RHP 12 yr arm pain

So just today I was pitching into my net outside. I had not pitched in a few days. I warmed up for like 5-10 minutes and then started actually pitching. The first 5 or so felt fine. Then the inside part of my elbow started to hurt. I am 12 years old but I am bigger then most 12 year olds I know 5 foot 4, 120 lbs. I throw four seam slider changeup and cutter. The only pitch that I rotate my arm is slider. I had started wondering a few days before if the slider was bad for my arm. So I only threw 2 today. But for some reason any pitch would really hurt my arm, and I went inside after like 20 pitches and it hurt really bad for like 20 minutes. After that it hasn’t really hurt. What is going on does anybody know? I’m really starting to wonder now if my slider is bad. Like I said though, every other pitch hurt too. Should I just rest awhile or do you think something is serious wrong. My dad said I should rest. Pls help it is really frustrating as this happened a few days ago (5 to be exact) too.

Leading up to this how often and frequent do you pitch, since what age, year round, back to back days etc? The fact you are throwing 4 pitches at 12 years old is ludicrous. Stick with fastball/change up and learn to locate pitches. My nephew is now 13 and just got Tommy John surgery. He was pitching 1-2 LL games a week and catching the off days. His LL coach was his Travel coach and pitching him 3 innings on Saturdays and 5-6 on Sundays. So 30-70 pitches on Saturday and another 80-120 on Sundays. He even pitched occasionally on a Pony team as a fill in player. He was unhittable and threw a slider 75% of the time from a developed submarine style. He also did irreversible damage to a growth plate and will have a limb 3-4” shorter than the other. Go see a Sports Doctor.

Thx but u did not really answer my question. And I do not pitch nearly as much as your nephew, nor throw 75 percent sliders which is insane. I throw like 15-20 pitches a day it was just about a month ago I started this and I haven’t followed it entirely (missing a day or two) i have pitched in games since I was nine but was never really focused like I am now. I will cut back on slider and cutter usage or should I cut them out entirely? And also what do you think happened to my elbow tho? I think I know (my arm was going too high and I was leading with my elbow like a foot over my head) also I can almost always hit my spots with a fastball, and have enough command to keep the changeup down so I guessing I should focus more on that? Thx for the insight.

5-10 minutes is not nearly enough, and what kind of warm ups? You say you throw 15-20 pitches a day, that is way too much, especially if they are at max effort. As to what “Gasser” said, he’s spot on - work on locating, never can be too good. He’s warning you to take signs like this seriously. You shouldn’t be throwing a slider at this age - the others are ok as they are just fastball variations. rest and ice (20-30 minutes max at a time). Mechanics can play a big part in any pitchers arm problems but especially adolescents (early trunk rotation, etc - Can’t speak to yours, even with your description). Ease back into it. Just work on locating your pitches (minus slider). At this age, start working on core and legs (resistance or LIGHT weights). If it hurts into your next session, shut it down and get checked out! Hope this helps.

[My background is: Pitched through college, worked in MLB for almost 2 decades and have been a pitching coach for JH and HS (cause I love it)]

Lorenzo47,

A couple of hr’s ago I answered your questions about lateral movement in a different thread because the info you were given had some problems. In that answer I gave you information on how your mechanics are destroying your Elbow. Read over it and absorb the information. If you wish to talk further about why your Elbow feels the way it does, feel free to ask.

“Then the inside part of my elbow started to hurt.”

This is the medial aspect of your Elbow where all your forearm flexor (4 muscles that flex your fingers, , wrist and forearm) muscle tendons lye over the UCL. These tendons are barking at you and the associated inflammation. The UCL has no pain receptors. That was some low pitch counts there, maybe low pitch counts cause joint injuries?

“ I am 12 years old but I am bigger then most 12 year olds I know 5 foot 4, 120 lbs.”

This means nothing when discussing a ballistic activity like pitching!

“I throw four seam slider changeup and cutter.”

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Well that was a great diagnosis for cause if that was your intention because it is!!!

These 4 traditional pitch types are driven with forearm intuitive supination that will eventually cause over 10 major injuries to the Elbow/forearm joint.

