RHP - 17yo HS Junior

6’4" 215 RHP Junior. T89. Has grown a lot the last 12 months. Put on 60lbs. since May 2019. Looking for any constructive advise on mechanics. Has worked already to improve the foot position and leg kick…See more recent here… https://twitter.com/i/status/1216849562608062464

Thank in advance!

Only thing I might work on directly related to velocity and mechanics would be the front leg. He seems to be opening it the entire stride phase rather than riding that stride closed and only opening the front foot just before foot strike and at the moment of the drive. Think of taking that pin stripe to the catcher the entire stride and staying closed until you can’t. This should then create more dynamic energy transfer. Might be challenging at first as with new size, new body awareness needs to develop.

Ps. Leave the ball in the glove until actual break, but that currently is part of his timing mechanism so don’t harp on it until he is comfortable with everything else

1 Like

Yeah. He has more in him for sure. Big kid. Stride foot is all I see.

1 Like

This pitcher stalls too long over the rubber before moving forward and he never gets the glove arm into a good equal & opposite. Notice how he doesn’t move forward until at or after peak of knee lift. Notice also how his head actually moves back towards 2B just to get into the “lead with the hips” position. If he started his hips forward sooner they could lead without the head going the wrong direction.

He also needs to get his glove arm into a better equal & opposite position relative to the throwing arm (adjust the glove arm - not the throwing arm!). Currently his glove arm is short and a short front side is a quick front side and that results in early shoulder rotation and reduced hip and shoulder separation.

Fix these and he should have better hip & shoulder separation (= more velocity) and real ease the ball closer to home plate.

1 Like

Hi All, It’s been a while since my last post. Very busy lately. Chandler I agree with Roger, Because you lack early momentum, you stall over the rubber never getting the lower half going. Something else I see as well and that is your drive leg foot position on the rubber. When you place half of your foot on the rubber, it causes you to turn your knee in causing early rotation. This is why you stall over the rubber, tilt your upper body back, and only push your hip out at hand break. You do not use ground force correctly to get you driving down the mound.The whole purpose of leading with the hips is to create early momentum in the leg/load phase of the delivery. That momentum is then used to assist a powerful back leg drive, which is then converted to explosive rotational power. Where does this all start, your bottom foot.

Think of it this way, If you put a force plate under your back foot, just in front of the rubber you would want to generate the largest, most sustainable ground reaction force possible under your back leg. When a pitcher uses only their heel, the ball of their foot, or in your case putting pressure on the inside of your foot, you can not generate the ground force necessary to drive properly down the mound. I teach my pitchers to use their entire foot. When you use the mound as you do, it causes internal rotation of the knee (your knee should be in a vertical position) and poor head tilt (your chin should be over your bellybutton). Look at Marcus Stroman at hand break. Notice his bottom foot, vertical knee, sitting into his drive, and head over bellybutton.

LTP%20Chandler%20Marsh Marcus%20Stroman%20at%20Hand%20Break

Steve C

This feedback is so invaluable!!! Thank you for the advise. We have been correcting some of this and will keep working on it and will post followup videos. THANK YOU!

We have been making progress in trying to correct some of these suggestions…still plenty of work to do. 6’4" Junior at 205lbs. Has increased velocity up to 92. Any additional insight would be great.
Thank you in advance!