Recommendations on slow motion/analyzing software

I need any recommendations on software that I can analyze my videos of my son Pitching, Catching, and Hitting without paying too much. I see a lot of expensive software that may or may not be what I need. I was hoping there was video software that I could slow down, stop frame by frame if needed and then be able to save in slowmotion to a format that is downloadable and descent sized files. I don’t need all the bells and whistles just the basics. Thanks for your help!!!

gtjackets

Instead of software I recommend looking into the Casio Exilim line of high speed video cameras. These cameras offer a frame capture rate of 210-1000 frames per second versus 30 fps for standard video.

I’m very happy with the EX-FH20 but they also make less and more expensive cameras. These cameras aren’t going to win any photographic prizes but are, IMO, incredible values for what they offer. My only caution is to make sure to evaluate your zoom lens needs before you purchase.

You can download Quicktime for free. It will play gif, .avi or .mov files that you can move through frame by frame (using the arrow keys on your keyboard).

The youtube videos people like to post won’t work on it though (but I feel that the youtube video aren’t any good most of the time for analysis anyways - at least frame by frame analysis).

PowerChalk is a cool online video editing software that I’ve seen (and used). It basically allows coaches to slow down video, and do markups, overdubs, (& much more) right over video you upload (or bring over from YouTube). The markup editor is fairly easy to use and is well laid out especially since it uses the good ole flash browser plug-in. The marked up videos called “ChalkTalks” allow the student to see & hear realtime what the coach is talking about. They already have quite a public library of sports (BB Pitching, golf etc)… Kinda of like a YouTube on steroids.

I’ve noticed several pitching coaches currently using the chalk talks tool for there students. ie(
http://powerchalk.com/play.php?vid=5072
)
Their public section has quite a few pitching videos Pro’s and wana-a-bees alike. PowerChalk has a free limited membership you can try, which allows short videos (based on disk space) but enough to make several pitching length videos. Try it out at http://PowerChalk.com

I swear I don’t work for these guys but as a software developer I’m always impressed at what this kind of technology can empower the coach to do.

Would be willing to bet LTP will some day have something like this built right in Right Steve? 8)

PT

Check out Rightview Pro or Dartfish…two solid programs

I make the following suggestions because your son may or may not continue with the experience - and you don’t want to be saddled with expensive stuff that you’ll end up unloading at a tag sale one or two seasons from now.

Try out HOW the entire video, analyzing thing is going to fly between you and your son, and/or his coach(s). Some youngsters really don’t respond well to breaking down to the nth-degree what their suppose to be having fun with.

So, get yourself a cheap digital video camera. Something that the entire family can enjoy regardless of your intended use now. Then, purchase a basic no-frills DVD recorder, something that’ll burn DVD’s that you can play back on your DVD player.

When you play the DVD back, you can pause and forward or backward as you like to see frame for frame exactly what it is that your looking for.

Now here’s the part that gets a little dicey - who’s going to analyze this stuff … you. Is there someone who can pick up on the little things that the youngster can grow with, and understand those things that will change as the youngster gets older, more pronounced with his strength and endurance? In addition, there are many who visit this web site that are very skilled at offering advice for video that’s posted. But then again, you’ll get pro’s-n-con’s that can sometimes leave you guessing… who’s right and who’s not.

Investing in the stuff is great and to your credit your son will thank you for it later. But, things have a way of going by the wayside when dad starts to coach his boy. Rides home in the family car after a bad day on the field, or a practice session that dad is paying for, can make life miserable for a youngster.

So just a word of caution – be reasonable with the analyzing thing. Don’t go investing in a lot of dough$ right off the bat… do the cheapest thing possible, just to get your feet wet and if the young man doesn’t keep pace with the money spent … at least it’s been quality time for dad and son.

I honestly don’t mean to be prejudgemental, that’s not my intent of this advice.

I sincerely wish you and your boy the very best with your baseball experience.

Coach B.

what do you consider expensive? how much do you want to spend, $100, $200, $300?

do you already have a laptop and video camera or are you starting from scratch?

I have a computer (not a laptop), video camera, dvd player, and software to view slow motion and frame by frame but no sofware that will save in slow motion. My camera will save to mpeg2 files (big to download) but so far everything has not been able to open this file. (not sure why). I can save fast motion to avi file but this is huge and too big to download. Software is really all I’m looking for and I would consider $100 to be expensive for just it. I do not have a web address so no where to put these files. So far I have used youtube but I can’t save in slowmotion so it is useless. I know this is more than you asked but if you can help it would be great.

Thanks again

the best solution i have found for under $100 is a sony dvd player/recorder from wal-mart and an old tube tv. the dvd deck will go one frame at a time and slo-mo, then you can draw lines on the tv with a dry erase marker when you need to. i have had good success with this.

the easiest software to use and you can print out progression photos is rightview pro. it has major league hitters on the software for analysis and comparison. i really like it but i think it is $250 to $300.

that’s what i’d do. you’re fixed for about $60