Reverse forearm bounce

Could somebody please explain reverse forearm bounce? I read Marshalls explanation on his website and am really confused about what it means.

It’s external rotation of the arm.

Correct.

It’s also a normal by-product of throwing hard.

Even Marshall’s guys’ forearms bounce/externally rotate.

His claims about this are bogus.

Oh so like this?

If this is true then I understand it I thought it was something about you tried to rotate

[quote=“Priceless”]Oh so like this?

If this is true then I understand it I thought it was something about you tried to rotate[/quote]

Wagner’s arm bounces more than most due to his Inverted V arm action, but EVERYONE’s arm bounces.

That’s not technically true. Dr. Marshall had a few students who exhibited no reverse forearm bounce in their delivery. Ideally the arm will lay back and there will be no “looping” in the delivery that causes the bounce. Patrick Howe was one of the students who could do this successfully.

However, it was theorized that this mechanic led to injury to the anterior structure of the shoulder. Take it for what it’s worth.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“Priceless”]Oh so like this?

If this is true then I understand it I thought it was something about you tried to rotate[/quote]

Wagner’s arm bounces more than most due to his Inverted V arm action, but EVERYONE’s arm bounces.[/quote]

this is bs.

[quote=“kyleb”]That’s not technically true. Dr. Marshall had a few students who exhibited no reverse forearm bounce in their delivery. Ideally the arm will lay back and there will be no “looping” in the delivery that causes the bounce. Patrick Howe was one of the students who could do this successfully.

However, it was theorized that this mechanic led to injury to the anterior structure of the shoulder. Take it for what it’s worth.[/quote]

So they had no forearm bounce. They threw what… 60? Marshall doesn’t know what hes talking about. His student success rate shows that.

[quote=“yanksneeddice-K”][quote=“kyleb”]That’s not technically true. Dr. Marshall had a few students who exhibited no reverse forearm bounce in their delivery. Ideally the arm will lay back and there will be no “looping” in the delivery that causes the bounce. Patrick Howe was one of the students who could do this successfully.

However, it was theorized that this mechanic led to injury to the anterior structure of the shoulder. Take it for what it’s worth.[/quote]

So they had no forearm bounce. They threw what… 60? Marshall doesn’t know what hes talking about. His student success rate shows that.[/quote]

Not true. Many threw over 80.

And student success rate has a lot to do with genetics than you’re admitting.

[quote]Not true. Many threw over 80.

And student success rate has a lot to do with genetics than you’re admitting.[/quote]

I honestly can’t believe there are pitchers throwing 80+ with no external rotation.

What is the chance of every pitcher without the genetic potential to throw 90 following one program? The odds are so far against what your saying that its not even funny.

i would really love to see a video of a pitcher throwing 80 without external rotation. just about impossible.

[quote=“yanksneeddice-K”][quote]Not true. Many threw over 80.

And student success rate has a lot to do with genetics than you’re admitting.[/quote]

I honestly can’t believe there are pitchers throwing 80+ with no external rotation.

What is the chance of every pitcher without the genetic potential to throw 90 following one program? The odds are so far against what your saying that its not even funny.[/quote]

Did I say they were throwing without external rotation? I did not. I said they threw without reverse forearm bounce.

I’m not an avid Marshall defender (for about the tenth time on this board), but many of you are bashing Dr. Marshall without reading his material or going to the source.

[quote=“kyleb”][quote=“yanksneeddice-K”][quote]Not true. Many threw over 80.

What is the chance of every pitcher without the genetic potential to throw 90 following one program? The odds are so far against what your saying that its not even funny.[/quote]

Did I say they were throwing without external rotation? I did not. I said they threw without reverse forearm bounce.

I’m not an avid Marshall defender (for about the tenth time on this board), but many of you are bashing Dr. Marshall without reading his material or going to the source.[/quote]

I think Marshall means reverse forearm bounce is when your arm rapidly gets into the high cocked position, not external rotation. I’m pretty sure those are separate terms for separate things. But saying 90+ is “genetics” is very questionable. I’d like to know what part of throwing 90+ you think is genetics. I think it is clear that throwing 90 mph is a result of the momentum, timing, and speed of your movements. Thus why a 2005 280 lbs 6-3 Bobby Jenks and a 2006 210 lbs 6-1 Joel Zumaya were both able to reach 100+ mph consistently (two different types of athletes/body types). I and many other people have serious questions about Marshall’s delivery on why his pitchers can’t reach decent velocities. If we just had real bio-mechanical scientists doing real in-depth analysis instead of a bunch of these ex-ballplayer-psuedo-scientists running their dummy experiments to sell a product I think these questions would be answered much faster. But then I guess there would be a billion Nolan Ryans and the game would be no fun. And when I say real, I’m not talking about some guy who got his phd on some online school or something. I mean like Ivy League, graduated Summa Cum Laude, dedicated, knowledgeable, humble, open-minded, normal friggin real genius scientist.[/i]

I like the part about the “normal friggin real genius”, haha, I wish we could talk more of them into dedicating their time and resources into looking at the biomechanics of pitching

:lol:

Two questions. Does wagner produce such a crazy forearm bounce because he is of shorter frame? From all the replies the consensus is that this naturally comes from throwing 80+?