RHP Looking for some help on mechanics

Hi my name is Jonathan

I’m 18
about 5’8
weight 165

I’m just looking for some feedback on my mechanics.
i would appreciate some constructive criticism and on what to work on and how. I’m new to the site and regret not knowing about it before. If is not too much to ask i would like someone to tell me like an estimate of my velocity as i cannot afford a radar gun.

Thanks everyone

PS. I know a guy my age should be throwing harder but i guess i kinda got a late start on baseball and i never had a pitching coach or someone telling me whats right or wrong while pitching even thou i always try my best, Again thanks everyone.

As far as velocity goes(and this is a guesstimate) high 60’s-low 70’s. Your size it’s not like you can pickup a ball and throw 85-90 whereas some big guys don’t need much effort at all or training, just because of sheer size then can throw hard. So don’t worry too much about velo right now, work on hitting spots and working on good offspeed. Then add the velocity

Mechanically I like what I see. Very smooth delivery but if you keep the front shoulder closed for a little bit longer, get the glove high in the air. Watch videos of Zack Greinke especially not a big guy, has good mechanics and is still able to generate the same power as Tim Lincecum without the funky mechanics because he stays closed so long and drives hard to the plate.

One real problem you have is landing on your heel. This keeps you from getting over your lead leg and causes you to release the ball from behind your head. It also contributes to a poor follow through. Land on the ball of the foot with a bent front leg.

This is just me, but it looks like you are bringing your pivot leg forward too early. Just a tad anyways. I found that leaving it behind you helps control a TON. You’ll see what i mean when you see pros pitch. The follow through with their leg plenty of time AFTER the ball is released. Finding this out helped my follow through and control greatly and i hope it will do the same for you.

Don’t worry i’m like you. Late to pitching with no coaches, seeing how high i can get my level up until i’m satisfied. I just started a few months ago and i’m 19.

Good Luck to Both of us!

Thanks, and will do.

I will try to keep my front shoulder closed longer, i have try to get my glove in the air but I’m more focused on keeping my glove hand behind my front hip to create more torque. Like u suggested I’ve been watching Zack Greinke and it help me a lot, it show me how to drive more to the plate and plant my front foot better. I will implement all I’ve learned the next time i throw, thank you.

Thanks, i will practiced landing on the ball of my feet, but can you suggest any useful way i can start practicing on that?

Like this??

[quote=“tiki510”]This is just me, but it looks like you are bringing your pivot leg forward too early. Just a tad anyways. I found that leaving it behind you helps control a TON. You’ll see what i mean when you see pros pitch. The follow through with their leg plenty of time AFTER the ball is released. Finding this out helped my follow through and control greatly and i hope it will do the same for you.

Don’t worry i’m like you. Late to pitching with no coaches, seeing how high i can get my level up until i’m satisfied. I just started a few months ago and i’m 19.

Good Luck to Both of us![/quote]

Thanks a lot, my friend kinda noticed that but i wasn’t sure on how to leave it back a bit longer. Its great to see someone like me and yes good luck for us because we are gonna need it. Thanks man.

or this??

Like this??

[/quote]

This will help a lot, Thank you.

or this??

Looks to me like cookie cutters are for cookies :wink:

As jd suggested w/ his Maddux vid, if you are landing on your heel and you feel balanced and in control doing that, you should not change how you land.

Here’s another guy, a pretty good pitcher, who lands on his heel:

In my experience there are some very important issues that every good pitcher needs to be aware of, or at least take care of properly with or without awareness: Important variables in everyone’s delivery include: Starting posture, balance, early generation of forward momentum toward the plate, equal and opposite arms, hip/shoulder separation and delayed shoulder rotation, glove-side control before release of the ball, maintaining a consistent reproducible release point.

On the other hand, there are a number of things that vary greatly from pitcher to pitcher and appear to have little or no effect on overall ability: What your leg lift looks like (as long as you maintain dynamic balance in your delivery, you can lift your leg any way you choose). How your stride foot touches down (there are elite pitchers who land open, others who land closed, others who land w/ stride foot pointing right at the target. There are pitchers who land on the ball of the foot, the heel of the foot, or heel and ball of the foot at the same time–it doesn’t seem to matter, so do what feels “natural” and don’t spend valuable time and effort trying to ‘fix what ain’t broken’. There are many different ‘looks’ for equal & opposite arms–it doesn’t matter what yours looks like as long as they are ‘equal & opposite’.

