Recovering from injury, please help analyze my mechanics

Hello to all.

My name is Kyle Roelfsema and I am a junior Lefty pitcher at Valley City State University in North Dakota. Coming in as a freshman I had an average fastball, 82-83MPH; however, as my freshman year progressed I was asked to do certain excersises that I was told would get me stronger and allow me to throw with more velocity. I was also asked to change certain areas of my mechanics. The combinaion of these two things (along with my eagerness to gain 4-5MPH) is what I believe caused a significant decrease in my velocity (gunning 68MPH by the end of that year) as well as a laberal tear in my left shoulder. I had surgery on the 23rd of December of last year and I am now, after a long abscence, able to start throwing off the mound again.
  I am currently gunning in at 71-74 MPH. I realize my dream of playing baseball at a professional level is a washout now, but I really feel as though I have a lot to prove to my teammates, my coach and mostly myself at this point. If you guys could please take a look at the footage I have recorded of myself and give me a few ideas as to how I could be more effective with my delivery, I don't think I could thank you enough. 
 The video is about 2 and a half minutes and shows me from the first base side, behind the mound and from the catcher's POV. 
 I'm turning to the people here because I have little to no trust in my current coach and I believe that following his suggestions will only hurt me indefinitly. 
 The things I think I've noticed is that my stride is a little long, I'm not releasing the ball out in front of my knee, and I seem to bend my back awkwardly. I also think that I'm not getting the kind of seperation between my hips and my shoulders that I want. 
 If you have any drills to fix the errors in my mechanics please feel free to suggest them. 
 Please help, it's more than just wanting to improve myself, its a matter of pride. I feel I'm in dangerous waters of reinjuring myself if I don't correct my mistakes.

Link to video

It might be helpful to add what exercises you were doing and what changes in your mechanics you were asked to make.

You seem to have the desire part of the equation conquered.

Send me the video and I’ll go through it frame by frame.

chris@chrisoleary.com

I can’t see much that’s obvious right now, but if I had to guess, I’d say that your shoulders start rotating before your forearm is vertical and in the high cocked position. This causes the PAS upper arm to externally rotate especially hard and much.

Your mechanics look pretty decent. You need to get your arm strength back. I’d suggest good old long toss. Shoulders don’t always recover fully.

“It might be helpful to add what exercises you were doing and what changes in your mechanics you were asked to make.”

The drills I was asked to do were towel drills. I think this is a good drill if practiced with knowledge, but I believe that I was taught wrong and it changed my stride lengh as well as release point. I was also put on a weight lifting program that all players were placed on. It was the program the football team uses; this has since been changed for pitchers. 

I was also asked to change the mechanics of my lower half from the hips down, from where I stood on the mound to my leg lift, hip rotation etc. and was asked to change my arm angle to more of a side arm motion in order to be tougher on left handed batters.
One afternoon we were throwing in a box drill and my arm just went limp, I couldn’t lift it at all. The trainer said it was an impinged nerve so i never thought anything of it; played through the pain that spring and the summer. the next year it still bothered me so i went to a sports doctor and had an MRI done, that’s when I found out I had torn my laberum.

good to have another north dakotan here, i’ll check the video out later, its blocked here at the school im at

Tanner, great school to pick. A good friend of mine by the name of Jeremy Horst went there. He’s in Georgia now; I played with him in the WMBL up in canada a few summers ago.

what i realized is that you throw a lot like roger clemens (lefty though) there’s something wrong with that glove side leg and your shoulders sometimes. you should look every single videos of roger clemens and compare with yours. everything you do that looks bad to my eyes are what roger clemens is not doing. seriously, you’re so close to his delivery that should mimic it on every points. that would help you to get back your velocity and let’s say clemens has a pretty good way to throw the ball so that might reduce your injuries.

there is for sure something wrong with the rght leg i just can’t be sure of it.

here’s some videos from his warmup pitches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sHF6i7pF18&mode=related&search=

notice how is leg is moving in smoother way but he still finish like you. i think he’s reverse-rotating it a bit more and that would increase your velocity

The problem with your mechanics is you are not striding out far enough so your elbow and shoulder can get in the right possision. Email me at jay21328@aol.com if u want to talk or aim me at jay21328.

Thanks 4 pie for the links of clemens. Thank you also to Jay for your comments. I’ll for sure e-mail you about that. How much further do you think I should be striding Jay?

do u have arm problems because with the mechanics you have now you might get a injury. Your shoulder is not high enough and this will lead to some shoulder pain in the front capsel. in the future try to get your arm up more quickly in the high cocked position.

you can reach me at Jay21328@aol.com or if u have aim jay21328

[quote=“Jay21328”]do u have arm problems because with the mechanics you have now you might get a injury. Your shoulder is not high enough and this will lead to some shoulder pain in the front capsel. in the future try to get your arm up more quickly in the high cocked position.

you can reach me at Jay21328@aol.com or if u have aim jay21328[/quote]

I dont’ see what you mean that his shoulder is not high enough.

I see that his arm comes forward late, that his timing is off in that way, but you’re confusing me with saying his shoulder is “not high enough” … which side view do you see this in?

his shoulder/elbow r to low when he is rotating this could cuase injury slow the video down when his leg hits you will know what i mean.

do you mean this: that when he’s in the cocked position his glove side shoulder is disproportionally higher than his pichiting arm side shoulder?

sort of like a shot-put, right?

that’s kind of what i mean but not really look how he is shot putting the ball someone look at roger clemens for an example he is not in that postion in no way look for your self. look at when he hit’s the ground compare them and you will know what im tlking about.
http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/Documents/PitcherAnalysis_RogerClemens.pd

look at his head not even looking at the target do you have control problems i wounder?

he does have a very odd arm action

I have not had any major control problems, but i know what your saying.

I feel like I throw the ball differently since my surgery; I believe some of it is a subconcience thing becasue of the injury, i may be tryin to protect something but actually injuring myself in other ways. How should my arm action look? I’m not quite sure on what i should be doing to correct it.
Also, I’ve noticed in my video that i’m starting the rotation of my torso and shoulders even before my foot hits the ground. is that normal? should I make a concience effort to make sure that front foot is planted before rotating?