Reducing Arm Soreness

Besides running, icey-hot cream, icing my arm after an outing, is there anything that could be used or done to reduce soreness or pain in the elbow area?

iboprofin or a pill like it

improve your mechanics

light weight lifting

I personally have found 100’s of pitchers with IDEAL mechanics to experience soreness.
I would try placing controlled stress on the area that are sore. Be aggressive with the soreness. Ideally, you want to create an environment that the arm is prepared for the activity. I would suggest:

1. Rice buckets
  2. Forearm exercises
  3. Weighted ball flips/throws, etc
  4. Make up something!!!

It doesn’t matter, really. Just try and place controlled stress, meaning you control the stress and make the day you pitch seem less intense versus it being the other way around.

Be VERY, VERY CAREFUL, and my horrific example:
is a 90-2 mph Sr. losing his season to stomach surgery…this kid was my sons constant opponent for his Jr. High and HS career…a big boy with a live arm, travel teamer…always (In the 80’s as a Jr. High kid) threw smoke, used it to mask pain starting in his sophmore year…all the way through his jr/sr summer…gut started bleeding…the kid was easy major D-1 fodder at the beginning of the year…ended up making it into the Jr College league in Fl. as a walk on…so please be smart guys…particularly you HS/college guys…Tylenol will totally f your kidney’s so stay away from that too.

I completely agree with Thinktank’s take.

It’s all about moderation. And you should never take it for more than a week in a row without taking breaks.

My son usually isent sore after pitching, but, he has found that some swimming is helpful. Nothing crazy, no hard long swim, but, I nice swim for 20 minutes or so, breast stroke, regular overhead stroke ect.

The description of where the pain occurs is too vague. Generally, pain in the elbow needs to be addressed at the cause - not just the symptoms using pain killers. Elbow pain could be due to a number of causes, including mechanics, current workload, previous workload, current injury, previous injury, poor conditioning, etc. JD is correct about the use of pain killers.

Gotta be careful here. Arm injuries to pitchers can start under one coach’s watch and manifest themselves under a subsequent coach’s watch. You might work with a pitcher who has good mechanics but that says nothing about the pitcher’s prior mechanics or workload the he had under a previous coach.

Gotta be careful here. Arm injuries to pitchers can start under one coach’s watch and manifest themselves under a subsequent coach’s watch. You might work with a pitcher who has good mechanics but that says nothing about the pitcher’s prior mechanics or workload the he had under a previous coach.[/quote]

There is an inherent risk with throwing the baseball. Because someone that has eye pleasing mechanics doesn’t keep them from being sore. I take that back. I have had 500’s of kids and players that elbow got sore. I see your point Roger but having good mechanics (what determines that, House, Nyman, ???) doesnt keep you from becoming sore or injured.

Gotta be careful here. Arm injuries to pitchers can start under one coach’s watch and manifest themselves under a subsequent coach’s watch. You might work with a pitcher who has good mechanics but that says nothing about the pitcher’s prior mechanics or workload the he had under a previous coach.[/quote]

There is an inherent risk with throwing the baseball. Because someone that has eye pleasing mechanics doesn’t keep them from being sore. I take that back. I have had 500’s of kids and players that elbow got sore. I see your point Roger but having good mechanics (what determines that, House, Nyman, ???) doesnt keep you from becoming sore or injured.[/quote]

I’m assuming that you aren’t completely ruling out mechanics as a potential cause, are you? Mechanics play just as large of a role as being in peak physical condition. I’ve seen dozens of players personally who are in top shape that can’t throw very well and get sore after throwing because they have terrible mechanics.

I believe there are certain mechanical flaws that most people around here would agree upon. If we can see a video of his mechanics, workout schedule, current physical condition, then we can try to diagnose him.

[quote=“Baseballthinktank.com”]
There is an inherent risk with throwing the baseball. Because someone that has eye pleasing mechanics doesn’t keep them from being sore. I take that back. I have had 500’s of kids and players that elbow got sore. I see your point Roger but having good mechanics (what determines that, House, Nyman, ???) doesnt keep you from becoming sore or injured.[/quote]

Steven explains good mechanics as the type that allow the pitcher to remain injury free and produce desirable, repeatable results. We could define them that way…

I’m assuming that you aren’t completely ruling out mechanics as a potential cause, are you? Mechanics play just as large of a role as being in peak physical condition. I’ve seen dozens of players personally who are in top shape that can’t throw very well and get sore after throwing because they have terrible mechanics.

I believe there are certain mechanical flaws that most people around here would agree upon. If we can see a video of his mechanics, workout schedule, current physical condition, then we can try to diagnose him.[/quote]

BenFA,

My point is that mechanics are just a small part of the equation. To most it seems that mechanics are the answer. I think the person that is capable of “diagnosing” is the player himself. I just don’t think mechanics are the end all and I am not suggesting that you are either. I

I think soreness is OK. In fact, invite soreness. Be aggressive with the soreness. I think more kids get sore and hurt based on the lack of throwing and preparing the arm than because of bad mechanics. MANY MORE!!!
More times than not, the arm breaks down because the body/arm is not prepared for the demands of pitching. Mechanics are like politics, everyone has an opinion and we will never all agree. So, why not allow the players to make adjustments internally before reaching out to others. Before that can ever happen:
There has to be intent as the driving force
It has to be measured or promoted
He has to find ways to create a feel to the change through adjustments or positioning

What we See and what they Feel is going to be 2 different things. Create an environment of “feel” versus others seeing and the body will begin to make its own changes.

[quote=“kylejamers”][quote=“Baseballthinktank.com”]

Steven explains good mechanics as the type that allow the pitcher to remain injury free and produce desirable, repeatable results. We could define them that way…[/quote]

Agree on 2 fronts but not with allowing the pitcher to remain injury free, reduce the risk, yes. But that still does not answer the concept of good mechanics. That will differ from eye to eye and as soon as the guy with “mechanics that never suffered an injury” suddenly gets hurt, guess what? That guy had “bad mechanics.”

Hahahhahahah - Right.

I suppose that is the nature of this type of situation. Who do ‘we’ say has good mechanics? - I want to emulate that pitcher - get hurt - then blame them.

I can see it now -

‘He just wanted to be like his boyhood idol’