Reccomended pitching books

can any one reccomend any?

“Nolan Ryan’s Pitchers Bible” by Tom House and Nolan Ryan. Get instructional stuff, good work outs and the mindset of pitching. We got our copy on E-bay.

Here is a start…

Nolan Ryan’s Pitching Bible is great and also Leo Mazzone’s Pitch like a Pro.

Good luck!

:smiley:

Is this a good book?

Louisville Slugger Complete Book of Pitching

It sounds good, I’m willing to buy it, what do you guys think?

[quote=“KreGg”]Is this a good book?

It sounds good, I’m willing to buy it, what do you guys think?[/quote]

I think it’s a pretty good book. So are Joe “Spanky” McFarland’s book and Tom Seaver’s book.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“KreGg”]Is this a good book?

I think it’s a pretty good book. So are Joe “Spanky” McFarland’s book and Tom Seaver’s book.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I just bought this book via eBay. I should be getting it in a week or two.

[quote=“KreGg”]Is this a good book?

I think that book has one of the best written descriptions of pitching mechanics around. It’s not easy to describe mechanics in writing.

I would also recommend Tom House’s book, The Art and Science of Pitching. This is his latest so if you’re planning to get any Tom House book, this would be the one to get.

I think McFarland’s book is somewhat outdated. IIRC, Mazzone’s book is largely about throwing between pitching outings - not so much about pitching itself (e.g. mechanics).

Roger you seem very Tom House oriented, do you know anything about his clinic in Boling Green Ky, in August?

The Act of Pitching by Proffessor Bagonzi is excellent. He covers just about everything, Ian.

ian demagi
I find “The Act of Pitching” by Bagonzi to be very good re: grips and pitch types but misses the point completely when it comes to mechanics. For example, he states that the hips and shoulders come together, something that no hard throwing pitcher does.

[quote=“dm59”]ian demagi
I find “The Act of Pitching” by Bagonzi to be very good re: grips and pitch types but misses the point completely when it comes to mechanics. For example, he states that the hips and shoulders come together, something that no hard throwing pitcher does.[/quote]

I came to basically the same opinion.

JD,

Yes, I am Tom House-oriented. I’ve studied his teachings for a few years now and recently went through the NPA coach’s certification clinic. I have not attended any of the other camps they offer so I can only comment based on what I read in the camp descriptions on the NPA’s website.

However, in looking through the description of the camp in Bowling Green, I think that sounds like a good camp. It appears to cover proper mechanics (from Tom House’s perspective), provides feedback on mechanics and a plan for improvement, and provides information on strength and conditioning work for staying healthy. Parents/coaches of the participants are also invited to attend and participate and that allows them to learn the concepts and help reinforce them for their pitcher down the road. Finally, it appears to cover drills that can be used to practice different aspects of the mechanics they teach. Should be good stuff.

I feel this is a good point in time to attend an NPA camp because Tom House has recently updated his information and you’ll get the latest and greatest and, most likely, the most accurate information he’s ever published. I really like Tom’s approach of analyzing video of pitchers and identifying the things that all the best pitchers have in common and formulating those things into teaching points.

One last point… I think $250 (for 14 and under - 15 and older is $299) is about as cheap as you can get for NPA camps.

Thanks Roger,
Thats what I was thinking. My sons pitching coach also agrees. Now it’s working it out. Could you spare the link you used I have been looking and i can’t seem to recall it.

The National Pitching Association (NPA) website is:

http://www.nationalpitching.com

or

http://www.nationalpitching.net

The first link is basically a commercial for their new video series. The seond link gets you into the main website.

By the way, if you go to the second link above, click on the “Coaches” link in the upper left part of the page and then scroll down and click on the link at the bottom, you can locate NPA-certified instructors in your state.

dm59 wrote:
ian demagi
I find “The Act of Pitching” by Bagonzi to be very good re: grips and pitch types but misses the point completely when it comes to mechanics. For example, he states that the hips and shoulders come together, something that no hard throwing pitcher does.

I came to basically the same opinion

I did not agree with everything either, but the book itself was overall very good. It was very complete and functions as a begining road map for any style of pitcher.

which is better? Pitch Like a Pro or The Art and Science of Pitching?

That depends on what you’re looking for. Pitch Like a Pro is pretty much useless if you’re looking for help with mechanics. The other one, if it’s the one by Tom House, I don’t know about. Roger might be able to shed some light on it. The Science and Art of Baseball Pitching by Brent Rushall and Dick Mills is a very good read if you’re open to criticism of former research studies (not many people are).

The Art and Science of Pitching contains the following sections:

Section I - Pitching Biomechanics

This section contains 8 chapters. House breaks the pitching deliver down into 6 imperatives (not absolutes!) and 1 inevitable. The first 7 chapters are devoted to these 6 imperatives and 1 inevitable. The 8th chapter shoots down a lot of conventional wisdom.

Section II - Building Skills With Drills

This section contains 2 chapters that present flat ground and mound drills.

Section III - Pitching Goals, Strategies and Tactics for Competition

This section contains 3 chapters - 1 for each of the subjects in the section’s title.

Section IV - Functional Fitness, Mental/Emotional Management, Nutrition, and Arm Care for Health and Performance

This section contains 4 chapters - 1 for each of the subjects in the section’s title.