sanford. He was a pitcher for the old St. Louis Browns back in the 40s. neither very good nor very bad, just adequate. The Yankees saw something in him and acquired him in a trade. Then the trouble began. Sanford had a motion best described as herky-jerky, and never mind that he was getting the batters out; pitching coach Jim Turner found that motion esthetically displeasing, and third-base coach Frank Crosetti (how in the blazes did he get mixed up in this?) didn’t like it either. They wanted poor Sanford to have a nice, smooth, Spalding-Guide-picture-perfect motion, and so they started futzing around with him. And they ended up destroying him! He was so confused that he didn’t know which end was up, and when they got through with him he wasn’t a good pitcher any more. At the end of the 1950 season he was traded.
Incidentally, at the end of the 1959 season Turner went to Cincinnati and became their pitching coach. He had a reliever on his staff, a guy named Howie Nunn, whose motion was even more extreme—and Turner never even said “boo” to him. In fact, aside from insisting that every pitcher on Cincinnati’s staff learn to throw the slow curve he never said “boo” to any of them!
Ed Lopat—a key figure in the Yankees’ Big Three rotation and the most incredible pitching coach anyone could ever hope to work with—had a basic premise: every pitcher has a natural motion. So what he would do was work with said pitcher and show him (or, in my case, her) how to make the most of it. I was a natural, true sidearmer who used a slide step all the time, had a consistent release point and used the crossfire extensively, and Lopat showed me how to take full advantage of all this. As a result, I won a lot of games. Now, if he had been given the chance to do so he might have saved Fred Sanford from that disaster. So perhaps the teams who have Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee would do well to heed this advice: leave those guys alone and let them pitch! 8) :slight_smile:

There’s another side to this equation that rarely gets talked about and that has to do with the talents and coaching staff of the batters, regardless if we’re talking about amateur or pro ball.

Any pitching coach worth his/her salt, will give credit were credit is due, to the batting coaches of the clubs that they will or have faced. Like a pitching staff, a batting coach and his/her staff will scout, view and review every pitcher(s) that their club will face - during three portions of competition.

The first portion is during the preseason. During this time guys are usually shuffling up and down, or being tested for various spots, and let’s us not forget the stiffness and creeks to be worked out. So an estimate is given as to the beginning patterns of behavior and then pluses and minuses are graded accordingly. A good batting coach and his/her staff will follow a “line” of pitchers closely during this period.

The second portion is during the early parts of the regular season. Who’s been consistent, who’s not, who’s getting stronger, who’s adjusting to the shuffling of batting orders, play-making, etc. Also, personality strengths and weakness are watched closely. “How can we rattle this guy” is at the top of the list with any game plan. In addition, does this pitcher rely on a particular pitch when he’s in the hole, or after so many innings, or does he do better on the road … when and where? Some batting coaches and their staff watch and track apposing pitchers so closely that you’d swear they got them outlined with tracing paper.

The third portion is going into the final stretch of the playing season and the post season. Pitchers … I don’t care who, are pretty much figured out by then. Only the ones that can fine tune their game – pitch by pitch, batter by batter, make it. I’m sure Steven can elaborate on that last statement, having been there from a player’s point of view.

So, will coaches sometimes work with a successful pitcher instead of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”, of course they will. No one has a patten on immortality in the game, amateur or pro … especially pitchers.

Good topic for discussion.

Coach B.

I don’t think they’ll tweak Halladay in any way. He’s got great mechanics, a great mindset, the whole package. Why mess with that??

I wouldn’t mess with Roy…his mechanics are unique just like a lot of other good pitchers. He knows them best most likely because he figured it out on his own and with somebody close to him.

If I were the pitching coach I would study his mechanics to understand how he works…then look a vid of his best game and not so good game…see if I can spot any significant differences. Besides making sure he is using his style efficiently as possible, I wouldn’t change his style.

Even if he started to struggle -which every player deals with at some point in their career- I wouldn’t then say this guy needs a whole new mechanical makeover.

Anyway, Roy was throwin awesome in september…I don’t know what would suggest him needing some change. He threw a one hitter against the yanks and a three hitter against the Red Sox with 4 complete games in the month of september alone.

“if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” ~

What is so different about Doc’s mechanics? The only difference I see from other pitchers is the arms over the head, then they stay close to his face.

he pitches alot shorter than he is

And what do you mean by that?

IMO he wont change at all. B/C he is a very dominant pitcher he doesnt need to change. Also, i think he might be even more effective in the NL b/c the DH. So you might see the same great Roy Halladay.