"Road to 90..." my offseason training log

Well, it’s that time of the year… And to be quite honest, I’m quite excited! :smiley: This past summer was a little frustrating due to injuries, but I made progress on the mound, and because of that, I’m quite happy with myself. My goal for this off season is to gain weight! I believe I have potential to reach 90 mph by the end of next summer, but there’s one thing holding me back, and that’s size.

I’ll be working with Mike Griffin this offseason! I’ll be purchasing his month-month programs continuously throughout the fall/winter.

Anyways, there’s not much else to say: I’ll be updating continuously starting today! :slight_smile:

Supplements I’m using:

WPI: GF Pro/substance wpi
Multi: Mega Men
Antioxidant: DS Vigor
Fish oil: Now super epa
Creatine formulation: Man Clout
Joint/repair: Bulk Cissus
Digestion/Health: Now Ginger root

Extras: On workout days: 2-3 scoops of (free form BCAA) Xtend/1 scoop wpi/6 grams of bulk citrulline Malate pre/during workout.

Just wondering your age, height, weight, and how from 90 mph you are right now. Look forward to seeing how it turns out for you. Good Luck.

What is your starting weight, height, and velocity?

Good luck on your program. :smiley:

Thanks! I’m throwing around 80-82; 5’10, 127.4, but I’m usually around 130-132 most of the time. So any weight I gain over the next couple of weeks will most likely be muscle memory. My mechanics are pretty solid, and I feel with an extra 35-40 lbs on my frame, I’ll have a shot at hitting 90. It all depends on diet, frequency, and staying consistent. I have to eat every 2-3 hours which my be a little hard, but I’m up to the challenge!

School starts the 22nd, so there will be definitely some changes, but my goal is to eat 3-4 whole food meals each day, and 2-4 cups of spinach-which I hate! I ordered 4 Blender Bottles yesterday to mix my shakes up while at school. I’ll let you all know how they work.
http://blenderbottle.com/index.htm HSN sells a pack of 4 for $19.95.

Today: woke up a little later then usual, but ehh, I feel pretty good.

11:35 A.M. 1/2 tsp of Bulk cissus ( :shock:, tastes terrible, cap them)!
11:45: A.M. 1 scoop of GF Pro cherry in water
12:45 P.M. 1 cup of oatmeal with ground cinnamon, multi, 2 fish oil, vigor, ginger root.
Shake: 12 oz of milk, 1 scoop gf pro, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
3:30 1 chicken breast, 2 cup spinach, 1 cup of oatmeal, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
6:15 1 chicken breast, 2 cups of spinach, 3/4 cup of oatmeal, 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, 2 fish oil, ginger root, 1 multi, 1 vigor
8:50 1/2 cup of oats, scoop of gf pro, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, 8 oz of lactaid milk
Last couple of meals I’m having: steak, 2 cups of spinach, glass of milk, 2 fish oil, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
Pre-bed: 1 scoop of xtreme formulations ultra peptide chocolate, 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter, 8 oz milk.

I still have about 3-4 more meals left, but, I figured out a way to eat my spinach! I stick 2 cups in a blender, add water, a little bit of lemon juice to flavor it, and then drink it.

Edit: I’ll update a little bit later on my meals, and then update monday night after my first workout.

Well, I’m out, I’ll update again monday night!

How Old are you?

I’m 17: I thought I mentioned that earlier, but I guess not, sry bout that…

i requested you on myspace. the name is mark btw

Today wasn’t what I expected it to be. Family came into visit, and my uncle was here from the lower 48. I didn’t have a chance to workout, but in saying that, I will definitely be able to workout tomorrow! :slight_smile:

Today was a plyometric/medicine ball workout, but I was helping my mom out, and hanging out with some of my family, whom I haven’t seen in a while.

Anyways, I still had a good day eating, and look forward to officially starting my workout tomorrow.

What I ate today: 1/2 tsp bulk cissus (morning, and night).

3 cups of oatmeal (ate)
1.5 cups in shake form
4 scoops cherry wpi
2 chicken breast
6 cups of baby spinach
About 1/2 gallon of lactaid 1 % milk
12 oz of orange juice
4 oz grape juice
2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
1 scoop xtreme formulations
1 banana
5 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
6 fish oil
2 multi
2 vigor
2 ginger root

Well, I’ll update again tomorrow!

