Recent Elbow Injury

To start off, I’m a 13 year old pitcher. Last season, my idiotic AAU coach pitched me a full game, 93 pitches, in cold weather, also in my first appearance of the year. This lead to me pitching the whole year with a screwed up elbow, yet I still managed to throw in the low 60’s. Then I started to realize in all-stars that something was messed up in my elbow when we made it to the New England Regional Cal Ripken tourney in Nashua, NH. Now I haven’t been on a mound since late July. And I’m also making the transition to the babe ruth field and I’ve been rehabbing my arm for the past 1-2 months.

Do you think I will have more velocity than I did before I had the elbow injury or will this injury affect my velocity and make it drop?

Just taking time off wont by itself make you throw faster, how about maturity, body strength and technique. Just because your arm/elbow hurt didn’t mean that you were throwing with less velocity last year, I would definately consider things like # of pitches, climate and situations with respect to when and how I pitch this year. You are 13, when my kids were 13 we kept their pitch limits to 100- 110 pitches per week. Their coaches had to work within those numbers and it kept them healthy.

Last year there was a noticeable decrease in velocity by 5-6 mph from the year before, it even had an impact on my hitting. I’ve started doing around a 100-120 pitch count per week as well.

Is there a doctor in there anywhere?
Get it checked, don’t just expect it to be better. You call your coach idiotic…where were you, and your parents…and then going through an entire season like that??? Get wise there Doug…no one is responsible for your health but you and your folks, blaming isn’t the way. Prepare, condition, perform…at 13 you need to always think about the future if this is what you love to do…no game, no team, no coach at your age means anything, if it hurts stop and get it fixed, however it needs be fixed, get better and get back on the path you’ve chosen.

I was looking past the obvious…good catch jdfromfla, that should be the first stop. Something else great in your post is the responsibility of the player and any other responsible parties. Hope you aren’t playing early season this year.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Is there a doctor in there anywhere?
Get it checked, don’t just expect it to be better. [/quote]
I did get it checked… I’m not dumb… It was a ligament tear in my elbow… And I’m on a program to rehab it. I didn’t want to throw the whole game but I was on a roll and he wouldn’t take me out despite the fact we were losing 2-0.

Let me understand this, you are 13, you tore a ligament in your elbow last spring in a cold game, finished the game…finished the season, finally took the winter off to recoup, more specifically 1-2 months and you are asking if we might have thought you were dumb? I don’t mean to be rude but a ligament tear can take as little as 3 months to heal and as long as 12 -18 months depending on the severity of the injury. Your initial question was about velocity, I really wouldn’t worry about that in the least bit, I would be worried about 2 things, #1) am I cleared to pitch right now, “by my doctor”, not my coach, dad, mom, 1st cousin, myself or anyone else and if the doctor said it was ok to finish last season with the tear I would get a new doctor right now, not next week but have a second opinion now. #2) can I totally throw without pain, if the tear still bothers you in any way, stop throwing until the pain goes away and work on non-stress strengthening exercises more such as bands.

I am not sure what your total situation really is but I am sure that others will have the same opinion that I have.

No but for a 13 yr old you have an aweful lot to learn about respect…no worries…keep that attitude and baseball as a future will fade quickly.
AND I don’t recall a single sentence or even word that would indicate someone “thought” you “were dumb”. YOU left that information out, I guess you were too brilliant to realize it IS absolutely the most key piece of information here. Good luck there sparky.
Also the man didn’t have a gun to your head (On a roll :roll: whatever)…you tell your folks your arm hurts and you ain’t pitching anymore and they take you to the doctor…your coach??? He gets someone else and gets over it.

I wasn’t aware I had a ligament tear until after the season… I informed my parents about the pain but I didn’t see a doctor until August… And it took 3-4 months to heal after seeing a doctor. Sorry but it’s common sense to see a doctor, I’m not going to be a complete idiot and ignore and put the rest of my baseball career in jeopardy…

So, I am assuming you are medically cleared now? Next, are you throwing with no pain at all?

Yes, I’m medically cleared. And so far no pain I should be on a mound next weekend. The only pain I’ve had was in my tricep which according to my doctor and coach was just because I hadn’t thrown in a while. But that went away after a few rehab sessions so no, nothing major.

Ok, sorry to be so hard on you earlier…maybe I was a bit in-sensitive but just to win a game is not the right reason to continue to pitch with pain. I think the next thing is to begin a pitching rehab, no concern about velocity, it will come with maturity and your body getting back into pitching shape. Do a 25 pitch bullpen at about 50-60%, run 2-3 poles afterwards, ice if there is any discomfort, take a day or more off and then do that again.

No problem, and I was fine during the game, the impact actually took place after the game. And I’ve done around 15 throwing sessions up to 100 feet, this weekend if I feel no pain on a mound from 50-75% I’m going to try a 30 pitch full speed session, due to JV tryouts right around the corner.

I don’t understand, you are 13, but trying out for the high school team? I guess I am a little confused on your age or your grade.

I’m in 8th grade and my towns a little weird the high school goes from 8-12.

But still they usually only let Freshman to Seniors play on the teams. Do you only have JV and Varsity?

Yeah we just have JV and varsity at our school.

Buwhite…jdfromfla…I sympathize with you both. You’re obviously having a rough time trying to get through to this 13-year-old who thinks he knows it all. I keep thinking of one major league pitcher—I wish I could remember his name—who had a serious arm injury but never told his manager or his pitching coach because he wanted to keep pitching, and next thing you know he blew out his elbow altogether, screwed up his rotator cuff, and had to have Tommy John surgery. He was never the same after that and soon dropped out of baseball.
I’m afraid that this kid is headed in the same direction, despite his rehab efforts, because he waited too long to get medical attention. And that pitching coach of his is a few innings short of a complete game himself—what business did he have pitching the kid in bad weather and for longer than was good for him—just to win ball games? SHEEEEESH! I’ll never understand it. :roll:

[quote=“Zita Carno”]Buwhite…jdfromfla…I sympathize with you both. You’re obviously having a rough time trying to get through to this 13-year-old who thinks he knows it all. I keep thinking of one major league pitcher—I wish I could remember his name—who had a serious arm injury but never told his manager or his pitching coach because he wanted to keep pitching, and next thing you know he blew out his elbow altogether, screwed up his rotator cuff, and had to have Tommy John surgery. He was never the same after that and soon dropped out of baseball.
I’m afraid that this kid is headed in the same direction, despite his rehab efforts, because he waited too long to get medical attention. And that pitching coach of his is a few innings short of a complete game himself—what business did he have pitching the kid in bad weather and for longer than was good for him—just to win ball games? SHEEEEESH! I’ll never understand it. :roll:[/quote]
Good post, but a few things…

1. How do I think I know it all?
  2. What did me pitching that game have to do with my pitching coach? It was my AAU Coach. My pitching coach was drafted by the Dodgers and has scouted for several MLB teams, and he also works with Carl Pavano.

Make those sort of comments and we get the picture really quick.