RHP pitching mechanics help 6’4

I kinda Know for the most part what I need to work on but I can use all the help i can Get! I’m a 6’4 185 lbs pitcher. Senior in high school and my velocity sucks. I just Started pitching as of February of 2018 so I know it’s going to take time I just feel like I should be higher than where I am given my height weight and the amount of work I put in every day! Thanks for the help!image

My velocity is about 70 I’ve touched 75 and I know that kid is like 12 that’s the only recent film I have that It would let me use. It’s from my training and I was throwing live

Here is me at the Florida Juco Showcase over the weekend of 12-14-18 - 12-16-18

Cjac1027,

I kinda Know for the most part what I need to work on but I can use all the help i can Get!

Give us an idea of what you think increases velocity?

“ I’m a 6’4 185 lbs pitcher.”

Yet you pitch at 5’5” because your glove knee during drive is bent and statically flexed while you are bending your back forwards giving you less rotational ability and less downwards plain after release. That’s 3 velocity gainers right there, fix those first.

The best drill for this and virtually the best drill ever devised, performed with wrist weights, lead balls or baseballs is the “no step body action drill” where you emphasis pulling against your glove side foot and glove arm to force couple shoulder and body rotation while staying tall and rotating while your driving the ball.

“No step body action drill”-

Stand with your legs apart and feet pointed towards home plate the width of a light trotting gate.

Pendulum swing your glove arm and ball arm evenly with the glove arm slightly bent and always above the field driveline (imaginary line running from target directly thru the driver) while inwardly rotating your Humerus and pointing you arm right at the target while simultaneously having your ball arm arrive oppositely by rotating the Humerus and forearm outwardly while keeping it above the field driveline.

When the ball arrives to driveline height (the height of the ball side elbow when pitched directly overhead) about top of head high the athlete feels the signal to pull on his glove side foot and glove at the same time elevate their elbows by tilting their torso’s towards the glove side and face your triceps towards home, then drive the implement maximally. The glove side leg will fully extend to form the base of the bodies now tall axis. Pop your elbow up, do not pull it down!! Recover by rotating fully 180 degrees by trying to put your hand in your back pocket.

Try now to mimic that arrival and drive with your delivery.

“Senior in high school and my velocity sucks.”

To achieve your highest genetic velocity potential you must first be maximally and sport specifically fit to bullet proof your musculature against ill timed contractions.

You should also clean up your Humeral/forearm arrival mechanics to eliminate many types of joint injuries.

Are you training? Is the training “Sport specific” or general?

Do you know the difference between Forearm pronation and supination? Very important here!

Do you understand the difference between maximally performing/training and nominally performing/training and why it’s important to lengthen (load) your self rhythmically (nominally) and shorten (fire) your self maximally?

All my pitchers are at the end of their 3rd month of 4 months of sport specific training regression and unable to compete right now at X-mas.

“ I just Started pitching as of February of 2018 so I know it’s going to take time I just feel like I should be
higher than where I am given my height weight and the amount of “

Keep pushing that plow and learn this information and you will keep improving at all aspects of pitching.

1 Like

Thanks for responding, and what I’ve told that’s killing my velocity is my arm action and my shoulders. I’ve been working to improve my arm action and I’m trying to learn how to use my shoulders more. I’m not saying that’s my only problem but I’m saying that’s what I’m aware of but I knew it had to be more which is why I came here too. I’ve been looking for more things I can do at all as well, is there any way you can link me to a video of this drill? I’m a visual learner so it’s kind of hard for me to understand with words. Is there any drills you know of i can Do at home to clean up my forearm action? That would be great too! My training is sport specific it’s a place called “Top Level Athletes” i take pitching classes and then they have us lift wit position specific lifts/workouts. Yes I do know the difference between forearm pronation and supination but if you noticed anything I’m all ears I really just want to learn so I’m open to everything. As far as maximally and nominally training I dont really understand that at all or if i do I’ve never heard those terms but I might understand if you explained it to me. So I’m open of course. Thank you for your advice I really appreciate you taking the time. I’m open to all advice and tips you have for me. Also what is your sport specific training regression? It sounds like it would help me

First of all, we must internalize the ‘flatulation’ of the matter by transmitting the effervescence of the ‘Indianisian’ proximity in order to further segregate the crux of my venereal infection. Now, if I may retain my liquids here for one moment. I’d like to continue the ‘redundance’ of my quote, unquote ‘intestinal tract’, you see because to preclude on the issue of world domination would only circumvent - excuse me, circumcise the revelation that reflects the ‘Afro-disiatic’ symptoms which now perpetrates the Jheri Curis activation. Allow me to expose my colon once again. The ramification inflicted on the incision placed within the Fallopian cavities serves to be holistic taken from the Latin word ‘jalapeno’."
– Oswald Bates, [In Living Color]

Some of the older guys will get it.

