Rotational throwing follow through

My friend and I got into a pretty heated discussion today during BP…

He argued that after handbreak the front leg goes straight out and the “hips” become the driving force that ends up producing velocity. This highly linear approach would result in the player following through straight down vertically and intoa typical fielding position (facing the batter)

I argued that because of the tremendous rotational force generated by the hips, the body has no choice but to finish off to the glove arm side (back to batter in a way)

[/img]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/touchingbase/300_lincecum.JPG[img]

How can I set this straight, and who exactly is correct in opinion about maximum throwing efficiency?[/img]

You will find pitchers with both a linear and a rotational follow through. Lincecum is an example of a rotational follow through pitcher. Jon Lester is somebody who has a more linear follow through, with his head remaining for the most part over the front foot. It all depends on what works for you. But remember, I don’t think you can use Lincecum as an example of what to do. He has very good parts of his delivery yes, but he is a superhuman freakish athlete (even for major league standards) who while generating so much momentum ends up in that position and still throws strikes: because he isn’t off balance, many pitchers if they get like this fall off balance and therefore lose speed and control

Its all about what works for you, I don’t really try and follow through I just let it happen.

Same here, I don’t really think about my follow-through, I just try to flow through my whole delivery.

Although one cannot directly mimic Lincecum as far as throwing goes, it can be very beneficial to understand WHY and HOW he attains a 100 mph fastball. He is a poster child for a rotational deivery and we should study up on him because he is the exception.

However, I’d be a darn fool to think I can mimic the torque he creates. :oops:

You can develop it. Mimic isn’t what you want. I mean what he does is deliver a ball, he isn’t imo all that unique. To me it’s all mo and stride length with him.
One of the most consistent issues I see on the forums is a lack of bottom half involvement. Tim mastered that aspect and makes it look very effortless. To get the amount of stride length he acheives he has to develop a whole bunch of momentum bottom side. I think this will be the thing that saves his arm/shoulder from the much predicted breakdown which would make him Priors replacement as poster child of “bad” mechs. Who really cares if you don’t “look” like or mimic him if you develop the same amount of momentum? Remember though…developing the mo means nothing if you aren’t efficient with the rest of your mechs, look at a guy like Bob Gibson, he developed huge mo and looked out of control at the release phase…but if you really take the time to watch him, he repeated his delivery exactlly each time.
I know we have several posters who speak constantly about this issue…but obviously it isn’t that easy if it is such a common inadequacy. I consider it one of the final aspects that will be the difference between a guy who makes it past high school and one who doesn’t.

Of all the things that add to … or take away… from your style, is the package (physique) that you bring with you.

Take for example the five (5) pitchers below. They all have unique styles with some similarity - but individually, each to their own. And as would be expected, each has a pitch inventory with strengths and weaknesses, endurance and tolerances, that follow suit.

Now remember, we’re talking about the human condition here. A condition that does not remain the same or with any degree of finite detail over and over again during repetitive motion. However, professionals in any sport have dedicated their lives to closing the gap of variation, and if they intend on surviving, they’d better keep that gap as narrow as possible.

Now here’s the big question that goes well beyond “who has the right form and better body motion(s)?” Do you want to sacrifice a large portion of your life, giving up your social experience of those around you, neglecting even the most basic of interactions with those you know to perfect the same degree of performance as those in this game that you admire?

In any event, to address your comments directly about a pitcher’s form and progressive motion - to the end, there is no one source of chapter and verse that suit all comers. Again, we as humans aren’t so adaptable to uniform movements where one size fits all. Nor do we have the mental capacity to fix our attention spans in such a neat and orderly fashion.

Good question though.

Coach B.