Research against distance running and static stretching

I think your absolutely right with your statements cf.

I’m suggesting running distance once every five days just like Mr. Ellis did.

I agree you want your body to be explosive, and not “slowed” down.

[quote=“Hammer”]I think your absolutely right with your statements cf.

I’m suggesting running distance once every five days just like Mr. Ellis did.

I agree you want your body to be explosive, and not “slowed” down.[/quote]

Ah, on this I can agree. I did misinterpret when you said you need to flush the system.

I guess I have developed a biased when I hear distance running, as to everyone around me it seems to mean running 3 miles several times weekly. I don’t understand that.

The blood circulation in terms of recovery sounds good. Although I think a case could be made that you don’t need all that much total running time to get improved circulation and recovery.

I don’t mean to “throw the baby out with the bath water,” but all that I see, the distance running to sprints ratio is almost always significantly more distance.

Sprinting more than distance sounds appropriate.

[quote=“Hammer”]

I’ll say it again, I’ve never seen a pitcher at a high level NOT run distance the day after a start. Not if you want to be able to lift your arm in september.[/quote]

Who cares what a pitcher does at a professional level. Look to them for guidance, that is it.

Easy barber, I’m just saying it’s not a bad idea to get a flush run the day after a start. That’s all meng!

[quote=“lbarber4”][quote=“Hammer”]

I’ll say it again, I’ve never seen a pitcher at a high level NOT run distance the day after a start. Not if you want to be able to lift your arm in september.[/quote]

Who cares what a pitcher does at a professional level. Look to them for guidance, that is it.[/quote]

You know where I can get some roids?

haha, what do you need? Just kidding… Here’s a hint, go to Venezuela or the Dominican and you can get them over the counter.

[quote=“Spencer”][quote=“lbarber4”][quote=“Hammer”]

Who cares what a pitcher does at a professional level. Look to them for guidance, that is it.[/quote]

You know where I can get some roids?[/quote]

Greece… :roll: (serious)…

[quote=“lbarber4”]

Greece… :roll: (serious)…[/quote]

Dude, I’m going to mexico next week. Family vacation :roll:

[quote=“Spencer”][quote=“lbarber4”]

Greece… :roll: (serious)…[/quote]

Dude, I’m going to mexico next week. Family vacation :roll:[/quote]

have fun… :slight_smile:

I completely completely agree with the 4 to 1 philosophy. I agree that distance running helps the day after you throw, and/or the day after your workout even. I don’t know if its scientific or not, I don’t even care if people agree with me (even though apparently its accepted by most) I’m just saying that it works for me. However I also completely agree that distance running would have a minimal to no affect on pitching performance (in my opinion). I’m not basing this on science once again, just on my experience. A pitch take like 2 seconds max of an all out effort, I would say, each throw. So it would just make sense to try to duplicate the action the best way you could while training, and I believe sprinting would be the way to go. Sprinting I would think would also be helpful with teaching your muscles to work more explosively and together which couldn’t hurt. Anyway 4 to 1 makes sense to me.

The only thing that stops me personally from not trying to increase my distance running, is coaching. I’m in college right now and if come the fall or spring I showed up and couldn’t complete my poles or my distance runs efficiently, my coach would look at me and say what the hell have you been doing the whole time? Than again I can completely refuse to do what the coach tells me to do and what the rest of the team’s doing, and my coach would probably tell me to go pack up my locker and I’d also look like a prick to the rest of the team, while they’re all doing their running together, here I am off doing my own thing. It’s almost a catch 22.

So even though I completely agree with sprint work being most beneficial and that it should be the key component of any pitchers running program, I won’t be able to totally benefit from this knowledge until the day that coaches, or atleast my coach, learns it as well. I’m also sure I’m not the only person in this boat, unfortunately.

Therefore I will continue doing my distance runs and increasing my endurance. All the while adding in sprint work as a sub component. This will not be optimally beneficial for my performance but it will appease ignorant coaches who should perhaps spend a little less time running and a little more time on letstalkpitching.com!

Truth is, most high school kids are underdeveloped and most have not been on good workout programs in their life. For this reason, you could do almost anything with these kids and see gains. You could probably do just bench press, or just distance running, or weight lifting with machines (obviously not strong workout programs), and you could see some improvement in the majority of the team.

Very good point,

Jim Wendler, a big time powerlifter and former D1 Strength Coach has said, that any program works for 6-8 weeks.