Rotational vs. Momentum vs. Explosive Pitching Styles

How would you describe each – what it is, what it attempts to do, key mechanical elements – in a few sentences or less?

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]How would you describe each – what it is, what it attempts to do, key mechanical elements – in a few sentences or less?[/quote]OK. I’ll jump in.

Rotational
Big Proponent/Guru: Paul Nyman (much more than just this but big focus)
Description: Reduction of things linear. Hip/shoulder separation and significant focus on shoulder rotation.

Explosive/Momentum
I put these in the same category.
Big Proponent/Guru: Dick Mills
In my mind, they both are about momentum generation.

Explosive is mostly from the stretch, with a quick bend in the posting leg, then a strong back leg drive, moving the front hip sideways as hard and fast as you can into a long stride (allowing for more momentum generation).

Momentum pitching is more from the windup, including a quick back step and 2 pushes, first off of that back step, then again with the posting leg into a very long stride (allowing for more momentum generation).

The point on both is to absolutely maximize linear momentum generation because Mills’ contends that this is what fuels velocity, not arm strength or even hip/shoulder separation.

Interpretting those terms as monikers for established mechanical models for pitching, I would agree with DM’s descriptions for “rotational” (Nyman) and “momentum” (Mills). I’ll take DM’s word that “explosive” is also a Mills term.

Of course, as generic terms, they mean something else.

I would add that parts taken from all the views are important for pitching but no one view covers all of pitching (except a view of all of the views… lol)

Dude, that is really deep. :iknow:

Lol as stupid as it sounds.

Everything in moderation 8)

[quote]Roger wrote:
Dude, that is really deep.

Lol as stupid as it sounds.

Everything in moderation [/quote]

The man from Texas…by way of Podunk…Guru to the Gods! :nosleep: :bigroll: :mrgreen: :smartguy: :cap:
Sounds like you’ve attended and graduated from the Unofficial Unauthorized School of Maddux. Keep it short and simple.

And which style has evidence of being the greater one? In terms of injury prevention, greater results, etc.

I would say rotational plays the biggest part in the pitching motion followed by explosiveness and momentum.

I think they are all the same :smiley: … well in a way. Pitching a baseball takes a lot of energy to throw at 80+ mph. The three words discussed in this topic (rotational, momentum, and explosive) are all involved in the same facet of the delivery; from pointing your opposite shoulder to the catcher to thowing the ball. Let me explain…

Well, like I mentioned above, you can’t throw a ball at 80+ mph without a lot of energy. You need this energy to get started, so as a pitcher you being by “rotating” your core with enough “explosive” energy to gain enough “momentum” to your arm that will result in a pitch thrown at a high velocity. That’s basically it :wink: .

You need to apply each word (rotational, momentum, and explosive) in order to sucessfully toss a ball (or practically anything that involves tossing something horizontally). In order to toss at a high velocity, each key word is basically emphasized to a higher degree.

Now, although these properties happens almost instantaneous, you can also separate them.

Rotational - the twisting motion of the pitching delivery
Momentum - happens after storing enough energy (starting with your legs) in the arm that it will basically sling the ball through a small zone towards your target
Explosive - the ignition of the energy

Idunno, I’m kinda being serious and dumb at the same time with my response. Take it with a grain of salt :oops:

P.S. Is this a trick question Steve?