Rowing and baseaball

How can Rowing machine or Rowing in general help, improve and impact my baseball strength, conditioning and overall performance.
I am thinking of doing Rowing classes with professional rowing coach.
Thank you for your feedback.

Rowing - absolutely.

For conditioning the entire body, rowing is a definite plus when added to your training routines.

I coached one of two brothers who had a rowing scull. Both grew up around the Lake George Region in Upper State New York.

The brother that played shortstop had a one man rowing scull and he was good at it. In fact he had entered competition and was going to college, Boston College as I remembered. But somehow that didn’t workout, and he ended up with us for two seasons.

I did notice the big difference in overall body strength, endurance and agility between the two. Not to discount life styles with respect to eating right and all that stuff. The one that rowed did the circuit machines and his flat board rowing workout seemed to be his favorite.

All in all, I’d say a workout that includes a rowing machine should be very good for you. Just make sure that you’re getting all the benefits by using the machine right.

Good question.

There are many videos on this subject to help you get the most out of your rowing exercise. I found this one. Very basic and informative.

Just a side note on my earlier remarks about the player who did individual rowing with his own racing scull.

I asked him why he didn’t go with a team, you know like all those people rowing together with a someone sitting up front yelling instructions, or something like that.

He said he tried it once, but so many rowers weren’t all that experienced and they’d catch crabs, which wasn’t fun.

Now I’m thinking one thing, and he’s talking about something totally different. It seems that in the rowing terminology circles that he associated with, catching a crab was when a rower missed the water partially or totally during a stroke, which sent the rower completely off balance and sometimes could even toss the rowers in the water.

Catch the crabs, hmmmmm… what-da-ya-know.

I didn’t know that they sat that close together in the boat to catch crabs, but live and learn, I guess.

Rowing is great for building up the back of the shoulders. Throwing works off the strength of the front side, but having stronger back sides of the shoulder will help make the most of what’s on the front.

Imbalances are not just left and right sides but can also mean front and back of the same joint. Rowing is a great way to eliminate certain imbalances.

When I attended the International Performance Institute, we were taught that pitchers should aim for a ratio of 3:1 pull to push exercises. Row is pull, and excellent in my opinion. I’d limit it to the off-season and pre-season, however.

The row is good, but it only works part of the rotator cuff. You would still need to supplement it with a lot of external rotation work.