I’m not understanding at all right now lol

Cjac,

“Thanks for responding”

I normally do not respond when someone is just seeking Velo but you are new to pitching and I wanted to show you how pitching mechanics and fitness play the only role in efficiency or injurious (pathomechanics) force application.

“what I’ve told that’s killing my velocity is my arm action and my shoulders. I’ve been working to improve my arm action and I’m trying to learn how to use my shoulders more.”

You’re shoulders actually rotate further than most traditional oriented pitchers who perturb shoulder rotation by being late with their Humeral/forearm arrival at (benchmark) glove side foot plant and back bending from this lack of rotational effort that gives you an angulation drive and recovery, not a more rotational one.

“ I’m not saying that’s my only problem but I’m saying that’s what I’m aware of but I knew it had to be more which is why I came here too.”

Saying Shoulder problem is to blanketed a sentence. Tell us exactly what they recommend you do to fix with this perceived problem.

Most shoulder rotational problems come from being late (arrival to length) plus, to long a stride that does not allow the glove side leg to be used to pull against, this is a traditional coach instructional fallacy that leads to most Velo and targeting problems.

“I’ve been looking for more things I can do at all as well, is there any way you can link me to a video of this drill? “

“No Step body action”

From the front on a beginner 6 mo. ago, who’s arm action is now above the driveline instead of “over early rotated”

From the back on a lefty just cracking high 8’s, he is in full training regression now. When I bring him out of regression by starting his maintenance routine at ½ the weight and reps in mid January. During his competitive championship season, he should be at low 9’s.

“I’m a visual learner so it’s kind of hard for me to understand with words.”

Words and meanings are easily learned by just Googling them but I understand and will put captioned meaning following what i say if I think you will have a problem, just be patient and you will learn and understand as we go. I will repeat myself many times so you can keep moving forwards.

“Is there any drills you know of i can Do at home to clean up my forearm action?”

Yes, you must understand that all you’re pitch types must be driven and released with forearm pronation.

This means you must arrive (Humeral/forearm) at the back after you drop in with a supinated forearm and outwardly rotated Humerus so you can then ballistically (fastest Joint articulations) perform forearm pronation safely.

“My training is sport specific it’s a place called “Top Level Athletes” i take pitching classes and then they have us lift wit position specific lifts/workouts.”

This is the mistake most general trainers make, including the most recognized ones. All resistance training is performed for general daily body use and evenly distributed. This sounds great but is not the definition of “Sport specific” the main tenet in training athletes.

keep performing your general workout because it will help you be more agile while fielding but they will not help you throw faster

“Sports specificity” means to interval resistance train in the complete motion of you’re activity. This is fully compounded from the start of the first Kinetic chain (lengthening) through the second Kinetic chain (shortening) through the third Kinetic chain (recovery). To achieve this you will need a set of 10 pd. wrist weights (sand) and a 4 to 6 pound ball (lead or steel). My clients start with dead blow balls (2 to 4 pds,) (Plyo balls) for 5 weeks then move directly up to a ladies 6lb. shot put. You will need a partner or a rebound wall or net.

“Yes I do know the difference between forearm pronation and supination but if you noticed anything I’m all ears I really just want to learn so I’m open to everything.”

Understand first that traditional coaches know very little about what it takes to achieve true forearm drive, release and recovery forearm pronation! What they recognize as pronation is usually “Voluntary full range of motion forearm supination drive where the forearm now has no where else to go but back the other way into involuntary pronation right at release”, not what were talking about and they all make this mistake. When you explain this in detail to them they all balk.

Perform the football motor drills! These teach you how to release the baseball by pronating the drive.

Here is a client performing a Torque day (pronated from outside the ball) the P. Curve and P. fastball (P. Cutter) football throws from the wrong foot forwards position, the hardest to learn.

The next day he performs a maxline day where all pitch types are pronated from inside the ball. These are performed daily for 4 months along with all the other elements of the program.

There are 5 other positions if you want more pitch types!

“As far as maximally and nominally training I don’t really understand that at all or if i do I’ve never heard those terms but I might understand if you explained it to me.”

Please ask any questions you do not understand! These terms are used in the science of Kinesiology.

The term “Maximal” effort means you voluntarily drive as hard a you can.

The term “Nominal” effort means you performed middle of the road effort.

The term “Minimal” effort means.

If you wanted to thesaurus a term to cover this as if it was your own original thought you would come up with terms like “intent” to redefine what has all ready been defined!!! I have even heard people use the term maximal intent, LOL.

