Rising Fastball--how?

How do you throw rising fastball? I know scientists say it doens’t really rise, but it does look effective as 2-strike pitch

A “rising” fastball is really just a 4-seam fastball. Typically when a 4 seamer is thrown hard enough with enough back spin it will give the illusion of rising. So basically you gotta throw hard to throw a “rising” fastball.

Who’s that pitcher?

Chan Ho Park. That was back in 1997 and he pitched a complete game in that video. He was throwing 97mph heater back then. But I saw him hitting as low as 87~90mph these days

Normally a slower fastball drops as it comes towards the plate. However some pitchers throw it hard enough that the ball doesnt drop quite as much, this gives it the illusion that it is rising.

it will only actually rise if you throw submarine

Even then it isn’t rising, it’s just going up :wink:

I consider rising to be when something goes up when normally it wouldn’t like a balloon or something.

A sub pitch is thrown up.

fair enough

[quote=“vertigo”]How do you throw rising fastball? I know scientists say it doens’t really rise, but it does look effective as 2-strike pitch

[/quote]

That’s not a rising fastball. It’s just a “high” fastball combined with the fact that Park had a low release point. Almost as low as Tom Seaver. It’s just an optical illusion.

Correct me if I’m wrong but that whole scientific thing only applies to a ball being on a horizontal or sloping downward trajectory. It also depends on what you mean by rise. A submariner can throw the ball up, if you call that rising.

I consider rising leaving a relatively straight trajectory upwards.
Submariners dont throw rising fastballs because their fastball goes up in a straight line. If that makes sense. The submarine fastball is on a constantly straight trajectory, while for a fastball to be truly rising it would have to leave that trajectory, which is pretty hard. I dont know if its impossible, but I dont see it happenining.

Actually, most submariners’ fastballs will sink because they don’t throw hard enough and they don’t put 6-12 spin on it.

it is impossible to get a fastball to rise, i was wondering the same thing…but it’s just an illusion due to the pitcher on a mound. if the pitcher was on flat ground it wouldnt look like the ball was rising.

It’s kind of hard to explain.

Actually, a submariner’s fastball will have spin like a curveball (correct me if i’m wrong, xv84).

What kind of balloons did you have as a kid? Balloons were invented to rise. Hot air balloons, helium balloons…

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - s
bal·loon /bəˈlun/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[buh-loon] –noun
– a bag made of a light material, as silk or plastic, filled with heated air or a gas lighter than air, designed to rise and float in the atmosphere and often having a car or gondola attached below for carrying passengers or scientific instruments.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) -
rise /raɪz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rahyz]
–verb (used without object)
– to move from a lower to a higher position; move upward; ascend:

I’d say this describes a submariner’s FB, don’t you?

Hose

I love you too, Slurvaceous one. Depends on the arm angle. But that kind of up-then-down movement is what makes them effective. I was catching Nolan the other day while he was messing around with his “riser” and I’ll be darned if it didn’t rise…then he switched his release point and arm angle, and bam! it did the up-down-and-in-to-a-righty action.

Nasty pitch, though I’m discouraging it for the moment.

Hose

it is possible for a normal 4 seam fastball to rise. it just take a whole lot of perfect 6-12 spin. kinda like a golf ball ballooning because of to much backspin

Key word is perfect. You would have to put tremendous amounts of backspin, which is impossible in the real world.

on a mound, you can make it look like it’s rising, on flat ground, it’s impossible.

it’s called gravity :wink:

submariners can do it on flat ground if they throw hard enough w/the right angle.

How about the kid in the backround of that video waving his hands off. That made me laugh.