Respect and Other Issues--

Respect and related issues

For most of you who will be starting your JV, varsity, FROSH or other competitive program, you may notice some new faces on the coaching staff. The degree of “chemistry” between you and this staff my be good – then on the other hand things may not be so good. Personalities will play a big role in what’s basically a “people to people experience.

Now I know I’m not going to be telling anyone something new here – BUT, a coach, regardless of how they come across with their instruction and know-how deserves respect, first and foremost. For instance:
 Your first impression about a coach can be really off base – I mean really bad.
 Don’t get caught up in joining the crowd that likes to make fun of a coach or mock him/her.
 Your environment is nowhere near as complex and volatile as the coach’s world.
 College students can be called upon to fill-in, and you’ll find it’s a very small world when you meet these people a few years later. Be reasonable.
 More then likely you’re going to find the coaching population getting older. These coaches have tons of “real world” experience. Listen to their game knowledge – not just pitching, hitting, base running and so on.
 An older coach will have a bunch of contacts that have developed over the years. Knowing that you’ve shown him/her respect, only encourages a good reference further down the line. No coach in their right mind is going to pass on a trouble maker to another program.
 A coach may be substituting for another specialty … say a staff assistant assuming the role of a pitching coach. Give the coach a break and work with him – don’t blame a poor appearance in that direction. Doing that shows no character.
 Don’t quote Ghost Coaches. When you’re listening to instruction – don’t whip out…” Ahhh coach, … Mr. Dilley-Dally said for us to do it this way,” … or a common remark that I’ve heard was…“ I read somewhere that that’s not right.”.

Best wishes this year with all of the programs that you’ll be competing with.

Coach B.

Extremely sound and practical advice, Coach Baker!

[quote=“Coach Baker”]
 An older coach will have a bunch of contacts that have developed over the years. Knowing that you’ve shown him/her respect, only encourages a good reference further down the line. No coach in their right mind is going to pass on a trouble maker to another program.

Coach B.[/quote]

So true.

That’s right. It’s better to know your stuff because Mr. Dilley-Dally isn’t going to be with you to help you the rest of your life.

very very good advice. Many of us have had not so good experiences with high school/college coaches. I actually had a couple experiences when I was younger. I had a coach that had been coaching for over 40 years when I was a freshman in high school. My sophomore year I was brought up to play varsity but was brought down for an apparent reason that never took place. Many high school coaches have a lot to do with your college recruitment process that you cannot always control. I just learned that you need to keep on proving yourself and eventually you will be where you deserve to be