Regarding Pitches

Hey, @Steven_Ellis I received a pitching tip email from you saying "No matter what age, when a curveball is thrown right, it places less stress on the arm.

But a curve thrown correctly still needs to be limited in terms of the # thrown (no more than 20-25% of total pitch count; offspeed should account for another 20-25%).

And throwing a curve shouldn’t get in the way of developing a good offspeed pitch.

When I ask a pitcher what his 2nd best pitch is, I want to hear, “My changeup!” The problem is that my Curveball is really good and is my second best pitch and I want to throw it a lot, and my changeup is horrible. Your thoughts?

You need to work on your CU more.

I’ll try lol. I have no idea why its so bad, it just flattens out. Thoughts on how I could make it better?

A change up can be one of the hardest pitches,to say loosely “master”. There are so many ways to grip the ball, example, a circle change a flat change, a basic palm ball… you get my point. Most grips will depend on arm slot.
A lot of the time though I’ve seen kids mess up with the change up because they slow their arm action rather than trust their grip. They are trying to take too much off the volosity. A change up will/should only drop in speed of about 5/10 mph.
Find a grip that works with your arm slot and keep working at it. My son throws his with a half circle and pressure on the last two pinky fingers. But he also pronates his wrist.
Hope this helps

Practice throwing the CU when you warm up. Experiment with grips until you find one that works. My cue is to aim with my ring finger

Very interesting cue. Going to add that to my list of things to try!

Age, maturity, physical condition and endurance and some of the flesh-n-bones stuff that are groomed with any pitch … but the change is something that really requires a “thinking style” to it.

The thinking style:
The word “change” alludes to comparing this pitch to something and in deliberate manner. The change is usually very effective FOLLOWING a pitch. This pitch is even more effective delivered quickly and to a location that the batter has a real problem with.
The change can also be delivered as a setup pitch but never as the first pitch. Why? Changes on the first pitch have to deal with a batter who is fresh in the box, and with a clear mindset. Seeing a pitch that’s not the usual bullet or breaker, is just too good to lay off of. But then, batter by batter, and the tempo of the game that the pitcher is having can override my suggestion. I’ve seen pitchers deliver an OFF SPEED for a first pitch - but slightly out of the strike zone, then follow up with a blistering FB for a very effective … “deal with it…” look. Very effective mental-game maneuver.

From a pitching tip email-

Coach Steven Ellis here with another baseball pitching tip…

Long toss is a great way for pitchers to work on their changeups.

At various distances, I threw 1 changeup for every 3 fastballs.

By long tossing with a changeup grip, you are training to have fastball arm speed, which is essential for fooling batters.

I started off gripping the ball with a circle change until I could control it. Then I played with the finger placement and pressure points to refine the pitch.

Thank you everyone!