“The only pitch that I rotate my arm is slider. “

Unfortunately this is false! Your arm rotates with every pitch type. The problem is do these parts rotate in the same direction?

With you and others who perform traditionally have your forearm driving in supination outwardly while simultaneously trying to drive your Humerus inwards. This is one of the glaring breaks in that Kinetic chain.

“I had started wondering a few days before if the slider was bad for my arm.”

It’s not the pitch! A pronated Slider like Steve Carlton threw is safe and sane to learn and throw.

A forearm supinated Slider is one of the worst on your Elbow now add in the supinated cutter, OUCH!!!

“ But for some reason any pitch would really hurt my arm, and I went inside after like 20 pitches and it hurt really bad for like 20 minutes.”

May I remind you any one of your forearm supinated pitch types will degrade your Elbow with each rep.!

“ After that it hasn’t really hurt. “

I wish us old guy’s dissipated inflammation that fast

“What is going on does anybody know?”

Yes and exactly what’s going on. You need to absorb the Anti-pathomechanical info at DrMikeMarshall.com it’s free and it is the only place that has eliminated all these injuries. From what I’ve witnessed he is the only one who has it right and from the get go original discovery.

“I’m really starting to wonder now if my slider is bad. Like I said though, every other pitch hurt too. “

Like I said, you are 100% supinated. You need to be 100% pronated.

“Should I just rest awhile or do you think something is serious wrong.”

There is something seriously wrong and rest will only fix the past, not the present or future.

“ My dad said I should rest.”

If the pain persists without throwing, you need to see a Dr., and receive your Dr’s release before you actually try to fix the problem.

“Pls help it is really frustrating as this happened a few days ago (5 to be exact) too.”

You got plenty of time and that is what it’s going to take to make the skill improvements to pitch into the future, right now every growth plate in your Elbow is in hyper production before it closes at 16 BYO. The less the adrenaline assisted competitions the better.

The same amount of time you used to produce unhealthy mechanics should now be used to produce healthy ones?

I knew a kid like your nephew. Little League from January through May. Little League All Stars from June through July/August. Travel Ball from September through early December. Curve balls. Tommy John Surgery at 13. Revision Tommy John Surgery in High School. Don’t pitch no more.

I agree with Jstharp. 5 -10 minutes is not enough time to properly warm up the body to start pitching. A proper pre-throwing program should take 20-25 minutes before you pick up a ball. Take a look at this article by Rockland Peak Performance. They have a good Pre- and Post-Throwing Arm Care Routine before you get started pitching a baseball. Pitching Routine

Hi Lorenzo,

Suggest listening to your body…pain is a sign something is wrong. Also take the advice you receive to heart…it’s much easier to be overprotective with your arm then have to recover from injury.

My son felt elbow pain 2 years ago at 11…at the end of his season. The following year we visited ortho sports med physician, did rehab for 4 months and he slow worked from only playing 1st base, to some outfield to pitching 2 innings by end of year. His diagnosis was tendonitis. He was primarily fast ball pitcher with occasional change up.

Nowadays…when he does his core workout daily he also does arm care (5 mins of arm stretches and strength exercises).

When speaking with his pitching coach recently I asked about throwing in the backyard. He said throwing 10-20 pitches from a level surface 2-3 times a week inbetween tournaments is ok. Throwing off a mound combined with the adrenaline of a game is where pitch count matters. With that said, in his opinion he’d like to see kids up to high school only pitch in games once per weekend. Not 20 pitches friday, 30 pitches sat and 30 pitches sunday.

Just some info to think about.

Hope your arm feels better, take care of it and enjoy the game.

Here are some exercises to build strength to be combined with j-band exercises.

i would suggest using j bands. I used to have pain EVERY time i threw, to the point where I almost passed while pitching, multiple times. The last couple months, every time before I throw I go through my routine and have had no arm pain. They are only like 40 bucks and are worth every penny. They also come with the exercises you should do and how many repetitions, too.

I strongly suggest no sliders. Under no circumstances should any1 before college throw a slider. That is your problem. Period. You must also stretch properly and long toss to 100 percent of what your capable before you get on the mound.