Respect for players on steroids

I was going to let this thread just run its course without a comment because I can recall a few other times hashing this out and not really coming to a concensus. But, I was considering the average young age of participants in these forums and thought well, I should throw something out.

Back in 1998 I worked the interstates full time in uniform and my friends and I would often stop professional athletes for speeding. Buffalo Bills, Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Tigers minor leaguers, Cleveland Indians all travelled my way. I made a stop one night and for whatever reason ended up searching the trunk of an athletes car where he kept a steroid kit, hypodermic needles and bottles of fluid with his favorite concoction. This guy was huge and apparently loading up on roids. He was a worried soul throughout the entire stop. At the time we were really only interested in large quantities of cocaine, heroin or marijuana and the guy was cut loose with just a warning. I don’t think I’d have known what law he was in violation of at the time anyway.

If you consider the steroid era as being 1998-2002 then you’d have to say I didn’t just luck into finding that stuff. It was very prevalent and I think you’d also have to agree that all people (those even who should have known better were really naive about steroids.)

Later when I became a full time detective I learned about the terrible tragedies that affected families of young men (some very well known athletes in my area) who abused substances. I’m talking legal prescriptions like hydrocodone, adderal, vicodin, demerol, oxycodone, percoset, fentanyl and even morphine. These are young men who died of accidental overdoses, intentional overdoses and suicide. Getting to the point…you see when you can justify the use of any substance for whatever purpose and it is not managed by a competent health care provider or doctor, then you are traveling a slippery dangerous slope toward damaging your own body.

My son is only a freshman and the NCAA has made him pee in a bottle twice already. They are getting serious about this and so the best time is now to get used to staying away from substances that could get you kicked off the team.

The truth is, that your body is your temple so to speak and you ought to be extremely careful what you ingest and inject into it. Those who deal in steroids or any illegal or unauthorized substance by their very nature are taking a risk not worth taking. That’s really the way I see it because when you are dead in the morgue and they are cutting open your skull with a stryker saw, then its way too late to change your mind. :idea:

true stuff my man, my old pitching coach used 2 say the same exact thing[/quote]

Wow, I feel bad for you guys if this is what your pitching coaches are telling you. ha, that’s a crying shame.

I’m honestly shocked with some of the opinions in this thread on this issue. Speaking as a minor leaguer who played during the steroid era and have seen it first hand, I think I can shed some light on this topic. One, it’s no guarantee that just because the player is willing to use steroids he’s also working harder than most. This is completely false. Alot of players try steroids as a shortcut. Most of you don’t understand how cut throat a business baseball is at the minor league level. About 40 new players are signed out of the june draft every year. That means a team and a half in the minors is cut every year! Not to mention all the free agents signed every year, and the trickle down effect from the big leagues. This can put an enormous amont of pressure on an athlete. I’ve seen several people take them on a “last resort” basis. When you get to this level, you take a look around. EVERYBODY CAN PLAY. There aren’t any scrubs anymore! This isn’t high school baseball or college baseball. Everybody is 88-93.

One other thing that I’d like to add is the integrity of the game of baseball. Guys like Bonds, and McGwire, Sosa etc., put themselves above the integrity of the game, and they are paying the price, and deservingly so.

I was hoping you’d chime in Hammer, You more than most with the exception of possibly Steven have been harmed by it.
My point is that it (For pitching) can never replace talent…you either have that or you don’t…guys who get to the JUCO or higher level have to face that gap and face the fact that they may need to line up another profession in life. The message is that hey…these guys used it and it “made” them better…why the heck not…it’s another of the “big Lie’s” out there, that we’ve taught our kids…

I wasn’t justifying steroid use in my previous post. I obviously never used them. But I think the point is that there’s a line we all must establish and draw in our life. Guys like Sosa and Clemens drew their line so far out, that steroids fell within it. Hammer and I drew our lines so that steroids were well outside of it.

