Roger Clemens mechanics

How does he stay so closed when he land is there anything that he does special that might help someone stay closed.

how can i stay closed as good as roger clemens?

Here’s one clue…

Look at the position of his arms in the picture you posted. Specifically, look at the alignment of the upper arms and at the forearm-to-upper arm angles. (The fact that one arm is up and the other down doesn’t matter.) This is the equal and opposite position that is part of Tom House’s mechanics model. House says you should be in this position at foot strike as that gives you the timing to delay shoulder rotation until you’ve achieved maximum hip and shoulder separation. Failure to get to the equal and opposite position at foot strike allows the front arm to do something that will lead to opening up the shoulders early.

Now, the amount of hip and shoulder separation you get is dictated by your flexibility in your torso.

Roger separates the ball /glove with both thumbs pointed down but brings the ball up higher than the glove. His stride foot lowers close to the ground and glides toward the target with his toe pointing in a closed position until he gets to the stride length he desires at which time the upper torso is still closed but the toe then points toward the target followed by the upper body action… You can take the arm stance you see in the pix plus a long stride stance with the lead toe closed, then lift and point the toe at the target, turn and accelerate etc. Do it a number of times without the ball, even look in a mirror as you go through the desired action. It really is not complicated unless you over think the adjustments you are attempting.

Some things that I find work with some people…

1. Pointing the glove, or the glove-side elbow, at the target. Clemens is pointing his glove-side elbow at the target in the photo.

2. Focusing on letting the hips pull the shoulders around. Don’t release the shoulders until you feel them being pulled around.

3. Work on the muscles that rotate the torso (and that keep the hips from rotating ahead of the shoulders). This includes increasing your rotational flexibility.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Clemens is pointing his glove-side elbow at the target in the photo.[/quote]To say that Clemens “points his glove-side elbow at the target” is absolutely, completely, ridiculously false. Watch VIDEO of him. Video. Not a still. His elbow NEVER stops moving through the stride and through release. NEVER. Man, when will you ever stop this insanity?? Hey, wait a minute. He pointed his elbow at first base for a split second there. Let’s all do that.

Love this clip. It clearly shows the Rocket doing something different yet in my view, essential; stabilize the lead foot and at release bring the knee to the ball side a few inches, to finish balanced

I should clarify one point in my post above. When I said look at the alignment of the upper arms, I didn’t mean that they were aligned perfectly with each other. Clearly they are not since Clemens loads both scapulas in a “chicken wing” fashion. What I meant was that both upper arms were up. I guess you could say they were aligned in the vertical plane but not in the horizontal plane.

My point about the matching arm angles still holds, however, and this is probably the more important point.

I feel that trying to hold something back is awkward. I’ve found that getting a pitcher to get his glove arm out front into that equal and opposite position uses up enough time that delayed shoulder rotation tends to just happen. Most people fail to appreciate the timing aspect of equal and opposite arms, IMHO.