Rotational Power

I am looking for some tips/drills to increase my rotational power through my hips in my delivery.

Sometimes my pitching coach would tell me something and I wouldn’t quite get it physically until he worded his tip a different way. My mind understood but my body didn’t.

I really looking for some nice drills here.

[quote=“kjeezey”]I am looking for some tips/drills to increase my rotational power through my hips in my delivery.

Sometimes my pitching coach would tell me something and I wouldn’t quite get it physically until he worded his tip a different way. My mind understood but my body didn’t.

I really looking for some nice drills here.[/quote]

Actually trying to explode with your hips more is a perfect way to ruin your command. Generally, having a good tempo throughout your delivery will give you adequate rotation, so speeding up your delivery a bit could help.

Ab work, especially rotational work with the obliques will also help you.

Sometimes just telling you one thing or another isn’t enough—the coach actually has to demonstrate, show you exactly how it’s done.
I used to go to games at the original Yankee Stadium, every chance I got, and I would watch the pitchers. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one seamless, continuous motion, and that was how they were getting the power behind their pitches. I saw exactly how they were doing this, and I made a mental note of it and started working on it on my own. I quickly discovered that it took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder.
And on the day which I will never forget—Sept. 17, 1951—when I asked Yankee pitcher Ed Lopat about the slider, he drew me aside and showed me how to throw it. He told me, “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it”—and he demonstrated the off-center grip and the wrist action, first in slow motion and then at regular speed. Then he handed me the ball and said “Go ahead, try it.” I got the hang of it in about ten minutes. So you see, it’s not only tell, it’s show as well (oops! I made a rhyme)—and it pays off. 8) :baseballpitcher:

In response to FSTBLLTHRWER’s response to kjeezey…
If you are conscientiously focusing on the rotation of your hips while you’re pitching, I agree that it might mess you up some…while you’re pitching. However, it is absolutely a great idea to develop the strength necessary to have a more forceful hip rotation. Do what you can to strengthen your hip rotation by the necessary exercises. I haven’t seen your pitching motion kjeezey so I don’t know what you’re hip rotation looks like, especially in relation to your shoulder rotation. But keeping it simple here…do the strengthening exercises off the mound and that strength will naturally transition into your current mechanics.