Etc, etc…

Yeah… i don’t get the cookie cutter stuff but thanks for the videos. I know is like a term the people use but i don’t know the definition of it.

Cookie cutter connotates that there is “one way”…which there isn’t, it’s what the vids show, Maddux, Beckett, Dice-K…Heck I was just warming up…

How bout that Rocket??
A good pitching coach takes what is presented and works to make it the most efficient delivery that person/body can make…no two pitchers are alike…I reject out of hand those stereotypical approaches and will do what I can to show that there may in fact be other methods that may in fact also work. Just trying to open the eyes and minds, in an amicable and light hearted way 8)

[quote=“laflippin”]As jd suggested w/ his Maddux vid, if you are landing on your heel and you feel balanced and in control doing that, you should not change how you land.

Here’s another guy, a pretty good pitcher, who lands on his heel:

In my experience there are some very important issues that every good pitcher needs to be aware of, or at least take care of properly with or without awareness: Important variables in everyone’s delivery include: Starting posture, balance, early generation of forward momentum toward the plate, equal and opposite arms, hip/shoulder separation and delayed shoulder rotation, glove-side control before release of the ball, maintaining a consistent reproducible release point.

On the other hand, there are a number of things that vary greatly from pitcher to pitcher and appear to have little or no effect on overall ability: What your leg lift looks like (as long as you maintain dynamic balance in your delivery, you can lift your leg any way you choose). How your stride foot touches down (there are elite pitchers who land open, others who land closed, others who land w/ stride foot pointing right at the target. There are pitchers who land on the ball of the foot, the heel of the foot, or heel and ball of the foot at the same time–it doesn’t seem to matter, so do what feels “natural” and don’t spend valuable time and effort trying to ‘fix what ain’t broken’. There are many different ‘looks’ for equal & opposite arms–it doesn’t matter what yours looks like as long as they are ‘equal & opposite’.

Etc, etc…[/quote]

Thanks a lot for those words, I tyr to stay away from stuff like “oh if he has the same body type as me and still manages to throw hard i have to copy his mechanics and thats it” I know that is a terrible way to think and won’t get me anywhere.

Cookie cutter connotates that there is “one way”…which there isn’t, it’s what the vids show, Maddux, Beckett, Dice-K…Heck I was just warming up…

How bout that Rocket??
A good pitching coach takes what is presented and works to make it the most efficient delivery that person/body can make…no two pitchers are alike…I reject out of hand those stereotypical approaches and will do what I can to show that there may in fact be other methods that may in fact also work. Just trying to open the eyes and minds, in an amicable and light hearted way 8)

[/quote]

Thanks for the definition, I know every pitcher is different but im trying to find the common stuff that they do to implement them in my mechanics. Don’t get me wrong im not trying to copy anyone’s mechanics, im trying to improve on mines and introduce a couple of things that would greatly help me. Again thanks for the vids.

My pitching coach used to say it was a heel to toe transfer, but you didn’t land with a jarring motion, it was like stepping on a gas pedal, touch n roll. Anyway, it looks like maddux is not landing on the ball of the foot which is toward the front, he is landing with what is the heel to toe transfer in my opinion. I understand we all have different terms for the same meaning and just thought I would mention that. He doesn’t land on the heel with the force, and doesn’t land on the ball, or the toe, or even flat, it is a rolling type of motion from the heel kissing the ground to the rolling of the rest of the foot. By the way this is a less jarring type of landing and usually is the best type of landing for a control pitcher. I try to get every kid i work with to use this landing. I like it alot. I agree with the person who commented that if a player feels balanced and has no problems with a type of delivery, leave him be. I say what type of landing I prefer and what I will coach but this is assuming the player needs to change mechanics due to lack of control or velocity or even arm soreness/ injury. A player who has success and is comfortable I will not touch. I just will not do it because why ruin something that is working?