Reason for not following through

I have always had a problem following through, is a likely cause that I’m not using my hips properly? I feel like my hips, (although my hip involvement has improved over the past few months) still aren’t generating really enough power. I feel like I’m throwing with all arm right now

Oh, Priceless! Didn’t anyone ever tell you THE secret? Well, let me share it with you. THE secret, which I learned long ago and which is one of the key elements in pitching, is getting your whole body into the action, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, so that the arm and shoulder are basically just going along for the ride. Doing this not only generates more power behind the pitches but also takes a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder, and the follow-through comes naturally.
I learned THE secret when I went to the original Yankee Stadium, many moons ago, every chance I got. I watched the pitchers closely, and I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three pitchers—Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat—were all doing the same thing. They were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seemed to me, seamless) motion. I watched them, and I saw exactly how they were doing it, and I made a mental note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential aspect of good mechanics I found that not only was I getting more power into my pitches (not that I was particularly fast), but also throwing harder with less effort. Later on when I was working with Ed Lopat—and what an absolutely incredible pitching coach he was!—he helped me refine this move. And for all that, I never had a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else.
So there you have it. That is THE secret, and now that you know it, you can go ahead and make good use of it. And you’ll be following through on your pitches. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: