Rep recommendations

I’m making a workout and I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for reps for each exercise. I’ll include my goals with that exercise with each one.

SQUAT- get faster, jump higher, just overall leg strength
BENCH PRESS - add mass to chest, more powerful
HANG CLEAN- same as squat
DEADLIFT - same as squat

thanks!!

[quote=“redwingpitcher”]I’m making a workout and I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for reps for each exercise. I’ll include my goals with that exercise with each one.

DEADLIFT - same as squat

thanks!![/quote]

Squatting = Awesome, assuming correct technique, and strict lifting form. Remember its always more effective, and much safer to do less weight with strict form than it is to do more weight with sloppy form. I was always a big proponent of slow reps, down to a four count, up to a two count.

Deadlifting = Awesome, same assumptions.

Cleans = Never did them, so no opinion.

Bench Press = As a mass builder, i always preferred flat and incline dumbell presses. Flat barbell bench pressing to me is an over rated exercise. Your range of motion is limited, and the temptation to cheat, or do them incorrectly, is very great. People worry more about how much weight they are lifting, and not enough about how the muscle feels as it lifts. And getting that stretch at the bottom of the lift is just as important, IMO, as the lift itself.

EDIT: I should mention that when i was weightlifting, i was doing it as a hobby, and as a training partner for an amateur bodybuilder. I wasnt training for anything like baseball. So take everything i say with that grain of salt.

[quote=“redwingpitcher”]I’m making a workout and I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for reps for each exercise. I’ll include my goals with that exercise with each one.

DEADLIFT - same as squat

thanks!![/quote]

Sets x Reps

Monday:
-Squat 3x5
-Bench Press 3x5
-Hang Clean (I would learn the power clean if possible) 5x3

Wednesday:
-Squat 3x5
-Standing Overhead Press 3x5
-Deadlift 1x5

Friday:
-Squat 3x5
-Bench Press 3x5
-Hang Clean 5x3

Next week:

Monday:
-Squat 3x5
-Standing OH Press 3x5
-Deadlift 1x5

Wednesday:
-Squat 3x5
-Bench Press 3x5
-Clean 5x3

Friday:
-Squat 3x5
-Standing OH Press 3x5
-Deadlift 1x5

Repeat until you can no longer recover from the deadlift, then swap them out for back extensions.

Be sure to balance your bench press with an overhead standing press of sorts. Perhaps a DB neutral grip overhead press.

Thanks very much kyleb. But just one question, why do you have me squatting every day? will that cause me to overtrain?

Nope. You will be fine. Squats can be done three times a week with a day off in between them without much problem. They are the single best lift most athletes can do - especially baseball players, since the back squat works the legs, hips, and back all in one motion.

I am assuming you are doing back squats. If you are doing front squats, you should probably do 5 sets of 3 reps instead.

okay. and yes i am doing back squats. Thanks a lot! I will use this in the future!

No problem. You are on the right path for sure. Good luck!