“So I’m open of course.”

Curiosity is a magic elixir. keep learning and you will do well.

“Also what is your sport specific training regression? It sounds like it would help me”

I use Dr. Mike Marshall’s pedagogy (curriculum)(learning plan) to the fullest extent.

Many others now have been inspired to plan their own versions of this workout but fail in understanding you can not use traditional mechanics because they are pathological (injurious) and will cause joint injuries at a faster rate than a light ball. This is where “sports specificity” fails throwing athletes because pitching/throwing coaches fail to grasp this importance because they have been dupedby well meaning but Kinesiologically challenged Org’s that think pitch counts are what injures you.

You said my shoulders rotate further than normal. IS that a good thing? With my shoulders they say they don’t move as much as they could like I’m not generating enough power from them. What they’ve been trying to do is to try go act like I’m elbowing someone behind me so I can Consciously remember to use my glove shoulder/elbow so it doesn’t just sit there. I might Be rotating too late as well. Thank you for showing me a visual of the drill, can you tell me again what all it will help me with when i do It? I’m going to try to take video so i show You and you can tell me if I’m doing it correct. Is there anyway i can Contact you besides this website? Email? Phone? Social media?

Cjac,

“You said my shoulders rotate further than normal.”

Yes, traditionally oriented pitchers do not rotate their “Acromial line” (imaginary line running shoulder tip to tip) much during the forwards acceleration phase portion of their drive through release and because they anchor their ball side leg back then bend their backs gives them a Torso angulative drive that has their body rotate long before the Humerus is ready to throw. This approach has some degrees of rotation during drive but not much.

The goal in gaining more rotational degrees while the forwards acceleration phase is being performed is to have the humerus/forearm up and ready at length with slight bend in the elbow when the glove foot grabs earth. Now when the signal to turn it on goes off, you attain more rotational and linear length. Coach Newton approves of this approach!

You rotate your shoulders very well in comparison to a nominally arriving traditional approach. You get another 20 degrees, this is good but you carry the traits of a different motion in your bottom half that could have you rotate even more while driving the ball if you knew what went intuitively with what.

Again “stay tall” by having your glove side knee extend (firm up straight) into release!!!

“With my shoulders they say they don’t move as much as they could like I’m not generating enough power from them.”

So work on rotational speed and length! Pull against your glove side leg after it grabs earth. pull against you’re glove side arm and pull it straight into your upper shoulder by supinating you’re forearm where your glove is right next to you’re glove side cheek. This helps protect you’re face when Bubba might tag you back thru the middle.

“What they’ve been trying to do is to try go act like I’m elbowing someone behind me so I can Consciously remember to use my glove shoulder/elbow so it doesn’t just sit there.”

We teach, reach back like you are going to “shake Shaques hand” with you’re hand underneath.

The No Step drill will teach you to force couple you’re glove arm because it emphasizes it. When you feel the glove and foot start to pull immediately raise you’re ball side elbow and face your triceps towards home plate, then always train and throw maximally. Remember I want you to do this drill with 10 lb. wrist weights also. I will some times put a wrist weight on the glove arm with a baseball in the other only to show how velocity immediately improves and so they can feel it, they only get a couple of these attempts (all you smart guy’s better not start putting dimes at the end of you’re dang gloves!!)

“I might Be rotating too late as well.”

Remember, the “benchmark” for turning on the first acceleration phase (Rotational acceleration phase) is when the glove foot grabs earth firmly. This is best done with a Nominal stride length landing slightly to the glove side of the field driveline. If you are attaining this timing, you are good to go.

“Thank you for showing me a visual of the drill, can you tell me again what all it will help me with when i do It?”

It teaches you so much, this is why I consider it the best drill ever devised !

It basically teaches you where to start the first acceleration phase from by pendulum swinging you’re arms apart above the field driveline and their arrival action (outwards rotation) and how to apply effort from the glove foot and arm first. It puts you into the most efficient anatomical and lengthy position. It teaches you how to apply rotation into you’re approach. It teaches you how to recover safely and attain the best athletic defensive position (drop step position) by rotating 175 degrees

“I’m going to try to take video so i show You and you can tell me if I’m doing it correct.”

No problem. when you come back with it try to explain in detail how it felt to stay tall and pull against your glove leg.

“Is there anyway i can Contact you besides this website? Email? Phone? Social media?”

We converse here as a privilege by the Owner and Moderators who give us this great source of free information at their expense and time. I prefer to give you this information here so others who wish to participate can. We do have the Social media covered. I would like you and others to read Dr. Marshall’s free scientific materials even if you do not understand it. I guarantee you if you take you’re time (months) and go thru it all you will be understanding more and more as you go and you will protect you’re children.