Rotation Distance

When I’ve read people supporting scapular and horizontal arm loading, they say that it helps because the arm travels a greater distance in a certain amount of time than without the loading – thus, greater speed.

My question is how to look at this distance. Does this “increased distance” philosophy only apply to the arm in relation to the body and the acromial plance? Or is it increased distance in relation to a hypothetical line perpendicular to home plate?

Basically, if it was the second one, then you would get more velocity from reverse rotating your shoulders, and if it was the first, then you wouldn’t.

“Scap Loading” or “Separation” has more to do with torque than distance or what I call “Range of Motion.” If a pitcher has poor “Separation,” which occurs when the scapulars pinch and separate the back shoulder from back hip, then torque mainly exists in the shoulder and elbow. When a pitcher has good “Separation” like the pic below, Tom House would say 60 degrees of “Separation,” then he has majority torque in his core or stomach area. So now the pitcher is building torque with major muscle groups instead of small muscle groups. This not only increases velocity but improves longevity.

Now “Range of Motion,” as a product of good “Scap Loading” has increased because more torque has set the arm farther back behind the head, just after shoulder rotation. If we follow Newton’s 2nd Law of Motion, which proves that velocity increases with more application time if force applied stays the same, you will see that this law proves the distance theory you stated.

Ok, but if a pitcher really reverse rotates his shoulders, won’t he end up rotating a further distance and increasing speed based on the law you cited?

Yes, as long as this doesn’t decrease the force applied.