Recovery

I recently posted and article about me having arm pain. I pitched the other night and heres my line.

7IP 5H 3R 3ER 2BB 5K

we ended up winning the game 6-3, but anyway what are your secrets to faster recovery guys? Any tips?

My arm felt really good the other night, now im just wondering on how to increase my recovery time

First off before the game I run 5 poles then 5 or so sprints (90 feet) HARD This get me sweating and blood pumping to my musclesl this helps in getting you loose to avoid arm trouble. Then after the game I run 5 more poles. Then I go home and ice 20 min on 20min off 2 times. Then I run 10 poles the following day at practice/pregame. Then 10 poles and 10 sprints along with light throwing for the next three or four days to my next start and repeat. The day before your next start throw a light, 75%, bullpen throwing 34-40 pithches working on getting your groove back and gaingin the commmand of your pitches. I hope this will help. I had arm troubles before I started doing tis but it really helps. It also helps get ready for the game such as when you are doing the pregame poles only be thinking how you are going to approach the game. How you are going to work batters. So not only are you getting your body ready but your mind ready as well.

thanks for replying man, yeah that makes since… I should start running… Anyone take any supplements?

What miamibaseball is saying is that you need to do some aerobic work right after your performance as well as the next few days. This work increases the blood flow to the arm which brings more oxygen and other nutrients that help the arm recover. Of course, the other part of this is proper nutrition. In order for the blood to bring nutrients to the arm, you need to be eating properly to supply your body with those nutrients.

Studies have shown that pitchers who recover faster generally are more successful. So now you should be able to see the connection between proper nutrition and successful performances.

Usually a day after I throw a game, i’ll pop a couple advil in when I wake up, then stretch every muscle in my arm a lot. Say, 20 minutes of continuous stretching. That night, i’ll light toss. Nothing major, but it’s much better than doing nothing. Icing works for some and not for others, and it doesn’t work for me.

Give the arm 36 hrs to 48 to heal after a performance, Roger is right about the nutrition. I just heard a recommendation yesterday that running a progressive program of sprint 90 walk 90, run 180 walk 90, sprint 220 walk 90, run 440, walk 90 and then back down to opposite way, next day, was aerobically optimum for yourself. Light toss, flat work after the 36/48, for 1 to 2 days then back to your normal bullpen.

As far as supplementing, you could start taking fish oil (caplets or straight) and flax seeds (real seeds, straight oil, or pills). I am sure there are plenty of ‘miracle pills’ out there that promise alot, but I have been using both of these and you can really feel the difference the day after a long workout.

[quote=“Wooddell89”]I recently posted and article about me having arm pain. I pitched the other night and heres my line.

7IP 5H 3R 3ER 2BB 5K

we ended up winning the game 6-3, but anyway what are your secrets to faster recovery guys? Any tips?

My arm felt really good the other night, now im just wondering on how to increase my recovery time[/quote]run run run, run 5-6 poles after u throw, ice your arm, throw long toss the next day and then throw 75 percent teh next coupel days

Just about everyone has some good ideas on here. Run, run run. If you want to lift some to build arm strength that works too. Stretching is always good for the arm and also if you can long toss, if done correctly i feel that it builds strength and also stretches the arm out.