Road To College Baseball

I came across this blog a few days ago and decided to start a pitching log to track my goals and accomplishments as well as being able to look back and appreciate what I have been through. It doesn’t matter to me whether 1,000 people read this or nobody does, just the fact that it is here will serve to motivate me. I’ll start with a little about myself:
Name: Dan
Class: Junior (Class of 2013)
Height: 5’11"
Weight: 150
Throws: Right
Arsenal: 4 seam fastball, 2 seam fastball, curveball, inconsistent change up
Fastball velocity: Mid-high 70’s (estimate)

Goals:
Long-Term: Go on to play college baseball at a school where I can get a good education and help a team win
Short-term:
Gain 5-10 pounds of muscle by the beginning of my junior season
Get my fastball velo up into the 80’s
Establish a role in the pitching rotation for my high school team
My Plan:
I plan to do this by absolutely killing myself and leaving it all out there on the practice field as well as in the weight room. I also plan on eating clean but eating a lot of food. This won’t be easy, I am no lock even to make my high school team this year, so I guess it’s time to get to work!

Have you played for your High School team yet?

I played for the freshman team my freshman year, and I played JV during my sophomore year. I have yet to play varsity ball, though.

Good luck

How’s your HS team looking for pitcher’s trying out vs. spots available on the Roster?

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]Good luck

How’s your HS team looking for pitcher’s trying out vs. spots available on the Roster?[/quote]

Each team is allowed to invite eight pitchers and two catchers to try out a week before the rest of the players report to tryouts. Last year, all eight of the pitchers who were invited played varsity, so here’s hoping.

Today I threw a bullpen, and while I didn’t have my best stuff, I was proud of the improvement I saw on my changeup. Two things I need to work on: I need to increase my arm speed on my change up so that it is the same as on my fastball, and I also need to work on releasing my pitches out in front of my body.

Yesterday had my first captain’s practice and afterward did 300 push ups and the P90X ab workout. The captain’s practice went well, I did some throwing progressions and played some light catch. It was also nice to get to have a practice with my high school teammates for the first time in a while. For the record, here is an example of an average week for me right now as far as baseball and workouts go:
Sunday: Captain’s practice
300 push ups
P90x ab workout

Monday: Play catch
Rest day, no workout

Tuesday: Lifting
Squat 5X5 (PR 225 lbs 3 reps)
DB Overhead press 5X5
Tri-set:
Single Leg Romanian Deadlift 4X6
Bent over row: 4X5
Split squat band hold: 4X15secs
Conditioning (Suicides, sled pulls, etc. depending on day)

Wednesday: Practice with my legion coach, who is also a college assistant coach, consisting of throwing progressions and then bullpens. Before and after the bullpens, we do band work. At the end of the practice, the pitchers do some form of running, usually suicides or distance running.

Thursday: Lifting
Deadlift 5X5 (PR: 275 lbs. one rep)
Bench Press 5X5
Tri-set:
Pull ups 4X6
Single leg hammy bucks 4X10
Inverted Row 4X8

Friday: Play catch
No workout

Saturday: Pitching clinic consisting of throwing progressions, long toss, a 32 pitch bullpen, and then a workout. The workout consists of the following:
Med ball squat 3X20
Med ball lunge 3X10each
Lateral lift 3X15 3 lbs
Front lift 3X15 5 lbs
Internal Rotation 3X15
External Rotation 3X15
One-arm rows 3X15
Wrist rollers 3X
Plank 60secs

Looks pretty solid if its working for you that’s great.

Thank you, and it helps that I’ve been blessed in the sense that I have a lot of people around me who know what they’re doing and want to help me get better.

I realize that I haven’t posted in here in a few days, and the reasons for that are: 1. Nothing new has really happened and 2. I’ve been busy with schoolwork, baseball, work, and when I have time, something that resembles a social life. Yesterday I threw a bullpen and while I’m satisfied with my fastball and the movement of my breaking ball and change up. What I really need to improve upon before the season starts, however, is controlling my off speed pitches. If I can control my change up and curveball as well as I do my fastball, I will be very successful

Where do you seem to be missing mostly with your off speed?

I’ve been missing mostly on my arm side with my changeup and my curveball is pretty erratic. The only place I generally don’t miss is up.

Get some video up of yourself for some analysis.

I’ll do my best, but it might be tough finding someone who wants to stand there and film me during a bullpen

Even if you can put it on a tripod or a make shift tripod and let it record during a session and put up part of it, it’ll help you out.

Today was a great day in the weight room. I PR’ed in the deadlift at 280 lbs for 2 reps. I’m hoping to get that up to 300 by the start of the baseball season. I have a practice/bullpen scheduled for tomorrow. I’m gonna make sure that I’m more ready than anyone by the time baseball season rolls around. I’m getting excited because it’s only a little over a month away!

The last few days have been solid. I threw a flatground yesterday and was hitting my spots fairly well and I’ve been making good adjustments mechanically. I got in the weight room today and I am very happy with the progress I have been making. Next week is test week in the gym, so I’ll most likely be back on here with some new PR’s later next week. On a non-baseball related note, I got my report card today. It wasn’t bad, but I could do a lot better. My GPA is 3.18. My goal is to get that up to 3.25 by the end of the year and 3.4 by graduation.

Recently I have been looking at colleges a lot more. As a result, I have also been looking at college camps and showcases. Two showcases that really struck me as interesting were the Headfirst Honor Roll showcase and the GPA baseball camp. A lot of great academic schools, schools that I would love to go to, attend those camps. Unfortunately, those camps are also very expensive. I’m not sure if my parents think college baseball is a realistic goal for me, so they’re certainly not going to shell out $500+ for a showcase. This is going to make getting exposure pretty difficult considering I am not really interested in going to school locally. I guess I gotta start brainstorming ideas or give my parents a sales pitch on helping me pay for a showcase or camp.

My bullpen today didn’t go as well as I would have liked, but it didn’t go poorly either. I wasn’t locating my fastball as well as usual, but I was still getting it over the plate for the most part. I like the drop and movement I’m starting to see on my change up. However, every now and then, I would throw one straight into the dirt. That has everything to do with my grip and release point, which luckily should be relatively easy fixes. Hopefully I can get some video up on here soon.

You really don’t need to go to showcases to get recruited. Send out an email with a brief description of you as a baseball player and as a student along with a highlight video of you pitching. Send these out to many colleges to get the most exposure.

Where do you play your summer ball? Is it on a select or elite team or a scout team? Or is it just local area rep?

Showcases are very expensive once you factor in travel food and lodging, but if you do your homework and attend the right ones for you they are very very beneficial.

Exposure and marketing yourself is the name of the game when it comes to trying to get noticed. What Ben suggests is great, but playing in front of coaches and recruiters is going to benefit you more then a coach looking at you on paper or a few minutes of video.

Check out the site and message boards for the highschoolbaseballweb.com its the best free assets you can use when it comes to the recruiting game of baseball.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Also depending on your families finances sometimes when it comes to Showcases the organization running them have been known to help player’s and their families out, don’t be shy about discussing this with the organizer it never hurts to ask.

I play American Legion for my summer ball. I live in Rhode Island, and I play locally for the most part. However, we do play in some tournaments. Most notably, last year there was a tournament at William and Mary, as well as a few tournaments that were fairly local. I have actually been on hsbaseballweb and read a bunch of articles on there. Some of the information on there is very helpful. Unfortunately, I don’t see my family getting any financial assistance as far as showcases go.