It’s not up to me where to tell you where to draw your own line – in baseball, in life – but I do hope that you’ll at least consider all the information that’s available before you draw your line, so that you know exactly what you’re bargaining for.

Ive talked to a few of my friends and teammates who are now playing professional baseball at some level, be it minor league or independent - about steroids.

I’d say a great majority of them have said to me that the use of steroids for their teammates is to make it through the longer season. I believe the quote is “He said he felt like it was spring training and we were 70 games into the season. While other guys velocity was dropping into the low 80’s his stayed up their at 88-90” (referring to a teammate of his using Winstrol.

Then the smaller portion told me that they see pitchers using various steroids in order to put on MPH.

Its such a tough topic to tackle. On one hand all i view steroids as is a better quality form of protein. When you take protein after you lift your muscles recover faster allowing you to lift harder and longer. If you take enough protein you can pretty much bypass soreness or pain or too much breaking down of muscle tissue. The same goes for gratuitous amounts of FISH OIL.

When you take a steroid, be it cream, pill or injection - You’re allowing yourself to lift longer, harder stronger more often. Its still you doing the work. There is no shortcut.

IF YOU TAKE STEROIDS AND DONT WORK HARD YOU GET FAT. You will get bloated and look watered down. You could press on the persons skin and leave a finger print.

In some sense i believe taking steroids to quicken the recovery of an injury should be allowed. You’re not helping anyone out by being on the IR or DL. Steroids are proven to make people recover from injuries faster. Why not let someone take the steroid until they are better.

Further more I don’t see the problem with HGH. Your DNA has a ceiling for your height and most people don’t end up reaching it. Why not allow someone to push themselves further into their potential.

All this being said - I have been drug tested every year for 4 years at my school. The NCAA has a zero tolerance policy. I have never lost a year of eligibility due to a supplement.

No matter what baseball players say they use anabolic steroids for, their use is well known medically for the rapid ability to create muscle mass, among other effects. If you guys want a primer I’ll be glad to go into all of the gory scientific detail, but look–lots of ballplayers who broke records while using steroids have a deeply vested interest in “smoothing” this story to suggest, as per Mark McGwire, that steroids did not enhance his performance…i.e., did not make him stronger. Horse puckey.

HGH is not an anabolic steroid, but it is a potent growth hormone…that is, it stimulates tissue growth (which, of course, is what healing is all about…regrowth of damaged tissue.) But, despite what ballplayers may think or say, tissue growth stimulation by HGH can be exploited by uninjured players.

By the way, I’m not familiar with normal doctors prescribing HGH to patients with tissue injury…sounds like total off-label cheating to me.

i know two prospects(both pitchers), one age is 21 he’s dominating in the ACC and the other 23 yr old was a very late round draft pick to the Brewers. Let me tell you further about these two men, who are acquaintances.

The young man dominating the ACC as a setup man/closer is 6’5 and throws 93-96. Blessed with a “golden arm”, his first year of little league -age 11- he was throwing 68 mph. He went to one perfect game showcase, threw 90 and had about 12 schools on his tail. Academically “qualified” schools such as Villanova and duke were making him offers regardless of his 2.9(4.0 scale) GPA.

Out of his school the LHP was throwing 81-85. Like many freshmen in college, his first yr wasn’t good on the mound- 6.6 ERA - ration of walks to wiffs was 1:1. After his frosh yr, he and his family couldn’t afford the $6,000 in tuition he was ordered to pay, so decided to head down south to community college. After 4 years at different commun. colleges, he was drafted in the 45th round basically $$nothing.

He is a 5’11 LHP throwing 86-89 that has busted his ass in the weight room and has admitted freely of his steroid use. He compares himself - at 5’11 without as much natural talent- to the 6’5 throwing low to mid 90’s via go given talent, and says steroids even the playing field. It’s hard to debate that.

steven, do you think they were the hardest workingbecause of the big testosterone boost?