Releasepoint

Hi,

Recently i have been really struggling with my releasepoint. I’v been told by multiple coaches/catchers I release the ball to early. Are there any good excercices how to work on this? Or is it all mental?

Why do you think those coaches made that comment? Do you think they’re referring to the timing of your release point or the location?

In general, release point is a result of things earlier in the delivery. As such, it is not a teach. But it can be used as an indicator. If something is off, look for a cause earlier in the delivery and fix that.

What’s your age? My 16 year old has a couple of issues pitching coach has been helping him solve for a while. One is releasing the ball closer to the plate. Recently went to a camp and feedback provided included needing to release the ball further out (same as pitching coach tells him). Was told he’d increase his velocity 3-4 mph & get late tail & sink on his pitches. The only thing he’s told to work on this issue is just to release further out. Some others on this site can give much better advice. Other issue noted on my son was flying open; has anyone noted issue with you? This one has been trickier.

Hi,
My age is 21.
The problem is the location. I need to release it more ‘out in front’.
And as you said pitcher17, if your son would release the ball more in front his pitches would get tail & sink. My fastball is really flat. So this might also be a indication that I need to release the ball closer towards the plate.
And thats the only advice i got, but somehow i keep forgetting this.

the flying open issue is something is something i have/had as well, but there has been improvement here.

Alex, Do you work with a pitching coach? My sons adjusting easier to releasing the ball further out front than staying closed. Pitching coach stays on him about the release & he’s making pretty quick improvements in that area. What do you believe helped you the most to avoid flying open?

Early shoulder rotation/flying open is one of the issues that pulls the release point back. Stay closed longer and that should help the release point happen further out front. The reason is your body continues to track forward while you’re staying closed.

Releasepoint is one thing I never had a problem with. I was a true, natural, honest-to-gosh sidearmer from the beginning, and I was sixteen when I learned to throw a good slider. While I was familiarizing myself with the pitch, Eddie Lopat was watching me and making some mental notes, and he noted that my release point was consistent and that I was following through and completing my pitches. In fact, he didn’t have to tell me very much as far as mechanics were concerned, just make a suggestion here and there, and I picked up on that. There’s something to be said for the sidearm delivery! :slight_smile:

Roger has outlined a few good things here worth looking at, a little closer. In his earlier posting, he focused on possible multiple issues that could be passing along problems for you.

On the other hand, that/those coaches that remarked about your release point, should be addressing your “pitching cycle” in total. Why? Because each phase of your pitch cycle contributes to – or not – the next phase in your pitching composition. Your relases is really a phase of continuance, not just one point or action in time.

Go back and ask this/these coaches how to correct the issues that you’re having, instead of drawing their attention, then leaving you to figure things out for yourself.

This media, as usefull as it is, has tremendous limitations when addressing your question(s). Even when posting video of yourself. In real time, being “there” right with you, step by step, is the only way to truly adderss a correct course of action that wlll benefit you in the long run.

So, if a coach tells you sometihng is not what it should be – STOP, ask him to explain in detail, even show you in real time what’s what, then work with him to get it right.

Alex56, I have a question for you.

Prior to this release point thing, did you hurt yourself, sustain an injury - regardless how small, or have you recovered from a prolonged illness?

I’m not trying to be personal here, I’m considering other things that may be overlooked.

Great point.

Without seeing it for myself, it’s difficult to establish root cause. Roger brings up a very common flaw that may be your problem. Also, take a look at trunk flexion as you may be standing too upright through release. There could also be an issue with your lead knee being to bent not allowing you to get over your lower half. Take a look at your delivery and one of these or a combination may be your issue.

One thing is certain, the slowest way to fix a release point issue is to focus on the arm.

First of all my apologies for responding so late when you are trying to help me!

@coach baker, last offseason I suffered a sprained wrist, but i think the problem has been present longer, but I didnt really have any coaching the three years before that.

I will focus on my pitching chain. Staying closed longer and especially focus at my trunk flexion since I know i am to upright through my release

Thank you for all the help! I will let you guys know how it goes ( I haven’t pitched in a while now because of the winter hollidays)

This was me 28-11
http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/WHGoxHgw?e=1227022#

Only one pitch so might be hard to tell anything from it, but any suggestions are welcome

The biggest thing I don’t like about that drill is that forward momentum in the delivery is not generated solely after leg lift. Having balance at the top of the lift is no more important than having balance during or after the lift. A drill like this has no greater benefit than a drill that has you repeat your leg lift over and over. Spending focused time on a moment in the delivery that is no more important than any other moment in the delivery seems like a waste of time.

Consider this point as well…Once stopped at the top of the lift, an artificial initiation of forward movement must be inserted by the pitcher to get going forward–again, this is nothing like the real thing. You are spending time reinforcing a non-mechanic.

If you combine the lift and drive into one fluid, balanced, powerful move, it creates more momentum and power and is a better gauge of your dynamic balance.

Balance is not a point or a series of static points in the delivery. Achieving balance is about getting from first movement through release being 100% in functional control of what is going on and not creating energy leaks along the way.

A couple of things based on the video. First that front leg needs to get a lot higher. I hope your doing that on the mound.

Your hands need to move with your leg as if they are tied to each other. Raise you leg. Raise your hands. Drop your leg. Drop your hands.

You hand break is too high. It needs to be more down towards your belly button and belt. Not up at your chest. Do NOT throw your thumbs down when you break your hands. Think take your elbows out and up when you break your hands. This will put your arm into a better position when you raise your ball hand. Do not let the elbows get above the shoulders. EVER!

Think your going to hit your catcher in the chest with the ball. Make this one smooth motion and make sure your stepping directly to the target.

Good luck.

Dana Maggs - Excel Hitting and Pitching AKA Ifubuildit.