Rotator Cuff Rehab Issues

Background:

• I’m a former pitcher and haven’t played competitive baseball since I was 17.

• I’m 20 now. A little over a year ago I was playing catch after not having thrown a baseball in a LONG time and pretty much got the “dead arm” phenomenon.

• My rotator cuff is definitely not torn because I can move it freely in all directions without pain. I can even throw a football just as far as I normally would. I only get this pain/weak feeling shoot down my arm when I throw a baseball with a decent amount of speed.

• I tried towel exercises over the summer to try to strengthen my rotator cuff and it didn’t help very much.

• I want to be able to at least play catch this spring/summer so I’ve started doing TheraBand exercises last week and my shoulder is definitely starting to feel stronger.

[size=18]2 Questions[/size]

1. Is this video a good routine to follow? Should I do it every day or every other day?
    http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_workouts/tubing_program.swf

2. When should I start throwing to see if the rehab is actually working? [/url]

[quote=“RRC589”]Background:

• I’m a former pitcher and haven’t played competitive baseball since I was 17.

• I’m 20 now. A little over a year ago I was playing catch after not having thrown a baseball in a LONG time and pretty much got the “dead arm” phenomenon.

• My rotator cuff is definitely not torn because I can move it freely in all directions without pain. I can even throw a football just as far as I normally would. I only get this pain/weak feeling shoot down my arm when I throw a baseball with a decent amount of speed.

• I tried towel exercises over the summer to try to strengthen my rotator cuff and it didn’t help very much.

• I want to be able to at least play catch this spring/summer so I’ve started doing TheraBand exercises last week and my shoulder is definitely starting to feel stronger.

[size=18]2 Questions[/size]

1. Is this video a good routine to follow? Should I do it every day or every other day?
    http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_workouts/tubing_program.swf

2. When should I start throwing to see if the rehab is actually working? [/url][/quote]

You sound like me. I have to ease into the season VERY carefully in order to keep from getting shoulder problems.

I’m not sure, but I think I have a damaged Labrum. You may as well.

You out to go see a MD to see what’s causing your dead arm. If you don’t address the root cause of the problem, the conditioning program will only be of limited value.