Well, tuesday was a terrible day! I had no energy, and the workout sucked! I managed to get through squats, dumbbell incline presses, and deadlifts before I left. I don’t know what happened, but I know I never want to feel like that again!

Thursday was pretty good. I don’t have anywhere to perform my medicine ball exercises yet, but next thursday, I’ll have a place to do them! :slight_smile: Since school starts up next tuesday, I’ll be doing my monday and thursday workouts there!

Thursday I did:
3x5 jump squats
4x5 box jumps
3x6 split jumps

Friday-saturday morning I did:

Pre/during workout: 1 scoop man clout, 1 serving of Citrivol
shake: 1 scoop of wpi/14 oz of gatorade/3 scoops of xtend/6 grams of citrulline malate.

Squats: 3x10x135 atg
Swiss ball dumbbell bench: 1x10x25, 1x10x30, 1x8x40 (brand new to these)
bentover row: 3x10x95
Single Leg dumbbell Squat: 3x10x15 (brand new to these)
Shoulder press: 3x10x45 (brand new to these)
Close Grip Pull Ups: 2x10, 1x6, 1x4
Sumo Deadlift: 3x10x135
Dips: 3x10
Dumbbell curls: 3x10x20

Post workout: 1 tsp of Bulk Cissus
Shake: 1/2 cup of oats, 1 scoop cherry wpi, 14-16 oz of gatorade.
1 vigor

I’ll update later on my weight, and nutrition!

Well, here’s how the meal plan has essentially been going.

1/2 tsp of bulk cissus

1 scoop wpi with water

1 cup of oatmeal with ground cinnamon
10-12 oz of lactaid 1 % milk, 1 scoop cherry wpi, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil

1 chicken breast, 1 cup of oatmeal, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, lactaid milk, multi, ginger root, vigor, fish oil

Same as above except no supplements added

1-1.5 hours before workout

1 scoop wpi, xfactor gatorade or 1 % lactaid milk, 1 cup of oats

pre/during workout: 1 scoop man clout, 3 scoops xtend, 12-14 oz of xfactor gatorade, 1 scoop cherry wpi, 6 grams of citrulline malate

about 14 oz of xfactor gatorade, 1-1.5 scoops of wpi, 1/2 cup of oats, vigor.

Dinner type meal: varies, could be chicken again, or steak, or even pasta. One thing for certain, I have complex carbs, protein, and a shot of extra virgin olive oil at this meal. Multi, fish oil, ginger root

Pre Bed:
1/2 tsp of Bulk Cissus

Xtreme formulations ultra peptide chocolate, 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter, 8-10 oz of lactaid milk. Fish oil

Extras: I’ll add bananas occasionally to my shake in the morning. If I’m sick of oatmeal, I’ll have like 2-3 pieces of whole wheat toast/1/2 cup of oatmeal at earlier meals. I use Smart Balance spread on my toast, and sprinkle it with ground cinnamon. Or I’ll just have primarily toast for the complex carbs at the meal.

I have a 1-2 green smoothies a day: I take them in between meals. They consist of tropicana orange juice, spinach, and water. I have atleast 1 serving of spinach a day!

Also, plenty of water! but not during meals. About 20-30 minutes afterwards. I even add lemon juice to my water. Not all the time, but atleast 2-3 times a day.

Well, that pretty much covers what I eat on a daily basis.

Following the 1 serving of Man Clout, 5-6 hours later, I take another serving during a meal. I take 2 servings daily.

I’ll update each sunday what I weigh.

Also: if I don’t have time to cook, then I’ll just have a shake consisting of 1 scoop of cherry wpi, 1/2 cup of oats, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, and lactaid milk.

I’m still learning about nutrition, and will continue to vary things up as I move further along in the offseason. It’s all about diet/nutrition! Something I’m trying to teach myself, and hopefully the knowledge I attain over the coming months will provide me with an edge later on!

On off days, I eat primarily whole foods, and that’s it. I still have 2-3 scoops of protein though. But 5 of my meals are whole food meals!

Well, it’s sunday, I weighed in at 130.6

One question: why are you adding lemon juice to your water?
Never heard that one before.

http://www.middlepath.com.au/plant/lemon.php
http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/lemon%20water.htm
http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20040711.htm
http://www.oohoi.com/natural%20remedy/everyday_food/lemon.htm

quick google found this, but I use it for detoxification purposes.

Lemon water helps unblock stagnant and clogged chi in the body. Chi needs to flow effortlessly and harmoniously if the body is to be in a healthy state. Lemon water is a good morning drink to start the process of removing impure chi in the body.
Benefits

* Cleanses the digestive system.It relieves symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching. Controls constipation and diarrhea by eliminating waste more efficiently.
* Good Source of Vitamin C. It enhances the beauty of your skin. Drinking the lemon juice rejuvenates the skin from within.
* Cleanses the Liver. It aids in eliminating waste in the liver.
* Stimulates digestion and elimination. Have a glass of lemon water in the morning before you eat to awaken your digestion and elimination systems.

Well, I had a good workout today. Energy levels were great, and my flexibility is increasing! Which is good, I can’t afford to strain/pull any muscles again!

Here’s what I did:

3x5 Jump Squats
4x5 Box jumps
3x6 split jumps
3x planks

At the moment, I’m not able to perform any medicine ball exercises, but this thursday, I will be able to incorporate them into the routine.

Well, I’m out, first day of school tomorrow… :frowning:

Well, I had my first day of school! :frowning: Hmm, well, I may have a problem eating at school. Some of my classes do not allow food or drinks, so I may have to go about 3-4 hours without eating. I’m thinking of just sneaking in a shake, and drinking that in class. Problem with doing this is that I may not be able to go to the bathroom if I have to. I’ll figure something out though. I may just sip on bcaas during the school day, and wait for lunch.

Well, other then the fact that only slept about 2.5-3 hours last night, I still worked out. I took a nap later on in the day-about 2.5 hours, and after that, I began prepping up for my workout.

Here’s what I did:

Squat: 1x10x135, 1x10x145, 1x10x155
DB Incline Bench: 1x10x20, 1x10x25, 1x6x30, 1x4x25
Dumbbell Rows: 1x30x10, 1x35x10, 1x45x10
RDL: 1x10x135, 2x10x155
Shoulder Lateral raises: 3x10x10
Hammer Chins: 3x10
Single Leg Deadlift: 1x8x20, 1x8x30, 1x8x20

I switched out Pull ups for hammer chins. Pull ups and wide grip pull ups aggrevate my left shoulder.

I was supposed to add skull crusher, and hammer curls, but skull crushers hurt my elbow, so I’m going to contact mike about switching in a different exercise.

I also switched out cable rows for dumbbell rows due to the fact that I was working out at home, and did not have access to standing cable row machine.

Other then that, it was a good workout. Just missing the isolation on tri/bi’s, but I’ll have that included by next workout. I’m thinking of adding tricep pulldowns, since I’ll be working out at the gym.

You can do another tricep lift other than skull crushers. Tricep extensions are fine.

Talked with Mike earlier today, and will be switching my workout days to sunday, monday, wed, thursday since I have fall ball on the weekends. This should allow me to be well rested to pitch on sundays.

On thursday, I did my plyometric workout, and other then that, been resting up for Sunday, since I’ll be pitching.

I’m trying to get a video of me pitching, but at the moment, do not have access to a video camera. If I’m able to borrow one from someone, I’ll post a video of me pitching.

I’m also sort of in the “road to 90” as you. Though im not taking an insane amount of supplements and eating spinach. I’m lifting, jump roping, and am out on that mound 3 or 4 times a week, and then long tossing. I’ve actually added velocity and our season ended 1 month ago. With several months until next season, I am hoping for those extra 5 ticks to pass by.

haha, but I actually just take the basics except for the ginger root/bulk cissus/citrulline malate. But if you read the research behind those, you’ll understand why I choose to supplement with them.

But man, I would just like to add that I hope your training goes well, and that you’ll get those extra few miles per hour out of your fastball! :slight_smile: I actually had a couple of games today and pitched 3 innings. Felt great, and velocity is definitely getting up there, which I’m quite happy about. But I’ll never be satisifed until I can hit low 90’s consistently! Good luck!

One of the reasons why I supplement the way I do is because I’m interested in sports nutrition. I plan on majoring in it, and I believe that if you have the edge in the nutrition department, it’ll only aid in your performance. One thing I’ve noticed is that I’m able to recover much faster then what I used to, and my energy levels are awesome going into my workouts!